General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2012-10-22 5:37 AM
in reply to: #4462712

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon : Official Thread
jillian_o - 2012-10-21 9:11 PMI had a bad day, I fell apart in the run. Had a lot going against me, Augusta 70.3 three week ago, husband just deployed 3 weeks ago, stressful week with finals at school, just getting over an upper respiratory illness, swallow a lot of water in the swim and from that was really dehydrated in the run. It was a fight to finish, but I finished and it wasn't pretty. Congrats to all finishers! 

You forgot to mention that you narrowly avoided a crash on the bike. Just after you said hi and passed me, I saw how that girl in front of me (cute blonde with long hair) weaved left and almost clipped you as you passed. Sounds like that was the least of your worries though. Glad you got it done, thanks for the bike course encouragement.

2012-10-22 5:48 AM
in reply to: #4462780

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
louiskie - 2012-10-21 9:54 PMNot my best race- missed the turn on the bike so had to backtrack and ended out riding 59.5 miles. Things had been going well luntil then, so that cost me about 10 mins and a bout 13 places in my AG! Also had a rough run with a very painful knee and general tiredness. Did have some good company though with qrkid who waited 15 mins in t2 for me wondering what the heck was taking me so long on the bike (I was ahead of him on the swim and he never "passed" me on the bike because I was doing my little extra stretch of the bike course before turning around, so when he saw my t2 bag hanging there he was a little confused since he was now ahead of me). Met dOOd and japarker, which was cool. Got to hang out with dOOd and his awesome family on the beach after the race. Both of our wives were very amused that we had only ever met online before.

I got to hear about your bike mishap from Daryn at our small BT gathering. Now that is a real friend right there. As for being amused at only meeting online before, my family has seen the fruits of BT with Fred's gift of the bike, and last night Daryn made sure I left NC with a finisher's medal, not sure how long it would be until mine was mailed to me, so I have a "loaner" for my first HIM.

With everyone leaving town, a Sunday night gathering was probably not ideal, but Paula and Daryn were well fed by our crew here. I got to meet BT folks at the expo, swim start, bike course, run course, finish line, bike pickup, and brunch. I stick out like a sore thumb with my size and of course, doughboy on board gear, so I'm glad everyone said hi.

2012-10-22 8:36 AM
in reply to: #4462576

User image

japarker24 - 2012-10-21 6:42 PM

Hope everyone had a good day!!!  Congrats to Ronnie Hicks (d00d) who won his Age Group!!!

I had a great day!  The swim was pretty uneventful outside of having my 310xt knocked off my wrist about 1 minute into the swim.  Obviously the rest of the day was blind for data and I did the entire event on perceived effort.  The major upside of that was it forced me to be a bit more social on the bike as I kept asking other guys in my AG what our speed was since I had no clue!  Even though I didn't realize it until I read this post, one of them was d00d!  

We ended up riding within striking distance of each other for the last 40 miles of the bike course.  I too was a bit confused by the turn for the half, but I followed guys I knew were half competitors and made it through okay, otherwise I might have missed it.

d00d SMOKED me on the run, but I gave it all I had trying to reel him back in.  That funky turn wasn't much of an issue since I thought the race director did a good job explaining it in the pre-race meeting.  All and all a spectacular event.

Here's a shot of d00d and I accepting our AG awards... I think I'm saying: "One stinking minute!"

(DSC_0123.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
DSC_0123.jpg (67KB - 26 downloads)
2012-10-22 6:07 PM
in reply to: #4463122

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Ubear97 - 2012-10-22 9:36 AM

Hope everyone had a good day!!!  Congrats to Ronnie Hicks (d00d) who won his Age Group!!!

I had a great day!  The swim was pretty uneventful outside of having my 310xt knocked off my wrist about 1 minute into the swim.  Obviously the rest of the day was blind for data and I did the entire event on perceived effort.  The major upside of that was it forced me to be a bit more social on the bike as I kept asking other guys in my AG what our speed was since I had no clue!  Even though I didn't realize it until I read this post, one of them was d00d!  

We ended up riding within striking distance of each other for the last 40 miles of the bike course.  I too was a bit confused by the turn for the half, but I followed guys I knew were half competitors and made it through okay, otherwise I might have missed it.

d00d SMOKED me on the run, but I gave it all I had trying to reel him back in.  That funky turn wasn't much of an issue since I thought the race director did a good job explaining it in the pre-race meeting.  All and all a spectacular event.

Here's a shot of d00d and I accepting our AG awards... I think I'm saying: "One stinking minute!"

What an awesome day! I got to meet a ton of new BTers, saw old friends, made new ones, and had a wonderful time.

Jason and I become good buddies on the bike...He told me about how Banks Channel was a graveyard for his Garmin, and I told him my nose hurt b/c somebody punched me on the swim! Then, he got all competitive and dropped me in the final miles.

Then, we had two seconds to bond while I passed him back on the run. Smoked? Ha! I just had to make up the beat down you put down on the swim!

Afterwards, I was shocked to see that I was the top 35-39AG finisher! First AG win in any tri! I was glad to see Jason get second! One minute!

Had a blast hanging out with Louiskie, Qrkid, and saw japarker and other BTers out there racing hard! 

Great race and I'm a big fan. Deciding whether or not to do the full next year.

Ready, Alan?

2012-10-22 6:33 PM
in reply to: #4464286

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
d00d - 2012-10-22 7:07 PM
Ubear97 - 2012-10-22 9:36 AM

What an awesome day! I got to meet a ton of new BTers, saw old friends, made new ones, and had a wonderful time.

Jason and I become good buddies on the bike...He told me about how Banks Channel was a graveyard for his Garmin, and I told him my nose hurt b/c somebody punched me on the swim! Then, he got all competitive and dropped me in the final miles.

Then, we had two seconds to bond while I passed him back on the run. Smoked? Ha! I just had to make up the beat down you put down on the swim!

Afterwards, I was shocked to see that I was the top 35-39AG finisher! First AG win in any tri! I was glad to see Jason get second! One minute!

Had a blast hanging out with Louiskie, Qrkid, and saw japarker and other BTers out there racing hard! 

Great race and I'm a big fan. Deciding whether or not to do the full next year.

Ready, Alan?

Do it...you know you wanna! :-)

2012-10-22 6:50 PM
in reply to: #4462576

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC

Anyone else notice all the Suck it up, HTFU Alan Parker signs on that run course. i liked the pick it up this is not IM Louisville one.

2012-10-22 7:04 PM
in reply to: #4464353

User image

Elite
N Carolina
qrkid - 2012-10-22 7:50 PM

Anyone else notice all the Suck it up, HTFU Alan Parker signs on that run course. i liked the pick it up this is not IM Louisville one.

Thanks to Stacey ( sci ) and Mandy "Iron" Midgett for those signs...........hope they made everyone's day!!

d00d:  I was thinking IM Florida next year, but just may stay closer to home, save some dough, and race B2B Full with you!!!!!

2012-10-22 8:08 PM
in reply to: #4279107

User image

Elite

I noticed them, too! Alan had some nice support out there!

One of the funny signs, which was in a different section of the run, said "Nice Stamina, Call Me". I've seen that one before, but that one made me LOL this time, too.

I did hate seeing the Full mile markers on the run. They were always ahead of the Half. When I hit Full marker 8, i still had to run another while before I hit the Half marker 8. It was like a double whammy! Almost like a clock ticking backwards!

2012-10-22 8:33 PM
in reply to: #4464475

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
d00d - 2012-10-22 9:08 PM

I did hate seeing the Full mile markers on the run. They were always ahead of the Half. When I hit Full marker 8, i still had to run another while before I hit the Half marker 8. It was like a double whammy! Almost like a clock ticking backwards!

I forgot all about the double run of the triangle, and when I saw the half mile 9, I was temporarily very distressed, since I knew I was nowhere close to 9 miles, and had no idea how I would have missed such a huge part of the course. Glad I got it sorted out before I back tracked.

2012-10-23 8:07 AM
in reply to: #4464504

User image

The best shirt of the day on a lady spectator: "I don't do triathlons, I do a triathlete" :-)
2012-10-23 7:03 PM

User image

Elite

Ah, bunk...OK, here goes.

Oh, and funny story to accompany this pic:

After the race, I told me wife I thought I had won my AG. She looked at me with a concerned face and said, "Um, sweetie, maybe you need to go check again." Ha!! 

Edited by d00d 2012-10-23 7:31 PM

2012-10-24 6:03 AM

What was up with everyone on the swim. The RD got on the mic when the 30-34 male wave was about to start and said the current was strong and that we didn't have to go around the orange bouy. I took off and aimed for the yacht moored to the left and cut really close to the land on the other side of the sound when rounding the corner towards the exit. I was about 200 yds to the left of the orange bouy and everyone else. Only one other guy followed me. I actually stopped and talked to a kayaker and said that we were allowed to do this now and she said "yep you are right" so I continued. Everyone else was still going around the bouy or close to it. Once I made the left towards the dock I noticed the bouys were zigzagging back and forth (centered in channel). I just made a straight line towards the big white building and about 80 percent of the swimmers were going around these bouys or very close to them and not swimming a straight line towards the exit. I am not a good swimmer and got 26:00 taking my time at a warm up pace. My lady friend said she did the same thing as me and got 22:00 something and was 2nd overall men/female for the swim.  A male beat her by 23 seconds.
2012-10-24 7:46 AM

User image

SE North Carolina
Are you talking about the orange buoey in the center of the channel at the first turn, during the race meetings everyone was told they had to go around the orange bouy and have it on your left shoulder. Other than that you could swim anywhere on the course...
2012-10-24 8:10 AM
in reply to: #4466586

User image

Extreme Veteran

slaterson19 - 2012-10-24 7:03 AM What was up with everyone on the swim. The RD got on the mic when the 30-34 male wave was about to start and said the current was strong and that we didn't have to go around the orange bouy. I took off and aimed for the yacht moored to the left and cut really close to the land on the other side of the sound when rounding the corner towards the exit. I was about 200 yds to the left of the orange bouy and everyone else. Only one other guy followed me. I actually stopped and talked to a kayaker and said that we were allowed to do this now and she said "yep you are right" so I continued. Everyone else was still going around the bouy or close to it. Once I made the left towards the dock I noticed the bouys were zigzagging back and forth (centered in channel). I just made a straight line towards the big white building and about 80 percent of the swimmers were going around these bouys or very close to them and not swimming a straight line towards the exit. I am not a good swimmer and got 26:00 taking my time at a warm up pace. My lady friend said she did the same thing as me and got 22:00 something and was 2nd overall men/female for the swim.  A male beat her by 23 seconds.

I never heard him say that (not doubting that he did, just that the only people who would have heard it were those lined up at that time- I was in a portajohn so not paying attention to the RD at that point), but I did hear him say VERY clearly at the pre-race meeting that you HAD to go around that big orange bouy (only the one at the turn- not the others). If you didn't you could just cut the corner and would have saved, maybe, 1/3 of the distance. If he changed the rules on race morning that is pretty unclear and he should have done a better job with making sure people knew he had changed his mind. Maybe I misunderstand though.

2012-10-24 8:14 AM

He announced it at the swim start during the 30-34 AG swim wave. The waves before us had to go around the orange bouy. Supposively people were getting sucked out and having a hard time making the left turn after the bouy because of the current so they changed it about 15 mins into the race and announced that we didn't have to go around the orange bouy.
2012-10-24 8:47 AM
in reply to: #4466697

User image

Extreme Veteran

slaterson19 - 2012-10-24 9:14 AM He announced it at the swim start during the 30-34 AG swim wave. The waves before us had to go around the orange bouy. Supposively people were getting sucked out and having a hard time making the left turn after the bouy because of the current so they changed it about 15 mins into the race and announced that we didn't have to go around the orange bouy.

Hmm, OK. So because the first 200 people had a hard time you change the rules for the rest of the race? Seems pretty odd to me. The current wasn't THAT strong- not stronger than last year so I don't get it. But OK. Glad it worked out for you- thats a pleasant start to the day! :-)

2012-10-24 9:34 AM
in reply to: #4466697

Veteran

slaterson19 - 2012-10-24 9:14 AM He announced it at the swim start during the 30-34 AG swim wave. The waves before us had to go around the orange bouy. Supposively people were getting sucked out and having a hard time making the left turn after the bouy because of the current so they changed it about 15 mins into the race and announced that we didn't have to go around the orange bouy.

He did mis-speak.  When I heard him, I thought that what he said made no sense and totally opposite of what we were told in the meeting, so I kept it to my left, per the meeting and the maps on the website.   Fortunately, most people were so excited to hear that the current was running at 3 knots, they didn't pay attention to anything else he said!!

2012-10-24 2:11 PM

User image

New user

North Carolina

First 70.3 race! The swim and the bike were great -- managed to be the second overall swimmer and got beat by only one guy (of course, now I know I could have gone 23 seconds faster - man!). I was thinking on the bike "wow, this is fun - I could keep doing these races." Then the run. Not so great. Should've taken in more nutrition, but it was a good learning experience (minus feeling like I was going to die the last three miles). What did others do nutrition wise on the run? At the finish line, I told my friends to "remind me of how horrible I feel now" because I knew I would be in a different mindset a little while after. And now, I'm already thinking about the next race. Debating trying a full or maybe doing another half to sort out the run.

About the swim -- friends who had done B2B in prior years insisted that there was not a mandatory turn buoy. However, the RD said that there was at the meeting on Friday. Then, the morning of, they announced (during each wave) that we didn't have to turn around the buoy and they recommended that we keep it on our right (instead of the "required" left. Maybe they change it from required to not required every year the morning of? That seems silly. Maybe in the future it will just be a point-to-point swim (and however you get from point to point is up to you).

Edited by meaganmna 2012-10-24 2:31 PM
2012-10-24 2:24 PM
in reply to: #4467474

User image

Concord, NC
Gold member
I loved the swim and the bike, but did horrible on the run.  In thinking about it I never really trained properly for the run and trained about right for the swim and bike.  One of our members that was at the event with me is encouraging me to do the full with him next year, since we both totally enjoyed the race. The strangest part is that I'm actually considering it!  Nutrition for the run?  I'm a big believer in INFINIT Nutrition and Sports Legs, something I know Maria and Pete use (Warrior Club) for the full IMs.  I downloaded a half marathon training plan that starts this Sunday to help me get ready for the Huntersville Half Dec 8. Having the right nutrition won't be much help if I don't get the running game right.  You should def consider the B2B full, you already know the lay of the land.  
2012-10-24 2:33 PM
in reply to: #4467508

User image

New user

North Carolina
I have heard of INFINIT but haven't ever tried it. My plan was just to stick to gels, but I only took two and nothing after mile six. I guess I just got delerious and thought I was fine... until I wasn't. Shows you how important it is to stick to a plan even if you think you're feeling okay! Good for you for doing a half marathon in December -- you'll be trained already for it! Maybe I'll see you at the full next year
2012-10-24 2:46 PM
in reply to: #4467474

Veteran

1st in the 30-34F!!!  Yea, you should move up to the full!!!

Congratulations!!

2012-10-24 4:53 PM

User image

Newport News

Just getting over to the BT page, what a great day for a race and what an amazing experience.  My first half and got 4th in Masters.  I had not placed high enough for masters all year.

Congrats everyone! 

2012-10-26 7:44 AM
in reply to: #4467508

User image

Expert
, North Carolina

wsandford - 2012-10-24 3:24 PM I loved the swim and the bike, but did horrible on the run.  In thinking about it I never really trained properly for the run and trained about right for the swim and bike.  One of our members that was at the event with me is encouraging me to do the full with him next year, since we both totally enjoyed the race. The strangest part is that I'm actually considering it!  Nutrition for the run?  I'm a big believer in INFINIT Nutrition and Sports Legs, something I know Maria and Pete use (Warrior Club) for the full IMs.  I downloaded a half marathon training plan that starts this Sunday to help me get ready for the Huntersville Half Dec 8. Having the right nutrition won't be much help if I don't get the running game right.  You should def consider the B2B full, you already know the lay of the land.  

Yes, I absolutely swear by customized inifnit formula and sportslegs!  Liquid nutrition is the easiest to consume/digest and I KNOW that I'm getting the right balance of calories and electrolytes.  I do like a bit of solid nutrition on the bike, so I rotate Infinit with a Larabar or Honey Stinger Waffle.  Digestion usually shuts once getting into the run of an IM (at least for me), so I take in plenty on the bike, then back off the nutrition on the run.  I've never ever had muscle cramps during a race.

2012-10-26 7:48 AM
in reply to: #4470201

Veteran
Maria527 - 2012-10-26 8:44 AM

Yes, I absolutely swear by customized inifnit formula and sportslegs!  Liquid nutrition is the easiest to consume/digest and I KNOW that I'm getting the right balance of calories and electrolytes.  I do like a bit of solid nutrition on the bike, so I rotate Infinit with a Larabar or Honey Stinger Waffle.  Digestion usually shuts once getting into the run of an IM (at least for me), so I take in plenty on the bike, then back off the nutrition on the run.  I've never ever had muscle cramps during a race.

What did you use for nutrition on the run?  This is the one area that I have not nailed down yet.  I do great with liquids on the bike but can't handle gels or HEED on the run.

2012-10-26 8:18 AM
in reply to: #4470210

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
bhctri - 2012-10-26 8:48 AM
Maria527 - 2012-10-26 8:44 AM

What did you use for nutrition on the run?  This is the one area that I have not nailed down yet.  I do great with liquids on the bike but can't handle gels or HEED on the run.

Neither have I!  Last year at IMFL, I was so sick of drinking Infinit by the time I got to the run, I didn't want any more of it.  I picked a few things from aid stations and drank water/chicken broth.  But digestion shut down so I took in nothing but water for the second half of the run. 

This year, I only had a couple of Chocolate Agave #9 energy gels (slow burn) in my pocket and picked at the aid stations and drank chicken broth again.  I do not drink Heed at all (blech!); only water or chicken broth.  It's hard to figure out, but once digestion shuts down, there is no sense in forcing down nutrition, it'll just come back up.

For Halfs, I'd just use a couple of gels chased down with water.  But if you can't stomach gels, I bet you'd do well with a Honey Stinger Waffle (YUM!).

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 9