General Discussion Triathlon Talk » do you go into IM heavier or lighter? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-06-20 10:46 AM

User image

Regular
Akron
Subject: do you go into IM heavier or lighter?
I think I have been doing a decent job in nutrition for Im training. This week I feel terribly over weight! I thought I kept my nutrition in line over the weekend and this week. I am female and it's not PMS. I know heavy work outs will make you weigh more the next day unless you are dehydrated, but I've been feeling like this all week. How long does it take for you to feel back to normal after a good week of work outs? I did have to up my caloric intake over the past month for higher volume because I was constantly hungry, but I am not eating gigantic amounts of cake or anything silly like that. Do you ever feel like this? I wander if it is because I have taken off running for the past week to heal an injury up. I'm going to start tracking my calories for the next couple of weeks. It seems like everyone that does IM goes into the race with an ideal race weight with weight loss. I def. don't want to go in being heavier!

2012-06-20 10:54 AM
in reply to: #4271491

User image

Regular
Parker, Colorado
Subject: RE: do you go into IM heavier or lighter?
The lighter the better, especially for a hilly course, but not to the point of not having enough fuel to put in quality workouts and have energy to get through the day. I personally count calories very closely, and try to stay within a couple of hundred calories of what I know I need to maintain (or lose a little) weight every day. The only workouts I fuel during are long runs and rides - short and medium workout calories burned count entirely towards the daily energy burn and provide some room for extra calories during meals.
2012-06-20 11:29 AM

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
When I'm in the thick of Ironman building it sometimes feels like my body loses its mind. I'll get bloated and feel boggy. I attribute it to just my body dealing with the high training and food intake and just trying to manage it-and sometimes it stumbles.

I'm also feel that, for me, since I'm pretty little(5'4, 116 pounds) any little bloat feels huge because it has nowhere to go but straight out, where someone bigger may not notice so much.
2012-06-20 11:40 AM
in reply to: #4271514

User image

Champion
Northridge, California

coxma22 - 2012-06-20 8:54 AM The lighter the better, especially for a hilly course, but not to the point of not having enough fuel to put in quality workouts and have energy to get through the day. I personally count calories very closely, and try to stay within a couple of hundred calories of what I know I need to maintain (or lose a little) weight every day. The only workouts I fuel during are long runs and rides - short and medium workout calories burned count entirely towards the daily energy burn and provide some room for extra calories during meals.

^^This.  Describes my approach almost 100%.

I know any number of people who ended up gaining unnecessary weight during IM training (a couple of whom DNF'ed).  Generally, that's just fat that isn't particularly helpful, either from a load or a fuel standpoint.  I think there are multiple reasons (huge training loads do play games with your hormones, for starters), but a lot of times people just completely misunderstand the relationship between calories in food and calories burned in training.

I write down everything I take in not just during a long workout, but also before and after.  It can be really eye-opening how many calories you can consume when replenishing after a long ride (on top of what you replaced during the ride) if you actually record them...and then people often still go off with training partners and have unusually large meals (often with lots of alcohol, it being the weekend and all).  Next thing you know, you've managed to replace the 4000-5000 calories you burned on the ride and you're not even done eating for the day.

2012-06-20 1:04 PM

Master
, California

I pretty much stay within about a 10lb range year-round.  Don't worry about a particular week.  If you're shooting for a certain weight and you're not there yet, then you should probably track your progress over time.  You want to identify the overall trend, not minor ups and downs.

Also weigh yourself at the same time of day, otherwise you get more variation.

2012-06-20 1:26 PM

User image

I'd been fluctuating quite a bit with a gradual decrease in weight over 5 months of training. Fluctuations of 5lbs seem to be normal for me. I've dropped a fair amount in the last month. I'm tapering now and was concerned about packing on an extra 3lbs in the last two weeks, so I've been very careful. My plan was to have a defecit for taper days -10 to -5 and then try to balance pretty close for the last few days prior to the race (this Sunday). My weight went up by a few pounds initially, but is coming back down now.

I anticipate that I will go into my IM slightly lighter than what I weighed two weeks prior.

2012-06-24 4:17 PM
in reply to: #4271900

Expert
Cape Elizabeth, Maine
I hit race weight before taper and three times have gained in the the last few weeks.   My take is "most" of us could still lose more pounds and it would be helpful for almost any distance.  
2012-06-24 4:58 PM

User image

Veteran
austin, Texas

My weight fluctuates a good amount during any week (around 5lbs typically) and it's hard for me to get a gauge if I'm actually gaining or losing weight looking at any single day - but I'm able to see trends over a week or so.     

Also, most people I know that set weight loss goals come up with a number that they want to lose for a race and use that as their bible.  Things like:

- "I used to weigh 180lbs when I played XXX in college, so that's what I want to weigh" or

- "I've gained 15lbs this year, so I want to lose that before my race".  

- "I really need to wear a size 4 pair of jeans because that's what my friend wears"

I think those goals are well and good (and provide great motivation!), but they are rooted in emotion - not based on facts or relevant questions like "what is the ideal weight my body wants to weigh to race at my best"?  

I've felt like you do, but usually it subsides in another week or two.  I wouldn't get discouraged!  If you keep on an extra couple pounds, maybe it's additional muscle mass or your body telling you it needs the extra weight to sustain ~55hrs of workouts a month.  

2012-07-01 9:11 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I have read some interesting articles about IM training and how it effects men and women differently.  Sadly often women gain weight IM training where men lose weight and some men struggle to keep weight on. One coach who trained many IM couples who did similar training and ate most meals together, the man would lose weight where women would gain.

In one week you can't gain that much weight. You are doing LP?  If so, your body is likely carrying a big load of fatigue with all your training.  When was your last rest week?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » do you go into IM heavier or lighter? Rss Feed