Batavia, Illinois
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 206/518
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 3:15am and was on the road by 3:45am. Had a half a cup of coffee and a banana
Event warmup:

Set up Transition area and went for a quick little run. Outside of that I paced around a lot, and hit the porta-john
Swim
  • 07m 25s
  • 437 yards
  • 01m 42s / 100 yards
Comments:

I never practiced a run in type start so I could not get into a grove...need to work on that. Swim is my weakest portion and also the area that keeps me up at night.
What would you do differently?:

God I need to improve my swim and get into open water more often. To boot, I also need to practice 'run in' starts.
Transition 1
  • 03m
Comments:

This transition was pretty good. There was a decent amount of ground to cover from the swim to my T-1 set up. Everything came off well and went on pretty quick. Not to shabby for my first ever Transition without a single day of practice if I do say so myself.

Practice a flying mount more. I still have to come to a complete stop to mount/dismount
Bike
  • 47m 18s
  • 14.7 miles
  • 18.65 mile/hr
Comments:

I am a masher so I was able to make up some much needed ground on the bike. I was very happy with the bike portion overall.

Ride harder in the middle and towards the end. I think that I was probably riding around 75% and had too much left in the tank for the run.
Transition 2
  • 02m 11s
Comments:

T-2 was pretty smooth except that I still need to work on flying dismounts. I had to come to a complete stop to dismount and I know that cost me time. Again, I never practiced Transitions prior to the race so overall I am pretty pleased with my performance.

Practice, Practice, Practice
Run
  • 33m 41s
  • 4.1 miles
  • 08m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

Given that I was planning on 9:20 miles and beat that goal by more than a minute I am nto real sure what to say. I stayed within myself and felt great on the run so I gave it all I had.

Not much.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit with my wife and stretched out the hammys while downing water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My comfort level in the swim,and run in starts. I really need to work on some mental issues that I have with water due to an incident years ago.

Event comments:

Great race, good people and a lot of fun.

Last updated: 2012-05-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:25 | 437 yards | 01m 42s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 358/518
Performance: Below average
Suit: Full
Course: A weird two lap swim that was a mixture of swim and run. I hoenstly could not find a decent rhythm so I went between, running, freestyle and butterfly...
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:47:18 | 14.7 miles | 18.65 mile/hr
Overall: 227/518
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: The course was prety flat outside of the first large hill right out of the Transition area. I managed it pretty well given that we had to walk down it for body marking and to get to the Transition area. I had set my gearing for the hill and was able to climb it pretty well. The rest of the course was reasonably flat with some turns.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:11
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:33:41 | 04.1 miles | 08m 13s  min/mile
Overall: 186/518
Performance: Good
Course: The course was flat, shadded and pretty good overall. I wish folks that were out for their SUnday ride on the path would have let us know that they were there a bit more often. There were a couple of occasions that I never heard the bike coming from behind and almost got clipped. Other than that the course was good for me.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-06-21 9:07 AM

Master
SouthSide of Chicago
Subject: Batavia Triathlon

2012-06-21 2:23 PM
in reply to: #4273181

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Subject: RE: Batavia Triathlon

Yay, your first race report! Great job. I think if you pulled 8:13 miles for the run you probably have more speed to dig up on the bike! Run in starts go better with a couple of dolphin dives...you cover a lot more ground and save energy at the same time. Same goes for run out finishes...couple dolphin dives cover lots of that in between ground that is too shallow to swim but fatiguing to run!

Congrats! Are you racing this weekend???

2012-06-21 9:11 PM
in reply to: #4273181

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Batavia Triathlon
Nice job! Speed is all relative by the way. I consider your swim time fast.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Batavia Triathlon Rss Feed