Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2012-06-25 2:23 PM
in reply to: #4277851

User image

Olney
Subject: RE: Aggressive Swimmers

Good story.

One time back in 1996 or so I was doing a race with an ocean swim that by todays standards, would be canceled.  It was more body surfing then swimming.....I came down the back side of a wave and landed right on top of some guy.  I actually stopped to say sorry and it turned out to be a pretty good friend/business associate.  We still laugh about it today.

2012-06-25 2:32 PM

User image

Veteran

MOP swimmer here and it just happens. I think that the more experiences with this type of swimming you have the less it bothers you. Go with the flow. The last sprint I was competing in some poor guy ended up with his head under my arm. I did not see him. On the stroke I just about pushed his face into the sand. Intentional? not at all Was he happy? not very 

It just happens. However if I feel somebody is trying to intimidate me in the water. My elbows are pretty sharp

2012-06-25 3:04 PM
in reply to: #4279347

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont

Left Brain - 2012-06-25 2:51 PM Marvarnett made a good point.  My kid has been swimming since he was 4....he swims 1:05 - 1:10 hundreds all day.  He LOVES the contact of the open water swim.  He doesn't have a mean bone in his body....he is just completely comfortable and unafraid in the water.  He will say things like, "it was crazy at that first bouy, I couldn't even get a stroke in for about 20 meters, just keep grabbbing and moving, some guy had my ankle (big laugh from him), it was great!!!".  Huh???  That'd have me in peril of drowning so I avoid it like the flu.  Most of us can't swim worth a damn compared to swimmers....and they're just swimming.

Even though I'm a relatively new swimmer, the contact is the least concerning to me as I prepare for my first tri on Saturday. I grew up on Lake Michigan and lakes at any campground we'd find ourselves at ... with three brothers. Games of chicken and regular dunkings were par for the course. 

2012-06-25 4:33 PM

User image

Chicago

I'll admit to being an occasional ankle or foot grabber.  I don't grab and tug out of malice or anything - it's defense meant to try to protect my own face.  There are times, usually at the beginning of a race, when there's just nowhere to go, and if someone's heel is right there threatening to knock my goggles off or break my nose, I'll sort of grab it and try to push it aside.  And since most people subscribe to the "swim like ghandi" philosophy presented in this thread, they'll in turn help me out by trying to get away from that contact.

I don't know...as I read that I realize I kind of sound like an a-hole that is actually the one causing problems, but really I'm just trying to protect myself when I do this.

When passing people I've always put the onus 100% on myself to find a way around them, not on them to get out of my way.

2012-06-25 5:05 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

I'm gonna reply to this thread because I did see some aggressive swimming happen at my HIM this weekend.  The waves were pretty close together and the fasties from the wave behind me caught up at some point.

What ticked me off was that they were being so "aggressive" and not wanting to stop their stroke for anything.

As a fastie, if I come up on a slow person from the wave ahead of me, I find a way around.  If I swim up on them so fast I fail to see them, at first contact I immediately sight up and find a way around.

ANYTIME you make contact with another swimmer you should take a second to assess the situation...make sure you're going the right direction (contact could have happened if you were drifting off the right navigation), and if it's a slower swimmer in front of you pick another path.  

I get irked when people just put their heads down as if they are the only person in the water.  I can see them thinking...if I just keep plowing through that other person will move once I hit them a few times."  WRONG ANSWER!  I see it like skiing.  The uphill skier (faster swimmer) is responsible for deconflicting with the downhill skier (slower swimmer) because the downhill skier doesn't see the uphill skier coming.

I don't think there is a way to avoid aggressive swimmers as the slow swimmer.  Rather, we need to work on getting the message out to the aggressive swimmers to take the second to find their way around the slower swimmer.  I know I was mad this weekend at people who thought they were too good to pause their swimming for a second to deconflict.  Like f'ing bulls in a china shop...they don't care what's in their way, they are gonna plow right through it....

2012-06-25 5:06 PM
in reply to: #4279221

User image

New user
Athens, GA

MUL98 - 2012-06-25 2:04 PM  We were wondering if it might not make more sense to ask racers to submit estimated times for each leg and seed waves based on those estimates. Fastest go first ect.. I think most marathons are started this way with "pens." Wouldn't be perfect, but might solve a bit of the problem discussed in this thread.

Both of the triathlons I've done were set up this way. One was a sprint with a pool swim, two swimmers started every 10 (I think) seconds, grouped by broad categories (collegiate, age group/Ath/Clyde, novice) and within category by estimated swim time. The second was an OWS Oly with a time trial start, 2 swimmers every five seconds, more or less by race number which was based on estimated swim time.

Edited by paxsarah 2012-06-25 5:07 PM

2012-06-25 5:31 PM
in reply to: #4279157

User image

Expert
Plano, National Capital Region
lisac957 - 2012-06-25 12:42 PM
erik.norgaard - 2012-06-25 3:10 AM

Better yet, avoid the problem entirely: The trick is to learn to place yourself in the pack, if you know you're a slow swimmer, no point rushing to be the first in the water. Also, you can place yourself away from the centre out to the side, it's only slightly longer to the first buoy and much easier swim.

This is a great idea in theory but most races, save for an Ironman start, go in waves. And in the ones I do, they put the fastest athletes (Males 20-40) in the last waves. So no matter how well I seed myself in my own wave, there will be 3, 4, 5  or more waves coming up behind me consisting of very fast male swimmers. I think this is the crux of what people are describing when they talk about "aggressive" swimmers.

I've gotten pretty good at anticipating when they will be approaching me, based on the number of minutes between waves. So I can try to move more to the outside. Plus I can literally hear them coming - they seem to have very loud punch-the-water-like strokes.

I've found that the female waves swimming past me are generally more aggressive than the guys (coming from a below average, slow swimmer who gets passed by at least 2 waves at Olys or longer).

2012-06-25 5:44 PM
in reply to: #4278964

User image

Pro
AdventureBear - 2012-06-25 12:13 PM
Bunsbert Montcroff - 2012-06-25 10:02 AM

Left Brain - 2012-06-25 9:40 AM It's a triathlon swim....there will be contact....if it bothers you (not singling out anyone in particular) then you should work to get over it or find another sport.  The contact is not going away.

this, or start further back or to the side. this kind of advice is infinitely wiser and more useful than "kick like a mule if someone makes incidental contact with your toes" - that's what i'd expect to hear from an inexperienced, insecure beginning swimmer. not a "coach".

A couple of years ago there was a swimmer I believe at FLA St. Anthony's Oly, who was a very good swimmer according to family. She died and the suspected mechanism was being kicked in the head. I would not want to be responsible for this. When someone is on my toes i actually kick less. It doesn't affect my swim much and I know I won't hurt them. I'm secure enough in my own pace and swimming ability to know that 5-10 seconds of easier kicking will have no material impact on my final outcome...as is the case for 98% of age group swimmers/triathletes. If someone was deliberately putting a hand on my shoulder and pushing me away, I think I'd find it pretty funny and keep up my pestering knowing that they have the skill to play games in the water as well. I teach my swimmers to share the space, swim like spirits, slipping in and out of hte open spaces in front of them, parting two busy kickers in front with a wider sweeping entry, using a wide recovery with fingertip drag to create space...all of this in a non-aggressive manner that keeps them inside their own body, heart rates and anxiety undercontrol and poses no risk of injury or agitation to any other swimmers. Swim like a buddist.

This is one of those incredibly useful posts that you find on BT and should be bookmarked for all new triathletes (ok, ALL triathletes). Sportsmanship counts for a lot. Thanks.

2012-06-25 7:32 PM

User image

Pro

I only break out the defensive swimming when I'm grabbed.

Hitting, punching, kicking, karate chopping, getting run over... that's all part of the (almost always) unintentional scrum of the mass-swim start.

In my first 70.3, I got hit HARD in the face by an older gentleman that I was trying to pass who started a wave or two ahead of me. I took it in stride, and checked to make sure I wasn't bleeding. I re-set my line to avoid him, and continued on without anger or panic.

If you encounter someone who is grabbing you and trying to use your body to their advantage in a swim, you need to have your own plan - even if it is to stop, let them move away, and continue swimming.

If I get GRABBED, that's when I'll push someone off of me, or push off of them. Not in a violent smack-down way, but in a plant-my-hand-on-them-and-extend-my-arm way. I do it to instantly create some distance between us that hopefully stays that way. As an FOP swimmer, I'm not willing to let someone grab my ankles, arms or shoulders to get an advantage over me. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aggressive Swimmers Rss Feed  

of 3