Sidney, British Columbia
Canada
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 41m 10s
Overall Rank = 51/252
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 4/8
Pre-race routine:

Got up at around 5:15, and went to the fridge for my race morning red bull. I had packed everything up the night before so all I had to do was make my bottles and get my food together. I made me and Kristi some recovery drinks for the race but we ended up forgeting them... Actually I forgot to bring all of my food to the race. I was going to bring quite a bit becuase we had to get there close to the beginning to set up in transition (6:45) but I was in the 8th heat which didn't start in the pool till 9:45... Nothing like a 3 hour wait to start :) Basically I just watched the heats before me and drank about 2L of sports drink to get some more calories in my system. I also was able to cheer on Kristi becuase she started about an hour and a half before I did.
Event warmup:

Got in the pool and did about a 150m - 200m warmup. My arms were hurting a little bit due to a fitness test I had with my tri coach a few days ealier (in which I had to do pushups till exaustion). It didn't seem to affect me all that much though in the actual race.
Swim
  • 08m 23s
  • 500 meters
  • 01m 41s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was in the 1st position in my lane so I had to lead everyone off. I was a little worried about this because I really haven't swam much in the past few weeks and I put down an estimated swim time that was a little fast (8:20) expecting that I would be able to draft. I pretty much held a good pace and ended up lapping the some of the other people in my lane at around the 350m mark. I felt strong the entire swim though and over the last 100m or so I slowed down the pace to tried to get my HR to settle down a bit for the run. I startd to think about transition and where my bike was and what I needed to do.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really. I was really impressed by how well I did in the water. I didn't expect to crack 8:30 without being about to draft off a faster swimmer.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Ran into T1 and it was still raining pretty good. I thought I might try to put on a long sleave shirt and tried for about 10 sec but it was really soaked and gave up on it (am I'm glad because even in the cold rain I got rather hot). The rest of transition went well and I was happy to get on the bike.

Not try to put a shirt on. If the temp is over 15C regardless of weather I'm just going with a tri suit.
Bike
  • 57m 27s
  • 30 kms
  • 31.33 km/hr
Comments:

The bike went really well for me. I was able to hammer and there were some awesome long gradual down hills that I was holding a +50kph pace on for a while which felt amazing. The bike was 2 loops and I've biked the course so I had a pretty good handle on where I was and how much I had left to go.

It was really wet though and I saw a racer go down hard in front of me. She took a corner a little to fast and went down. It didn't look good. She later passed me on the run bleeding from both hips and elbows. How hardcore is that. You could just see other people looking at her thinking OMG how is she running that fast with blood everywhere.

Nothing really. I wouldn't wear sunglasses. I jsut had to take them off because they fogged up and wasted time trying to shove them back into my bento box.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

T2 went really smooth. I really feel like it was less then 15 sec. The only problem that I had was I tried getting out of my shoes before my biked stopped a like to late and only got out of one.

Get out of shoes earlier
Run
  • 35m 20s
  • 8 kms
  • 04m 25s  min/km
Comments:

The run went really well. I held a pace that was quicker then what I ran a stand alone 10k about a month ago. So I was very happy about that. I didn't feel at that well for the first few k but after about 3 I really fell into my stride and pushed it. I passed quite a few people but also got passed but a bunch of really speedy runners.

I think that I could have pushed the pace a bit more over the last 2k but I all in all I think I ran a well paced run.
Post race
Warm down:

walked around a bit and ate some bagels that they had out. Drank a ton of water. I also streached a little bit later that night

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training. I really slacked off these past few weeks and although well rested felt pretty rusty

Last updated: 2006-02-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:23 | 500 meters | 01m 41s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/8
Overall: 70/252
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Pool
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:57:27 | 30 kms | 31.33 km/hr
Age Group: 3/8
Overall: 43/252
Performance:
Wind:
Course: 2 Loops
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:35:20 | 08 kms | 04m 25s  min/km
Age Group: 6/8
Overall: 81/252
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-06-05 11:45 AM

User image

Master
Seattle, California
Subject: Panorma Classic Triathlon

2006-06-05 1:36 PM
in reply to: #443514

User image

Master
Chilliwack, BC
Subject: RE: Panorma Classic Triathlon
Hey, thats a great race.
Next year, I think I will tackle that one.
Nice run, wow, they must have fast people in there. That time is smoking and you were 6/8. Too many triathletes in Victoria me thinks.

Great race James.

And you got tri coach now?
2006-06-05 1:54 PM
in reply to: #443722

User image

Master
Seattle, California

Crazypop - 2006-06-05 11:36 AM Hey, thats a great race. Next year, I think I will tackle that one. Nice run, wow, they must have fast people in there. That time is smoking and you were 6/8. Too many triathletes in Victoria me thinks. Great race James. And you got tri coach now?

Ya Victoria is a tough place to compete. There is so much depth to the competition. 2 guys in my age group ran the 8k in around 27 min! The others that beat me came in around 2 - 1 min ahead of my time.

Me and Kristi got a coach Today is our first day on her schedule. We figured that since we are doing Ironman next year it would be a good idea to have someone help us get there and make sure we get across that finish line. I'm pretty pumped. She has us doing quite a bit to get our speed up for some races late in the season. We'll see how it goes

2006-06-05 3:27 PM

User image

Expert
Denver
That's an awesome job on that race, I was going to do it but just could not commit for that weekend. Are you doing the half-iron in 2 weeks? I will be in that, it should be fun. Anyway, awesome job, keep up the good work.

Cheers,
Mike
2006-06-05 3:33 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
nice race. i've had a rough month w/ training, so i hear you on the 'rusty' thing
2006-06-05 4:07 PM

User image

Great race, James. You completely smoked your swim, bike AND run! You must be very happy

You've got lofty goals ahead, and with a race like this under your belt, I'm sure the decision to do IMC next year is even more solidified. Good on ya!

2006-06-06 1:24 PM

User image

Vancouver,BC

Nice work James!

I vollied for this race last year, and it was raining then too! Lots of slideouts on the Mt Newton turn onto W.Saanich. The lap counters were also a bone of contention with some folks - luckily you didn't get a dyslexic one!

Keep it up, you'll be smoking an IM cigar soon!

2006-06-06 2:25 PM

Pro
Nice race. It's a similar distance to the one I'll be doing on the 17th, except the swim is 1km. You're time is great, I'll be happy if I come in within 50 minutes of your time.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Panorma Classic Triathlon Rss Feed