General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cycling Spoken Here group ride - Apex? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-06-24 8:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC
Subject: Cycling Spoken Here group ride - Apex?
Pretty specific question... I have heard that there is a group ride in Apex on Tue evenings. The website gives some details but not the location or anything. Anyone have scoop on it? Location? How big? Friendly to outsiders?

I'm a very experienced group rider but I'm new to the area.

2012-06-24 2:51 PM
in reply to: #4277376

User image

Apex, nc
Subject: RE: Cycling Spoken Here group ride - Apex?
I ride in a group that lifts off from Rudinos on 55/peakway.  Its a group comprised of several that belong to Lifetime health club.  Overall it is a GREAT group!  Several different speeds/experience levels.  A great lady named Karen runs it.  Very open to new riders both experience wise and non-lifetime members.  Not knowing your sex 75%/25% male to female ratio which means if your female you won't be the only one there.  Hope to see you Tuesday.
2012-06-25 1:08 PM

User image

Expert
Apex, NC

smoom - 2012-06-24 9:56 AM Pretty specific question... I have heard that there is a group ride in Apex on Tue evenings. The website gives some details but not the location or anything. Anyone have scoop on it? Location? How big? Friendly to outsiders? I'm a very experienced group rider but I'm new to the area.

This particular ride (or rides) leaves from the Olive Chapel Village shopping center at the corner of Apex Peakway and Hwy. 55.  Cycling Spoken Here used to have a shop there, and the ride came to be back in those days.  Check here for more info:

http://cyclingspokenhere.com/articles/csh-summer-road-rides-pg669.htm

I have not ridden with that group in 4-5 years, but they were friendly back then.  Note; these groups get LARGE, and they have not mastered the art of sharing the road going out Olive Chapel Road.  Yes, they are entitled to the whole lane, but Town of Apex also has restrictions about riding on town streets:

Sec. 20-142. - Riding more than two abreast.

It shall be unlawful for persons operating motorcycles or bicycles on the public streets to travel more than two abreast.

2012-06-25 2:53 PM
in reply to: #4279231

User image

Apex, nc

smoon,

There are actually 2 different groups that ride out of that area.  The Lifetime Fitness group leaves from Rudinos parking lot.  The Cycling Spoken Here group is in the Lowes parking lot.  The CSH group fancies themselves as an "a+" group, generally carries 15-20 people, and as Fgump alludes to they are pretty loosy goosy with the rules.

The Lifetime group has multiple levels and the leader is pretty intolerant of people breaking the rules.  Overall Lifetime is a pretty easy going group. 

BTW-I can't remember if I said it yesterday, but i am not a member of Lifetime, but I do ride with the group as often as possible.

2012-06-25 3:29 PM
in reply to: #4279525

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
frm-fat-2smoon,

There are actually 2 different groups that ride out of that area.  The Lifetime Fitness group leaves from Rudinos parking lot.  The Cycling Spoken Here group is in the Lowes parking lot.  The CSH group fancies themselves as an "a+" group, generally carries 15-20 people, and as Fgump alludes to they are pretty loosy goosy with the rules.

The Lifetime group has multiple levels and the leader is pretty intolerant of people breaking the rules.  Overall Lifetime is a pretty easy going group. 

BTW-I can't remember if I said it yesterday, but i am not a member of Lifetime, but I do ride with the group as often as possible.

Sorry-by "groups" I meant the multiple days the CSH groups ride.  LTF group rides ARE a class act, and I agree with all said about them above.  And I AM a member of LTF, but haven't ridden with that group that leaves from Rudinos (yet).
2012-06-26 8:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC
Awesome! Thanks for all the info. I might try them both out. See you all out there.

2012-07-16 10:47 PM

The LTF group is friendly and a fun group of people.  If you are worried about speed, they have several members that are A+ riders.
2012-07-19 10:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina
I frequent the LTF group ride on Tuesdays and enjoy the ride.  It leaves promptly at 6pm and there are usually multiple speed -skill groups paired up ... 15/16mph - 17/18mph - 19/20 etc.  Need to get there 15 minutes prior to prep and there's usually a short pre-ride safety briefing.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cycling Spoken Here group ride - Apex? Rss Feed