General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » third times a charm Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-06-21 2:56 PM

User image

noblesville
Subject: third times a charm
as the title says this is my third attempt at wanting to be a triathlete. first time was right after my dad passed away i put down the cigarettes and did the couch to 5k, while doing that i noticed knee pain and had to have surgery, did the rehab and then did the couch to 5k again this time i actually finished it, but then i don't know what happened i just didn't feel like doing anything anymore, so after gaining 50 pounds and starting smoking again i felt like i hit rock bottom. i think thats what i needed i have now been back in the gym for a month everyday, found a high school swimmer that is going to help me swim and i already feel better, shooting for a sprint tri first of next year. sorry for the long post i think i needed to see all of this in writing

2012-06-21 3:43 PM
in reply to: #4274028

User image

Elite
Cleveland
Subject: RE: third times a charm
Welcome back and here's to hoping that you see it through this time!

I guarantee, if you finish the first one you'll be hooked and won't want to stop again, or start smoking again.

If you are back to being able to do the 5k, perhaps sign up for a race that's a little sooner to give you more of a sense of urgency to your training. I found that when I first got into it that after not very long, I got antsy just training and couldn't wait to actually just get on with doing the real thing.
2012-06-21 4:35 PM

User image

New user
Dude, I feel ya' with the quitting smoking!!! I started running to quit smoking back in 2004. Then in 2009 started back up due to alot of homelife stress. Stupid on my part, I know. So now, I've signed up for 2 tri's and a marathon and am working on the quitting smoking again. I became a competitive bodybuilder during those years and hit the gym everyday fooling myself into thinking that if I could do that the smoking didn't matter. Well, I'm learning the hard way that WOW IT KILLS YOUR AEROBIC FITNESS!!!! I'm not entirely off of them, but down to 3/day now. It's a struggle for sure. Tell ya' what, I'll keep you honest and you do the same for me and we'll both kick it with these tri's and quitting the habit .
2012-06-25 10:22 AM

User image

noblesville
left the cigs at home all weekend it has been two days now. am going on vacation next month and found a 5k to do while i am there. we will see how it goes
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » third times a charm Rss Feed