Streamline Events, LLC
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 37m 29s
Overall Rank = 652/800
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 42/60
Pre-race routine:

Stomach was a little unsettled, so just managed a few sips of coffee and 1/2 banana with peanut butter for b'fast. Picked up 2 friends in the neighborhood who were also racing and drove to venue. It was nice to carpool and have the company!
Event warmup:

Just walked around a bit.
Swim
  • 11m 56s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

The water looked pretty calm from the beach. I was surprised by how strong the current was once in the water. And felt like the distance was a bit longer than 1/4 mile based on my time. Definitely should have pushed it more.. The temp was great, though!
What would you do differently?:

HTFU - really should have pushed my pace more!
Transition 1
  • 02m 29s
Comments:

T1 felt okay. My wetsuit never comes off easily! I was chatting with some people at the bike rack during T1, probably could have kept socializing to a minimum.

Not too much
Bike
  • 45m 42s
  • 12 miles
  • 15.75 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike went pretty well. Went to take a Gu at the beginning of bike leg but dropped it. Knew I had a "back up" gel in my tri suit. Went to grab that one and it had fallen out, DOH! Just hoped that my blood sugar didn't get low on bike course! The temps were starting to really heat up - drank my entire water bottle on bike course. Since we were that last wave to start in the race, I was surprised by how few racers were still on the road! Most of the spectators had already packed it up! :(

HTFU and not drop my Gu. I didn't end up needing the Gu (my blood sugar actually ended up being a little high at end of race, so glad I didn't have one), but I think it caused me a little stress just knowing that if I did need it because of low blood sugar, I was SOL.
Transition 2
  • 02m 11s

faster
Run
  • 35m 13s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 11m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

total sufferfest! it was SO hot and sunny on the course by the time we got running (since we were last wave to go off). there were more water stops last year. i think a lot of people had packed up the water hoses/supplies by the time our wave got out on the run. i don't even think i needed the water to drink, but it would have been nice to have to pour on our heads to cool down. you know it's the bitter end of the race when not even the race photographers stuck around to take our pictures on the run course! i wasn't even DFL! i'm really disappointed with my pace on this run. :(

not walked hills and possibly run with water bottle if i had known there would not be much water on the course.
Post race
Warm down:

walked around and hung out with friends

What limited your ability to perform faster:

fitness, heat, shin injury

Event comments:

Fun race atmosphere. Could be better organized - 1/2 hour delay to start first wave, not enough water on the run course for the last wave.

Would do it again though!

Last updated: 2011-12-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:56 | 440 yards | 02m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/60
Overall: 526/800
Performance: Below average
Suit: Blue Seventy Sleeveless
Course: Rectangular swim at Sandy Beach.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: High
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:29
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:45:42 | 12 miles | 15.75 mile/hr
Overall: 662/800
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Loop around Cohasset and through some of Scituate. Some hills. Very scenic!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:11
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:35:13 | 03.2 miles | 11m 01s  min/mile
Overall: 678/800
Performance: Bad
Course: 5K loop through town of Cohasset.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-06-26 7:13 AM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
Subject: Cohasset Triathlon

2012-06-26 7:42 AM
in reply to: #4280512

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Subject: RE: Cohasset Triathlon
Great job, Katie! Thought I saw you a couple times, and asked 2 different women "Are you Katie?" only to find I was wrong .

Agree the run course was hot. spectator count was way down this year, and not sure why. Center of town was  a ghost town, and that is where lots of folks usually gather.  The idea of race morning chip distribution didn't work at all. That is what caused the biggest delay, I think.
2012-06-27 12:47 PM
in reply to: #4280512

User image

New user
KY
Subject: RE: Cohasset Triathlon
I love your one word response to "What would you have done differently?"  Just "faster."  LMAO!  I think we could all use that response, ha ha!  Great race report and I still think you had a good race.  That swim must have been tough.  I think I would fall apart in a strong current- notice I look for river races where you swim WITH the current.  You're a tough swimmer for making it through and finishing mid-pack as well.  And that heat must have been miserable, especially on the run.  Stupid race photographers for leaving early, though!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cohasset Triathlon Rss Feed