General Discussion Race Reports! » 2012 CROSSFIT AKRON Triathlon & Duathlon @ Munroe Falls Metroparks Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

2012 CROSSFIT AKRON Triathlon & Duathlon @ Munroe Falls Metroparks - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Munroe Falls, OH, Ohio
United States
CHAMP Racing
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 15m 35s
Overall Rank = 27/76
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 5/16
Pre-race routine:

Woke up before the sun came up (YUCK!) at 4:30 - made a quick egg and bagel sandwich to eat on the road and drove the hour and 15 minutes to the park. Scarfed my usual piece of homemade banana bread about 45 minutes pre-race.
Event warmup:

Short jog, a few lunges, high knees, etc. along with a quick swim.
Swim
  • 07m 58s
  • 400 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was far and away better than any of my swims from last year. The open water swim practices have helped immensely with my comfort around other swimmers. I am REALLY happy with this swim.
What would you do differently?:

I still need to work on my passing skills and probably should have sighted more frequently.
Transition 1
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

Had a bit of a challenge getting my shoes clipped in. Everything was soaking wet (yes, I know Captain Obvious here), but it made things a bit more slippery and I never really considered that before that moment.

Not sure, I guess more practice clipping in and out will help since I'm still kind of new to the whole deal.
Bike
  • 39m 39s
  • 12 miles
  • 18.16 mile/hr
Comments:

I had one of those "you're an idiot" moments about halfway through the first loop. My legs were burning and I kept checking the Garmin and seeing 16, thinking I was only going 16mph, I was really worried about a super slow pace. Then the light bulb went on, my heart rate was in the 160's. That whole time, I was gunning at 19-20 mph. DOH!

I really need to work on my bike. Last year it was my strongest sport. This year I have focused so much on my running that this has fallen by the wayside. Definitely need to ramp up the two-wheel training, especially the hills for the OLY in August.
Transition 2
  • 00m 55s

Fiddle a little with the straps on the shoes... never thought until just know that I could unhook on the bike and pedal on the tops of the shoes... may practice that a bit before the next race.
Run
  • 25m 53s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

So the good news is that I shaved a full minute per mile off my best tri run from last year. The bad news is that I am still finishing in the bottom half in this sport. These are are some BAMFers when it comes to running. The top chica knocked out the run in 18:28 (that's just sick!).

Not much here to do except just keep training. It's obviously the place where I can make up the most time.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around the park a bit, stretched, etc.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing on the day of the race. In time, as I develop my running and get some extra saddle time, I might be dangerous :D

Event comments:

NOTE: All my ranks are only among the females. They did not mix the results and I seriously did not feel like counting the men's results tonight.

Last updated: 2012-06-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:58 | 400 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 20/16
Overall: 2/76
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri Suit
Course: Aside from the murkiness, we might as well have been swimming in a pool. This was a super small, shallow (therefore warm) inland lake with zero waves. Straight down and back - super easy, super short swim.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:11
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:39:39 | 12 miles | 18.16 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/16
Overall: 24/76
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: They said this course was flat.... they lied! This was a rolling hills course with a couple of nasty little inclines towards the end of the loop. Since there were two loops, you got to ride them twice... just to double the pleasure - lol!
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:55
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:53 | 03.1 miles | 08m 21s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/16
Overall: 47/76
Performance: Good
Course: Nice little double loop through the park and around the lake. Slow gradual incline at the end - why is the hill always at the end?? Great shade throughout.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-06-25 6:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleveland area, OH
Subject: 2012 CROSSFIT AKRON Triathlon & Duathlon @ Munroe Falls Metroparks

2012-06-26 12:36 PM
in reply to: #4279962

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
Subject: RE: 2012 CROSSFIT AKRON Triathlon & Duathlon @ Munroe Falls Metroparks
Awesome, race!!  5th in age group is not so shabby!!  Nicely done!!  That's great that you're seeing some major improvement in the swim, woohoo!!  You have a great chance of placing in your age group next year if you keep it up with your training! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 2012 CROSSFIT AKRON Triathlon & Duathlon @ Munroe Falls Metroparks Rss Feed