General Discussion Race Reports! » South Beach Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

South Beach Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
South Haven, Michigan
United States
3 Disciplines Racing
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 30m 30s
Overall Rank = 55/188
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 4/20
Pre-race routine:

I got up at 4:00 to have breakfast of cereal, juice and coffee. I then did some light yoga stretching. The race was only 20 minutes from where I was staying, which was nice. I organized my gear and found that while I planned to transfer my tools and spare tire from a behind the seat bag to a small bag on my top tube, I had made a mistake. My tool bag that I had been using for a long time did not have tire levers. This would have been a problem out on the bike. My son and I left for the race a little before 6 and got a decent parking space close to the start. Once there I got set up in transition. I was thinking of using my Garmin for this race, but decided not to.
Event warmup:

Light stretching for the most part. The weather was perfect with no wind and no waves in the lake.I did swim a bit before the start.
Swim
  • 27m
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 39s / 100 yards
Comments:

I felt more tired than I should have for the swim and I'm not sure why. It was disappointing. I thought my sighting was pretty good and I should have had a faster swim.
What would you do differently?:

Two weeks ago I missed an entire week of swimming. I had been feeling pretty good before that and last week I don't feel like I was back up to form.
Transition 1
  • 02m 54s
Comments:

Not too fast. I hate the big chips that make it more difficult to take off my wetsuit. As i put on my wetsuit, I noticed about 4 more small tears that I had missed. After 5.5 seasons it seems like I have more Aquaseal than wetsuit.

Practice transitions the night before.
Bike
  • 1h 09m 29s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.46 mile/hr
Comments:

This was my PR by over 5 minutes. At the start my hamstrings were tight and didn't really loosen up as I would have liked the whole race. I tried to keep an even pace and not burn myself out early and this worked out well. Several people that passed my the first half of the race I passed back on the second half.

Don't crash in November and break my shoulder blade and screw up my training. Don't crash again in March and break my collar bone and crack two ribs. All things considered, I can't complain at all.
Transition 2
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

At the end of the bike my hamstrings were VERY tight, especially the left. It was a struggle to stand up after changing shoes. I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to run at all. Fortunately, things loosened up and I was able to continue.

Stretch my hamstrings during the last mile of the bike to try and loowen up before the run.
Run
  • 49m 51s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to run at all, but I took it easy at first and things loosened up enough to keep going. My left calf injury from the last week in May didn't get bad until about mile 5. At that point it really tightened up and I was afraid I it was going to give out on me. I had to slow way down. Last week I ran about 6 miles total and the 2 weeks before that a total of less than 5. Up to the 5 mile point I was better than 8 minute pace, but slowed down considerably after that.

I need to ease back into running. Before the injury, I think I could have maintained 7:40 pace or better without trouble. I think under the circumstances, I did the best I could.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around to loosen up.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Too many injuries since November and not enough time to recover.

Event comments:

This was a well run race and was very fast. Even with my slow run and average swim, having a PR by over 4 minutes was great. this gives me an incentive for the next race.

Last updated: 2012-02-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:00 | 1640 yards | 01m 39s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/20
Overall: 48/188
Performance: Average
'
Suit: Full
Course: I don't know if the course was long or I was just slow, but my swim was a bit slower than usual. I was disappointed. The swim was an easy course in Lake Michigan. It was not crowded in our wave.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:54
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:09:29 | 24.85 miles | 21.46 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/20
Overall: 51/188
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: This was an easy out and back course. Out of transition there was a short steep hill that was the only real hill on the course. I think there was a very slight headwind on the way out and a slight tailwind coming back. In the first mile, I hit a bump in the road and lost my Gatorade and was left with about 16 oz of water. I'm glad it was cool or I would have been in trouble. This was a PR by more than a mile/hour for me. The only complaint I have is they had a sprint race that started well after the Oly and on the way back in there was a major traffic jam at the sprint turn around. I had to pass people continually or I would have been subject to a penalty as it was way too crowded for 3 bike lengths. At one point I was close to a penalty as I was approaching two people at a closing speed of about 3-5 mph and the person directly in front of me was just getting ready to pass the person in front of them. I managed to get past before there were 3 abreast. Most of road was good, but a relatively short section had been patched the day before and was a mess.
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:19
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:49:51 | 06.21 miles | 08m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/20
Overall: 72/188
Performance: Below average
Course: Flat essentially out and back course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-06-24 1:38 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
Subject: South Beach Triathlon - Olympic Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » South Beach Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed