General Discussion Race Reports! » Scheels High Cliff Triathlon - Half Iron Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Scheels High Cliff Triathlon - Half Iron Course - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Sherwood, Wisconsin
United States
Midwest Sports Events
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 15m 43s
Overall Rank = 87/496
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 10/42
Pre-race routine:

I woke up at 4:00 and ate a clif bar and 400 calories of gatorade powder mixed with water. I got dressed and arrived at transition at around 5:30am.

Got my transition area set up and grabbed my wetsuit and headed down to the beach for the swim start.

Took a GU before the swim start
Event warmup:

I did a little swimming prior to the national anthem.
Swim
  • 41h 01m 5s
  • 2112 yards
  • 1h 56m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was pretty choppy on the way back towards shore. My time is not what I was expecting but looking at others times it looks like everyone was slow. Overall I am pretty happy with my swim, I stayed calm in the choppy water and just focused on my stroke and being as efficient as possible.
What would you do differently?:

Continue swimming closer towards shore(don't walk to soon). I usually swim until my hand hits bottom and them I get up and run to shore.. But with how shallow Lake Winnebago is I should have continued swimming in the shallow water.
Transition 1
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

I used the wetsuit strippers which is awesome!! no need to mess around in transition.

nothing
Bike
  • 2h 33m 15s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.92 mile/hr
Comments:

I was content with my overall bike effort. I pushed some higher watts in the first half of the course and with the wind at my back on the 2nd half my watts dropped. The overall ride felt comfortable the whole time which was what I was aiming for. I could have pushed higher watts but in my head I wanted to have legs to run a good split.

My bike nutrition went really well. I ate 1.5 Stringer waffles(240 calories) during the first 1/2 hour. For the next 2 hours I took in 2 water bottles of EFS single shot mixed with water (400 calories/bottle). I also took 3 salt sticks pills/hour (total 7 pills)

My traps and lats started to hurt around mile 35 which I know slowed me down due to my excessive readjustments which could not have been very aero. I have currently working to resolve this fit issue.
Transition 2
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

T2 was pretty good. Always a tad slow since I put socks on.

nothing
Run
  • 1h 58m 56s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

Even though I paced my bike conservatively I still had really sluggish legs coming off the bike. The run begins with a very big hill you have to climb and turns off into the trails of the state park. I knew right when I left t2 that running a good half marathon split was pretty much out the window and I just need to focus on getting to the finish line and most importantly enjoy my time on the course (which I forget to do a lot). My run time was extremely lower than I anticipated coming into the race for whatever reason but during my ~ 2 hours on the run course I focused on being mental strong (no pity walking) and not being so concerned with pace and focus on the 1st goal. FINISH!

My nutrition on the run course went really well.. I carried a Amphipod hand water bottle which I constantly filled with sports drink at aid stations and sipped on it throughout the race. I took 1 salt stick pill every 1/2 hour (total 3 pills) I took water and ice at every aid station. I put the ice down my tri suit and in my hat. I also had on Desoto arm coolers that I drenched at every aid station as well.

Go deeper into my pain cave :)
Post race

Last updated: 2012-06-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
41:01:05 | 2112 yards | 1h 56m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 24/42
Overall: 0/496
Performance: Average
Suit: Quintana Roo Hydrofull
Course: The course was a triangle
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:09
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:33:15 | 56 miles | 21.92 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/42
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: The course is along the east side of Lake Winnebago.. The first half is mainly heading south and then you turn around head back north.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 92
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:19
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:58:56 | 13.1 miles | 09m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 17/42
Performance: Below average
Course: This is a trail run through High Cliff State Park. This course contain sections of single track, grass, and rock faces.. Very cool course. Most of it is shaded which is pretty cool.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-06-20 2:10 PM

Subject: Scheels High Cliff Triathlon - Half Iron Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Scheels High Cliff Triathlon - Half Iron Course Rss Feed