General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri Bike Options Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-06-21 8:26 PM

New user

Subject: Tri Bike Options

I'm in the market for my first tri bike, but I have a limited budget. I want to get the best bang for my buck. Assuming fit isn't an issue, which would you choose? Keep in mind that I am going to be training on this all the time, if that makes a difference in your suggestion.

$995 - 2012 Motobecane Nemesis
  • FD - Shimano Tiagra
  • RD - Shimano 105
  • Shifters - Shimano Dura-Ace
  • Aluminum Frame and Carbon Fork

$1095 - 2013 Motobecane Nemesis

• FD - Shimano Tiagra
  • RD - Shimano 105

$1200 - 2011 Quintana Roo Kilo

• FD - Shimano 105
  • RD - Shimano Ultegra

$1200 - 2010 Quintana Roo Tequilo

• FD - Shimano 105
  • RD - Shimano Ultegra

$1250 - 2011 Felt S22

• FD - Ultegra
  • RD - Ultegra
  • Shifters - Microshift

$1295 - 2012 Motobecane Nemesis Pro

• FD - Shimano Ultegra
  • RD - Shimano Ultegra

$1300 - 2011 Kestrel Talon

• FD - Shimano 105
  • RD - Shimano 105
  • Carbon Frame and Fork

$1500 - 2008 Quintana Roo Tequilo

• FD - Shimano Dura-Ace
  • RD - Shimano Dura-Ace

Thanks!

2012-06-21 11:05 PM
in reply to: #4274521

User image

Colchester, VT
Subject: RE: Tri Bike Options
I'm no expert, but in my research to buy a bike, I was schooled in the thinking that you buy the best frame possible because components can be upgraded. So I'd go with the carbon Kestral.
2012-06-22 8:38 AM
in reply to: #4274677

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
novitt - 2012-06-22 12:05 AM

I'm no expert, but in my research to buy a bike, I was schooled in the thinking that you buy the best frame possible because components can be upgraded. So I'd go with the carbon Kestral.

I would agree that picking the best possible frame is the way to go, but I would disagree that that would be the Talon...

First of all, you're all over the map in terms of fit... Felt and QR are two polar opposites. There's nothing more important than buying the bike that fits YOU the best, as you'll be faster on even the least expensive well fitting bike compared to an ill-fitting super bike. The rider accounts for the vast majority of the drag and is responsible for all the energy input (well, almost all... guess you can catch a tailwind once in a while)
2012-06-22 9:05 AM
in reply to: #4275027

New user

audiojan - 2012-06-22 8:38 AM
I would agree that picking the best possible frame is the way to go, but I would disagree that that would be the Talon... First of all, you're all over the map in terms of fit... Felt and QR are two polar opposites. There's nothing more important than buying the bike that fits YOU the best, as you'll be faster on even the least expensive well fitting bike compared to an ill-fitting super bike. The rider accounts for the vast majority of the drag and is responsible for all the energy input (well, almost all... guess you can catch a tailwind once in a while)

I completely understand that. I'm going to try all of them that I can (the Motobecanes are the only ones not at the 3-4 LBSs I'm checking out this weekend). I'm just wondering if the Dura-Ace components on the '08 Tequilo is worth the extra $300 from the 105/Ultegra or $250 from the Ultegra. Is the Tiagra/105 really that much more inferior than the others? I left off a $550 bike that had Sora components as well.

2012-06-22 9:41 AM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
I'd go with one of the Tequilos, personally.
2012-06-22 9:47 AM

User image

Pro

I assume that the Motebecane's are through BikesDirect.com, so comparing just on price isn't really fair, as while BD is legit, they're not going to offer you the support of an LBS.  Also, the Motebecanes, while an old and venerable name in cycling, today is merely a second tier brand.  while I'm sure they are fine, performance wise (i.e. they won't fall apart), when it comes to selling your bike and upgrading in a few years, you'll get far less for the off brand, than you will with something like the Felt.

I'd go with the Felt S22.  Or, add a Cervelo P1 to your list as well.

you might also want to look for a good, slightly used Felt b16 or Cannondale Slice 5  (opposite ends of the fit spectrum), as they've been going for good prices in your range.  both more aero/carbon frames.

2012-06-22 2:56 PM

User image

I'd say stick with the bigger names - QR, Felt, Cervelo . . .  and see what fits the best.  Carbon > Aluminum (though manufacturer could paly a role in that).  Once you know what fits, you can see if you can find a deal in a shop or something used.  As far as components, most say 105 is sufficient, don't go lower than that.  You can't go wrong with Ultregra, and I'd suggest putting extra money that would be required to get Dura-Ace into a better frame (if you're getting a true tri bike with aero bars you'll be getting dura ace shifters anyway since those are the only aero bar shifters Shimano makes). 

Also, I'm guessing for just about anything you're looking at, once you buy it you'll then have to spend $100 on pedals, $100 on shoes, $100 on a seat you actually like, and it just keeps going like that (trisuit, garmin, fancy helmet, and of course $500+ wheels).

2012-06-22 3:41 PM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

People: Carbon DOES NOT AUTOMATICALLY EQUAL BETTER.

Sorry. Just had to vent.

There are great carbon bikes and great aluminum bikes; sh1tty carbon bikes and sh1tty aluminum bikes (and sometimes you can find all of them from one mfr. ). The material alone does not a great bike make.

2012-06-22 10:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, USA

For a first serious bike, another option to consider: get someone who knows what they're doing and go shopping in the local craigslist. Lots of great bikes to choose from in most areas.

2012-06-25 7:43 PM

New user

Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up getting the '10 Tequilo.

As for the craigslist option, I tried, but being 6'3" and only having one city with a population above 40k within a 2-hour drive meant there was literally nothing out there.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri Bike Options Rss Feed