General Discussion Race Reports! » Phily Tri - Philadelphia Insurance Triathlon - Olympic Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Phily Tri - Philadelphia Insurance Triathlon - Olympic - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
United States
Phily Tri
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 44m 58s
Overall Rank = 538/1542
Age Group = M50-54
Age Group Rank = 23/91
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4am, made some coffee and a bagel with PB&J. Checked Rivercast and saw the water was 79 degrees, so starting obsessing about my first non-wetsuit race. Grabbed my backpack and biked to the start. One of the nice things about Philly Tri was that transition is 3 miles from my house.
Event warmup:

The bike ride from home to transition. We were not allowed into the water to warm up.
Swim
  • 39m 30s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my first OWS without a wetsuit. I was pretty stressed about this until I got into the water, then once we started swimming it was a non-issue. I'm a new swimmer so everything is a learning experience. I enjoyed swimming in the Schuylkill.
What would you do differently?:

I went way wide after the bridge. We were supposed to swim between two yellow buoys and line up for the exit. Somehow I missed the other yellow buoy that we were supposed to stay within and went around the far one, so past the exit and had to loop back. I've been doing OWS practice every weekend so this was disappointing, but overall even though my time was terrible I actually felt good during the swim.
Transition 1
  • 02m 45s
Comments:

Very good transition. It was a long run with the bike! Happy about this because it was a problem earlier this year and it looks like I've got it sorted.

Nothing
Bike
  • 1h 11m 15s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.93 mile/hr
Comments:

Pretty happy with the bike. I was definitely hampered by being so long in the water and by that time the bike course was packed. I can climb and the hills were a logjam. I did hammer on the flats and my frustration led to expending a bit too energy much trying to make up time.

Chill out, I was at 120% FTP on the flats hammering away. OTOH I was enjoying biking at 26-27mph, and it's all about having fun. Also carbon brakes suck on downhills, so plan ahead. Hello, grass :)
Transition 2
  • 02m 35s
Comments:

Little bit of sock trouble but nothing major, everything went fine. Wow is that a long run out of transition.

Nothing.
Run
  • 48m 48s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

Best feeling in the world was dumping the water on my head at the first station. I started slow and it took a long time to pick up speed. It took almost 3 miles to get into my normal pace. Felt excellent the last couple of miles, though.

I knew I'd worked hard on the bike, but this was a lesson I'll take forward into my HIM training. Pacing will be really important. Practice running off the bike more.
Post race
Warm down:

I biked home. Showered, ate pizza,and drank a couple of beers before taking a nap.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swimming, specifically sighting and following a course. And pacing the bike a little better.

I also did not drink very much. I tried but with a technical course there were not many opportunities to drink. Something to think about for the future.

Event comments:

This is one very organized event. It's hard to put on a big-city triathlon and they do a very good job. Also I got to talk to Any Potts as he was getting ready to leave and he stood next to me and cheered on some of the last wave people coming into T2. Really nice guy and classy thing to do.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-05-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:30 | 1640 yards | 02m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/91
Overall: 1450/1542
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Downstream, although there was very little current. A J-turn into the exit.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:45
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:11:15 | 24.85 miles | 20.93 mile/hr
Age Group: 12/91
Overall: 266/1542
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Two loops. Some good hills and the course is quite technical in several spots. Very crowded and lots of people who don't know how to stay to the right. Amazing there weren't more blocking and drafting penalties, at times there was simply nowhere to go.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 87
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:35
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:48:48 | 06.21 miles | 07m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/91
Overall: 356/1542
Performance: Average
Course: Flat, two turnarounds. Not too much shade.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-06-24 3:37 PM

User image

Pro
Subject: Phily Tri - Philadelphia Insurance Triathlon - Olympic

2012-06-25 9:50 AM
in reply to: #4277722

User image

Subject: RE: Phily Tri - Philadelphia Insurance Triathlon - Olympic
Nice job Brian!  Great race!
2012-06-25 10:20 AM

User image

Master
Nice job.

I can relate on "dumping water on my head." This is always my strategy on hot race days.
2012-06-25 10:41 AM
in reply to: #4278704

User image

Pro

vbellino - 2012-06-25 10:50 AM Nice job Brian!  Great race!

Thanks Vince, and thanks a lot for the pics. Getting my money's worth out of that P2

2012-06-25 6:42 PM

User image

Bronze member
Had to come and check how you did without your wetsuit. Sounds like it was a  non issue. Glad everything worked out. Congratulations on a great race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Phily Tri - Philadelphia Insurance Triathlon - Olympic Rss Feed