United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 21m
Overall Rank = 112/593
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 28/68
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early ate oatmeal. Went over my checklist of items. Every thing was great. Had a great nights sleep and was excited. My wife and I left at 5:50am. When we go to race I was surprised at amount of traffic. Next year I will definitly try to get there earliar.
Event warmup:

Well I did not do anything. I was thinking about a swim, but never did it. I knew if I warmed up it would not help much as I had to sit for 35 minutes for my age group to start. I felt great though.
Swim
  • 18m 54s
  • 1094 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was super excited for this race. My first tri this year and warm up for next weeks 1/2 Ironman. I started ok, but my new goggles leaked. I had to stop 2 times to let water out then I stopped a third time to adjust them. I bet I would have had my time in the 17 minute maybe 16 minute time range if not for the leak. Next week I am going in with my old goggles which work great. I navigated great through entire course. It was a little harder after rouncing last bouy as I was going in to the sun directly. I am glad I had training swims that I experienced this in before.
What would you do differently?:

Bring in my goggles I was training in for more time in. I should have used those new goggles more times before I did a race in them.
Transition 1
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

I felt good. I was displease with Wetsuit removal. I think I could have done it faster. I forgot to sit on my bucket right away, Once I remembered the wetsuit sliped right off my heals.

Remember to sit on my bucket when taking off wetsuit.
Bike
  • 35m 47s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 21.96 mile/hr
Comments:

I got through Transition quick and was eagar to start the bike, and have some of my gatorade endurance in my bottle. Once I mounted bike and got started I reached for my bottle and to my dismay, realized I left it in the car. I had to think real quick at this point to come up with strategy. I mean I had just finished a salt water swim and was parched. It was only 18 minutes but, I was still thirsty. I thought I can do 1 of 2 things. Go slow and try not to get dehydrated or go as fast as I could to get it overwith and to get to water faster. I chose the latter. By mile three I was a little worried but I was holding a great pace. I felt good but was thirsty beyond belief. At that point I decide lets have a gel, at least I can get the salt taste out of my mouth. Thank God that worked. But, for the whole rest of the ride, every person I passed I was thinking of asking for there water or just taking it. LOL. Anyway, water asside, I kicked but, I kept a fast and furious pace and felt good throughout.

Uhhhhhhhh.....Bring my drink on the bike?
Transition 2
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

I should have taken my feet out of shoes earliar. I could have cut 10 seconds definitly here.
Run
  • 23h 36m
  • 3.11 miles
  • 7h 35m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Well the lack of gatorade on the bike caught up to me. I was hoping to get in the 22 minute range but was hot. The first mile was hard. I was happy they had water right at transition where we exit for the run. I drank a whole cup right there. I did not fully get in a running groove until just before the end of the 2nd mile. Then I was able to pick it up to the pace I wish I could have started with. Of course I was not able to get there until after 3 water stops.

nothing. I did the best I could considering the issues with no water on bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out and cheered for friends that were still finishing.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No gatorade on bike.

Event comments:

If I was to complain about anything was the hike to get to post race activities. It was a nice park and all, but it took so long to get there after the race. I would have preferred having hte post race right where the finish was, there seemed plenty of room.

Last updated: 2006-02-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:54 | 1094 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 24/68
Overall: 148/593
Performance: Good
Suit: Yes - Full
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:51
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:35:47 | 13.1 miles | 21.96 mile/hr
Age Group: 23/68
Overall: 90/593
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:30
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
23:36:00 | 03.11 miles | 7h 35m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 36/68
Overall: 166/593
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-06-05 11:02 AM

User image

Expert
Chesapeake, VA
Subject: Breezy Point Triathlon

2006-06-05 1:13 PM
in reply to: #443432

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
Subject: RE: Breezy Point Triathlon
Great race!!!
2006-06-05 10:45 PM

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA
Awesome race - very impressive results, especially the swim!  I think you were one of the people that left a good bit of wake for me.  Good luck at EagleMan next week.  You are going to rock!!!
2006-06-06 6:55 AM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

Awesome race Matt!!  You're going to rock the HIM.  Keep up the great consistant work.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Breezy Point Triathlon Rss Feed