General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Advice needed - Two weeks before first Sprint Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-06-23 11:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Gatineau, Quebec
Subject: Advice needed - Two weeks before first Sprint

Hi, could use some advice as to how to best prepare for my first Sprint on July 07. Keeping in mind i just lost a lot of weight and started running this year after being sedentary for 20 years. Being 48, I realized that I do better with a day off after every 3-4 days of training. I run 2-3 times a week, 0nce 6.3 miles and twice 5.3. I bike 15 miles twice a week and 25 miles once. I swim twice a week for 1250 meters.

I'm two weeks away from the sprint, getting more and more scared, and wondering how i should train those last two weeks.

My goal used to be surviving, but has now changed to not finishing last in my age group.

Would appreciate any advice.

2012-06-23 1:17 PM
in reply to: #4276646

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Advice needed - Two weeks before first Sprint
Sounds like your basing your training off of your own plan and not one of the free plans here on BT. If so you may not be building in rest weeks and I'm curious if your building distance or time or speed? I personally don't know enough to come up with my own plan so I use the free plans here and love them. With that it builds in a nice taper leading up to your race day to keep you active, but ease back the work your doing so that your fresh for your race. It doesn't make sense to be hitting it hard two days before your planning on doing three sports back to back to back. I would say a week to week and a half taper would be more then adequete for you. What is key is that your dialing it back enough to get your body rested and at its best without going completely stagnant.
2012-06-24 1:41 AM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii

Sounds like you are doing great!

I definitely recommend you get enough rest in between your workouts.

It's easy to get too excited and over train. Remember the distances of your race.

I'd make sure you are adding some transitions in your workouts, meaning incorporate a short run after the bike...this better known as a BRICK (or Bike-to-Run). Normally your transition run is short, say a mile after your bike workout.

You can also do this with the swim, either bike or run after for a short (15min), brisk pace.

Give yourself a break a few days prior to the race, rest atleast 1 whole day prior to the race. Preceeding the rest day, you'll want to drop off a bit in the workouts, give your body to recover a bit from anything intense. This is sort of a mini-taper.

make a checklist so you don't forget stuff on race day.

You'll do fine! and remember to have FUN!!

2012-06-24 1:50 AM

User image

Pro
You're good to go!
2012-06-24 6:29 AM

User image

Good for you!  I just completed my second sprint tri this past weekend, so let me just say that I was feeling a bit nervous just like you describe.  Relax, your training will see you through to the finish, and that competitive attitude you have about competing with your age group will serve you well when you have to face that first hill on the bike.

I will echo what someone else above posted, do some brick work, especially going from the bike to the run.  It will take your legs a few minutes to adjust from the motion and muscle use of riding a bike to that of running.  It's not necessarily painful, but it does feel strange for that first quarter mile or so. I would also suggest, if you are not already doing so, practicing your transitions.  I now build transition training time into my workout schedule. During my first tri I found I was really tense at transition--my times weren't so bad, but I could feel myself tensing up as I forced my way through it.  The when I got our of transition I had to tell myself to relax and get settled into a pace.  I worked on transitions for my second race and found that with practice I was much more relaxed and methodical about it.  I got through both T1 and T2 without having to give much though to what I was doing (kind of like getting dressed for work), so I could give my heart rate a chance to settle a bit, and begin thinking about the next stage of the race and not about putting my helmet or sunglasses on first or struggling to get my feet in my bike shoes--practice getting into your bike shoes with them already clipped onto your pedals.  I thought I would never be able to do that, but with practice, it's really not difficult and will save you a little time.

Just my thoughts from a rookie--good luck in the race!

2012-06-24 9:17 AM

I think you are doing great! Those distances to train for a sprint should be excellent in getting you positioned fairly well in your age group. My only advice would be to combine some workouts...like swim and bike one right after another...and then bike and run consecutively. It'll be great prep for stamina for race day.

2012-06-24 11:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Gatineau, Quebec

Thanks for the advice, I had forgotten about the programs on this site. I looked at them at the beginning, but have a very strange work schedule and never been good at following plans. I decided to go with what felt right, with plenty of rest, following the no more then 10% increase on the run.

I looked up the taper period in the programs and was surprised to see a two weeks taper. Since i am as rookie as can be, will follow advice from the Pros and do the two weeks going down 20% each week.

I already did some Bricks, and it was a good learning experience. The weird feeling I was expecting, but what surprised me was running out of breath. It was on my second Brick that i realized I was running to fast. I guess my legs had moved fast on the bike for 14 miles, and were still going too fast for my capacity and training. I adjusted for the third Brick and it was much better.

I feel ready, but I am stressed because too many family members (I have a big family)  have decided to come and cheer me on. Afraid I might get DQ due to my inexperience, in front of all my family, especially my wife and kids.

Did plenty of competition when i was younger, and it's been a long time since I have felt this nervous. I guess I was expecting to feel younger after loosing the weight and getting in shape, but now I feel like a 10 years old who's gonna race in front of his mommy Smile, and yes, my 69 years old mother will be there Embarassed

2012-06-24 12:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Kansas City

GO HAVE FUN.

Most important three words I've heard on here. I did my first last year, and I was crazy nervous too. It's really not as bad as you think right now. the first OWS was an eye opener for me though plus the first time I'd really swam in my wetsuit. I'm as new as anyone so the first one is still pretty fresh in my mind! I think I've heard here that two weeks out, nothing you do will really help but can definitely hurt you. I like short easy workouts the week of the race, but I'm pretty lazy compared to most of these folks. Just put it on cruise control and run the race. Have a blast!

2012-06-24 6:05 PM
in reply to: #4277503

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
outlandluc - 2012-06-25 6:33 AM

I looked up the taper period in the programs and was surprised to see a two weeks taper. Since i am as rookie as can be, will follow advice from the Pros and do the two weeks going down 20% each week.

IMO, a 2 week taper for a sprint is way too long. I'd suggest a few days rest prior, that should be fine.

But follow what makes you feel comfortable.

2012-06-24 7:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA

Agree that you'll be fine covering the distance.  Is it an OWS?  If so you definitely need some practice with that!

Either way take it easy with the swim.  I find my heart rate goes way high before races, even ones I'm not consciously nervous about.  Like just standing there it's 120-130 bpm.  That's fine when I'm running but for some reason it's much harder to deal with on the swim.  Don't worry about where you're at in your age group on the swim- just relax and enjoy it, you're almost certain not to be last even if you go really slow.

It sounds like you're most nervous about having so much family there which to me is understandable!  But know that it's pretty rare to DQ and most of the rules are pretty intuitive.  As far as finishing last it's pretty unlikely.  If I were you I'd take it fairly easy on the first and last 1/3 of the bike and hammer a little on the middle third.  Then you'll definitely have enough in the tank for your run, which is where your family is most likely to see you.  You'll finish and you'll have a good idea where you can push harder next time.

And most likely your family members will be amazed that you swam and biked and ran all at the same time.  If you're not first and you're not last, most laymen don't have any idea whether your performance was good or bad.

Enjoy!

2012-06-25 5:16 AM
in reply to: #4277968

User image

Extreme Veteran

I agree with the above poster. Try and get an OWS done. I think you can in Lake Meech. Water should be fine, I have been swimming up at Lac Ste-Marie without a wetsuit.

Don't let your nerves get to you on the swim. Go out easy and paced. Doesn't matter what position you come out of the water, you can slowly catch people ahead of you. Slowly build on the bike until you feel strong and maybe back off a little with a few km to go, spin your legs a little.

Slowly build up your run speed based on how you feel. If needed walk the aid station and properly take on something to drink. You won't finish last. You may be last in your AG (and I don't even think that will be) but you will be finishing with plenty of people around you.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Advice needed - Two weeks before first Sprint Rss Feed