General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks Triathlon - Indian Springs State Park Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri the Parks Triathlon - Indian Springs State Park - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Flovilla, Georgia
United States
Blue Sky Sports
hotF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 17m 45s
Overall Rank = 29/
Age Group = M 25-29
Age Group Rank = 2/
Pre-race routine:

I didn't even realize that I was racing until Thursday, so this race was definitely a "wing it" type of event. I had taken about 3 weeks off prior to do vacation time this year, so my training lately has been a bit lacking. However, I went out with the mentality to have fun and perhaps light a new fire under my ass to train a bit more.
Event warmup:

Woke up and drove down with plenty of time to spare. Took my time, checked the bike gears, talked and socialized. Kept my mind busy so I wouldn't worry.

Swim
  • 12m 35s
  • 600 meters
  • 02m 06s / 100 meters
Comments:

Started off to the outside to avoid some conflict which seemed to work well. Sighting was good, as well as drafting. Despite me not going to masters lately and not swimming in almost a month due to being out of town, I feel good about my performance.
What would you do differently?:

I need to figure out how to keep the goggles from fogging up so badly. Also, more time in the pool to learn to catch and pull the water better. I am not the best at really powering in the water so building upper body strength is important.
Transition 1
  • 00m 40s
Comments:

Did not do a flying mount this time. Turned out to be a good move on my part, as my time did not suffer because of it and it kept me from acting a fool and falling like at John Tanner.

Practice mounting the bike more. I need to get that down.
Bike
  • 40m 57s
  • 14.3 miles
  • 20.95 mile/hr
Comments:

I am not a fan of this bike course. The first bit is challenging because of early hills, but it turns into some fast parts later on. Regardless, I wish I could have broken under 40 minutes for this time. Passed Shanks and another age group guy right off the bat. Was able to hold off Shanks until 1/2 way into the run and never saw the other guy.

Best time AG, so I guess I did something right. Getting used to the new bike so I suppose you can say I sandbagged it in that sense.

I need to get more consistent with my power levels. Too many times I saw the % drop to 50 or so, especially at topping out on a hill. Even going down hill I should be pushing it hard. Still I was able to keep it as high as I could while being smart.
Transition 2
  • 00m 29s
Comments:

Quick like a bunny rabbit.
Run
  • 23m 1s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

Calfs cramped up right off the bike, so I did not feel too confident. Either way, they were "ok" after about 400 meters. Kept trying to push the pace, but I knew Shanks was closing in. He passed after the first campsite and I knew I could not hold on to him. Let him go and continued on, however with less vigor than before. Diaphragm wanted to cramp something fierce, so that made me walk a bit. Came in 400 yards to go and caught Dan on the side. Him saying I was out for a jog instead of racing provided that extra push and kick to the finish.

Once again, the run is my limiter. I knew that there was a sizeable gap between me and competitors behind me, so I let myself walk more than I care to admit. I let myself cheat when it was not necessary or appropriate.

Getting rid of the mental BS I play with myself on the run needs to be top priority.
Post race
Warm down:

Sat down for a bit and took in fluids. Thought about the race and really am content with the performance.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

What do you think? Run faster, dont be a pussy and swim harder.

However, I podium-ed after almost 2 years, which is a good mental boost that I need. I hate being close to the top but not able to reach it.

Event comments:

Once again, top notch. Its a bit warm, but thats expected for GA this time of year. maybe they can re-route the run to make it less miserable!

Last updated: 2012-04-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:35 | 600 meters | 02m 06s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 83F / 28C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:40
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:40:57 | 14.3 miles | 20.95 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:29
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:23:01 | 03.1 miles | 07m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/
Performance: Below average
Course: Hot and hilly.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2012-06-25 1:06 PM

User image

Expert
Roswell, GA
Subject: Tri the Parks Triathlon - Indian Springs State Park
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks Triathlon - Indian Springs State Park Rss Feed