http://www.tuxbro.com
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 54m 12s
Overall Rank = 139/164
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 24/25
Pre-race routine:

Woke up about 5:00 AM and could not get my mind to shut back down so I could sleep. So I laid there for an hour worrying about the swim part of the tri. After the first one I was pretty worried about this swim. After an hour my brother's watch went off, and we both got up. I think he had been awake as well just not sure how long.

We got dressed in our race gear, went down to the hotel breakfast area and grabbed something to eat. I had 2 small orange juices and 2 muffins.

We packed up the gear and headed over to the race site. Got our numbers and set up our transistion area. Stood around talking some, mainly to each other some to others in the area. We had an hour until the pre race meeting, so we both took a short ride and stretched our legs.
Event warmup:

I took about a 5 minute ride prior to the race, mainly to see how my legs were feeling. Stretched a little and talked to a few folks.
Swim
  • 16m 25s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
What would you do differently?:

Not really a whole lot, maybe try to get behind someone that I could draft longer. There were just a lot of bodies out there.
Transition 1
  • 03m 42s
Comments:

Transistion area started 30 yeards from the lake. There were a WHOLE lot of people going through while I was heading there. You had to cross the dirt of the track.

I hit the area, grabbed my towel dried off feet got my socks on and then shoes. Grabbed my shirt it went on better this time, short sleves. Got my helmet and glasses and headed out.

I was able to run with the bike, jumped on it but took a second once I got on the get clicked in.

Not much, did better this time. I still need to practice some, but getting a tri top (on order) will help.
Bike
  • 58m 55s
  • 16.5 miles
  • 16.80 mile/hr

Ride more in aero position, just didn't feel like I could stay there. I need more time riding I think.
Transition 2
  • 02m 12s
Comments:

Hopped off the bike, crossed the mat ran and racked the bike. Grabbed my shoes, which felt wet, put them on and took off.

Not much.
Run
  • 32m 56s
  • 3 miles
  • 10m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

I was really attempting to not walk this time, was trying to keep my pace slow enough that I felt like I could run the whole way. I ended up walking some, because I whimmed out.

I started out pretty fast but then I saw how fast and made myself SLOW down. I think I was on 8-9 minute mile pace, I knew I could not handle that for long.

I felt pretty good in the first mmile, legs were not too dead from the bike. I had a gel at mile 8-9 on the bike, so I was still getting the juice from that. Passed my brother coming back just prior to the mile marker, saw him and pretty much knew there was no way I was going to catch him. That was a pretty hard blow for me. He had spotted me 10 minutes and I knew it was going to be tough. I figure if I had passed him just beyond the mile marker it would be close. But I knew I had 20 minutes to go and there was no way I could make that much time up. I hit the mile marker got some water and walked a short way.

I started running again, just running and walking to keep my self going. I was pretty much zapped, saw the up hill just did the best I could. Got to the turn around and headed back.

Hit the one mile stand again and was jogging a little more, walking and jogging. Fell into a pace with someone else for a bit, then let them go ahaed. Then I fell into a pace with someone else, about 1/2 mile to go I picked it up. Dropped the 2 that I was running with, and was trying to catch one person. I missed catching them by about 50 feet at the end. I think if I had started just a little sooner I would have caught them.

Had a negative split on the final mile, not bad.

Run more, more bricks
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around getting something to eat. Cheered a few more finishers in.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not working hard enough in some of my training. Being 15 pounds over weight (still working on that).

I am doing better, the swim and run are the areas that are hurting me most.

Event comments:

They did have the awards ceremony afterwards but the annoucner rushed it and you could hardly hear him.

The people at the race did not seem any too friendly and not too many racers were cheering for the final finishers.

Last updated: 2006-05-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:25 | 880 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 19/25
Overall: 125/164
Performance: Average
Suit: No
Course: Course was pretty simple, semi retangular course, out turn right at the first bouy. Swim to the next turn right, repeat then get out. There were 3 waves, the first wave looked like it was 40 or so people. The second wave (mine) was at least 80 more likely 100. Last wave I have no idea, but likely in the 40 range. Each wave started 5 minutes apart, which was good. I think they should have broken the waves into 4 groups, it was pretty clogged up out there. I did pretty well go some drafting in, but it seemed like anytime I had a person to draft off I would nearly swim them down. Kept having to go from crawl to breast. I would site while in the breast stroke then switch back to crawl. Even with that I had a pretty fast swim. I did relaxe and not work too hard, I was worried about this becuase last tri I felt so slow and could NOT breath. This one was a lot better, there were a LOT of people around me, so I was in good company.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:42
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:58:55 | 16.5 miles | 16.80 mile/hr
Age Group: 22/25
Overall: 133/164
Performance:
HR was in the 150's to start, and finally came down into the 140's and 120's.
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: Roads were not very smooth, fairly rough plently of pot holes. Wind was crossing and hitting you pretty much the whole way. I am guessing it was in the 10-15 MPH range, pretty strong. I was able to get up to speed, and passed a few people but not very many. Legs felt some what heavy, I think I was kicking too much but I am not sure. That and still trying to recover from a LOT of riding last weekend. First 5 corners were in great shape, not much gravel or hazards. The next 2 were pretty tough, then it settled into fairly clear corners and some pretty good long straight aways. I felt great for the first 6 miles and started getting winded about mile 7-8. Hit the half way point and was I glad, legs were just not hitting it very well. I figured we would get this wind to out back at some point. I did about mile 14, but by then the damage had been done. I should have been on the bar more, but didn't feel like I could breath well. I was drinking but not really often enough.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:12
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:32:56 | 03 miles | 10m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 25/25
Overall: 165/164
Performance: Below average
HR was in the 120-130 range Zone 2-3 for me.
Course: Out and back, one up hill at the turn.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2006-06-05 9:42 AM

User image

Expert
Earth
Subject: The Indiana Downs Triathlon

2006-06-05 9:53 AM
in reply to: #443265

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: The Indiana Downs Triathlon
Congrats.

I was shocked when you showed up next to me in T1, and figured you'd be within 10 minutes at the finish.

(Yea, I was awake for quite a while before my watch beeped.)
2006-06-05 10:29 AM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Great swim and nice finish to the run! Too bad about the people at the race, thats one of the things I like about TRI - that sounded more like the Mtn Bike races I tried several years ago.

Get more training in and improve again on the next one. It is going to be an incredible year.

Were the fish biting?
2006-06-05 11:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I was at that race as well - pretty windy!!

I think I saw either you or your brother; I saw someone with a BT shorts on, was going to introduce myself, but I got preoccupied, and well, I didn't.

I thought the cheering was great!?! You must have some high energy fans where you live, because in our neck of the woods, it does get much better then that, LOL!

I am glad for the wave start, I was in the second as well, I was at a tri the day before with no waves and felt like I was swimming in a sea of octopus's (octopi?)

Good Job!
2006-06-05 11:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio

Great job on your race!  What a neat thing to be able to share with your brother!

Diane

2006-06-05 11:20 AM
in reply to: #443435

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
shadowfax - 2006-06-05 11:03 AM

I was at that race as well - pretty windy!!

I think I saw either you or your brother; I saw someone with a BT shorts on, was going to introduce myself, but I got preoccupied, and well, I didn't.

I thought the cheering was great!?! You must have some high energy fans where you live, because in our neck of the woods, it does get much better then that, LOL!

I am glad for the wave start, I was in the second as well, I was at a tri the day before with no waves and felt like I was swimming in a sea of octopus's (octopi?)

Good Job!

I was the one in BT Tri-shorts. Sounds like a 4th BT'er was there too.

2006-06-05 1:32 PM

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio

Good job getting another tri under your belt!

Sounds like you had a great start on the swim.  Did you do something different this race or were you just more relaxed?

Your run time was really good.  Considering the fact that you walked some, you must have been going a pretty good pace while you were running!

You improved over your first tri - can't ask for more than that!  Don't beat yourself up, you've made a heck of a lot of progress - Nice Job!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Indiana Downs Triathlon Rss Feed