Other Resources My Cup of Joe » I think I just stumbled upon a cause for childhood obesity Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2012-06-21 11:58 PM
in reply to: #4271967

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: I think I just stumbled upon a cause for childhood obesity

I think activity is more important than what kids eat.  The only thing I have to reference is my own life.  Then again, I rode thousands of miles on my bike as a kid....and never wore a helmet. My parents never had a clue where we were....we were "down the street".  We rarely had homework...and nobody had a clue that "we are falling behind the rest of the world"...but we sure missed the boat on the metric system..............apparently.  None of us were medicated.  We fought our problems to a bloody nose and then went and played ball.....together. The only letters my parents  got from our school started something like, "sorry we wacked your kid today, he's on our last nerve." WE RAN THROUGH THE MOSQUITO FOGGER!!! (one of you smart arses will say, "oh, that's what  happened to you".....not, it's not, we once climbed 4 hours through a storm sewer back to our house from the park, and I was blinded when we crawled out.....and I never got over it...THAT'S what happened)   Sometimes we got picked last for dodgeball (not me, of course, but someone did Laughing  ) ......we lived.   My mother raised us on fried chicken, liver and onions, bisquits and gravy, whole milk, and greens.  

It's a damn good thing we got as smart as we are......so we could fix all that.

Edited by Left Brain 2012-06-22 12:05 AM

2012-06-22 12:58 AM
in reply to: #4274709

User image

Elite
Left Brain - 2012-06-21 11:58 PM

I think activity is more important than what kids eat.  The only thing I have to reference is my own life.  Then again, I rode thousands of miles on my bike as a kid....and never wore a helmet. My parents never had a clue where we were....we were "down the street".  We rarely had homework...and nobody had a clue that "we are falling behind the rest of the world"...but we sure missed the boat on the metric system..............apparently.  None of us were medicated.  We fought our problems to a bloody nose and then went and played ball.....together. The only letters my parents  got from our school started something like, "sorry we wacked your kid today, he's on our last nerve." WE RAN THROUGH THE MOSQUITO FOGGER!!! (one of you smart arses will say, "oh, that's what  happened to you".....not, it's not, we once climbed 4 hours through a storm sewer back to our house from the park, and I was blinded when we crawled out.....and I never got over it...THAT'S what happened)   Sometimes we got picked last for dodgeball (not me, of course, but someone did Laughing  ) ......we lived.   My mother raised us on fried chicken, liver and onions, bisquits and gravy, whole milk, and greens.  

Sure was a different world then!  I used to go off on my bike with a few friends aged about 7 or 8 and we would go ALL day - come home just before dark.  No-one ever worried where we were or that we weren't safe.

I remember my brakes failing on a huge hill and I careered across the freeway narrowly missing all the traffic! 

I ate my first green vegetable around aged 18!  If my dad had a good bonus we got grapes!  Otherwise it was an apple a day and veggies were potatoes.  We never had McDonalds because we would never have had that kind of cash!

I'm thankful my daughter is growing up in a relatively safer country than some but even so no way is she going to the park or the shopping mall on her own yet.  She is very active and we are fortunate enough to have a pool so summer months it's swimming non stop!

2012-06-22 1:39 AM
in reply to: #4274720

User image

Pro
jobaxas - 2012-06-22 12:58 AM
Left Brain - 2012-06-21 11:58 PM

Sure was a different world then!  

Sorry to delete the rest of your post....because I enjoyed it...but I wanted to comment on this sentence.  

I don't think the world was much different than it is now.....I think we are different....we worry too much.  Maybe we've seen too much.  I don't know where my kids are much of the day.  Some would say that makes me a bad parent.  I don't think the world is any more dangerous for my kids then it was for us.....and I've seen the worst as a police officer.  The fact is, your children, and mine, are probably safer today than we were.  Unfortunately, we live in an age where something happens 1000 miles away and it feels like it happens in our backyard because of the media exposure it gets....and we watch.

Today, not one more kid got snatched then did when we were kids.  Not a single kid got hurt worse than any of us did.  Almost none of them are eating worse than we did....in fact, I could argue that the obesity claim is because our children today have MORE access then we ever did to food....good and bad.

The one difference I do truly see is in activity.  Look around.  We are so busy "protecting" our children that they no longer "go to the creek"....or "go to the park".  Hell, I got home from school, grabbed my mitt and my bike, and headed to the park.....there was ALWAYS a game.  Today we drive our kids across town to have a game while we pass 100 kids sitting at home "playing" on xbox....and eating cheetos.

It's wrong.

We are wrong.

Seriously......we've got it wrong.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » I think I just stumbled upon a cause for childhood obesity Rss Feed  

of 3