General Discussion Race Reports! » Markey Race for Women's Cancer Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Markey Race for Women's Cancer Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lexington, Kentucky
United States
Headfirst Performance
92F / 33C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 11m 33s
Overall Rank = 2/86
Age Group = 34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Actually got organized the night before. Loaded bikes, and packed tri bag. Woke up as late as possible, had a bagel, a sports drink and went to the bathroom the usual 10 times.
Event warmup:

I use the swim as a warmup, so just tried to relax and stay cool.
Swim
  • 08m 46s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 11s / 100 meters
Comments:

I am not a fast swimmer. But I was happy to survive the swim in moderate comfort rather than my usual panic mode. Everything went smooth for the most part. Although one guy flew by me and then resorted to doing a chaotic breast stroke. Fortunately, he did let me pass him.
What would you do differently?:

I need to do more intervals to work on speed, but right now my main goal is to relax. At my level, I can't think of anything I would have done differently today.
Transition 1
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

First time pre-clipping my shoes into pedals. Because it was my first time in a race, I was pretty conservative and went a little slow. Still, had the second fastest transition of the women so I can't complain.

One of the velcroes on my shoe had come out of the buckle. I need to check my shoes next time. Also, I didn't practice putting on my new tri helmet enough, so I fumbled with the straps.
Bike
  • 36m 42s
  • 13 miles
  • 21.25 mile/hr
Comments:

Happy to have had the fastest bike of the women. But, not entirely satisfied with this ride. I was a little awkward getting my feet in my shoes and it cost me some time early. Also, my legs became heavy-feeling very early and I suspect I know why. I did my first track workout since November three days before the race and pushed it too hard. That was the day after a biking hill challenge. My legs were not fresh enough!

Taper a little bit. My training this week was not conducive to a strong performance!
Transition 2
  • 00m 42s
Comments:

Speedy enough transition. Could use a little improvement getting my run shoes on faster.
Run
  • 24m
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

Not my best run. It is disconcerting how much speed I have lost since my injury in November. Running on grass is not my best forte, either. Just never felt right on this run, but the injury seems to have been beaten finally so at least I can start running again.

Not have gotten injured in the first place. This is frustrating after the 21's I was running in duathlons last fall. Just missed the win by less than two minutes and I think I could have been competitive had my run been up to par.
Post race
Warm down:

Post-race massage!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not training for the run. Just learning the clipped-in shoes transition this week. Training too hard in the days right before the race. Swim skills.

Event comments:

Organization does not get better than this. Race director Beth Atnip is incredible. Highly, highly recommended race. Great for first timers as well.

Last updated: 2012-06-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:46 | 400 meters | 02m 11s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 35/86
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri shorts and sports bra
Course: 400 METER pool. Started people every 20 seconds but it still ended up pretty crowded. Much better than last year, when they started people every 10 I believe.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:21
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:36:42 | 13 miles | 21.25 mile/hr
Overall: 1/86
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: They say it's flat but I noticed enough rollers to get to my quads. Smooth roads.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:42
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:24:00 | 03.1 miles | 07m 44s  min/mile
Overall: 3/86
Performance: Below average
Course: Flat with one mile on slightly uneven grass. May have been a long course- Hubby and I both got 3.20 on our Garmins
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-06-24 6:09 PM

User image

New user
KY
Subject: Markey Race for Women's Cancer Triathlon

2012-06-25 6:09 AM
in reply to: #4277848

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Subject: RE: Markey Race for Women's Cancer Triathlon
I know you thought there were areas for improvement, but this is one awesome race, Erin!!  So did you get an award for 2 OA, or 1st AG?  So happy to hear the run is back ON!!  Sounds like you have healed.  Trim some time there, work on some intervals in the pool, that 1st OA is within reach!!!
2012-06-25 12:48 PM
in reply to: #4278315

User image

Veteran
Austin
Subject: RE: Markey Race for Women's Cancer Triathlon
Congrats Erin!  You are such an inspiration.  You just go out there and go for it every time and then train your a$$ off between races.  Awesome job!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Markey Race for Women's Cancer Triathlon Rss Feed