United States
Western Wheelers
Sunny
Total Time = 8h 06m 34s
Overall Rank = ?/1200
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Early start; oatmeal/protein powder/yogurt breakfast bowl; stretch. Stay well-hyrdated the 2 days prior.
Event warmup:

Stretch.
Bike
  • 8h 06m 34s
  • 102.59 miles
  • 12.65 mile/hr
Comments:

This century is notable for its hills. While I have done hill work; I'd not done nearly the grade of hills encountered on this ride. I did make it up all of them, though, without walking. I stopped only at designated rest stops except for when my chain came off twice and at Monte Bello trailhead at Mile 90 for one last GU. I had hoped to have mostly flat/downhill after Mile 80, but that was not at all the case. They planned the course to include climbs through mile 93! So, the last 9 miles were downhill/flat.
What would you do differently?:

I need to practice turns/cornering on steep down hills as I think I slow down too much. Also, on rough roads my hands get really fatigued - some hand strengthening exercises would be good. Include some steeper hills in my training rides both up and down. This race supplied everything from sunblock to mechanics and I would carry less gear with me next time. I'm still not sure how to dress - it's very cool in the morning and on some parts of Skyline and then warm in the afternoon. How to layer without ending up carrying it with me all day?

Given that this is the first ride I've done over 70 miles, I feel good about my performance. By reputation this is a difficult century so I feel good about that choice too, although I have no other rides to compare. I'm glad I signed up for a ride that pushed me, but was not beyond my ability to complete.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretch; drink more water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mostly just need to get a better base and work on some skills, such as steep descents. Rough road over about 1/4 of the course and potholes on the last downhill segment but in a 100 mile course, rough roads are pretty much guaranteed on at least some of the ride. All part of the sport, I guess.

Event comments:

Extremely well marked course; saw sag vehicles all day so there was abundant, immediate support if needed. Great food - not just pastries and cliff bars, but good, healthy energy food. Lots of anti-bacterial pumps too and people served the food instead of riders reaching for it, which helps with sanitation. High level of service.

Last updated: 2006-04-08 12:00 AM
Biking
08:06:34 | 102.59 miles | 12.65 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/1200
Performance:
7 hours, 56 minutes at the 100 mile point.
Wind: Little
Course: Palo Alto Veteran Hospital to Santa Cruz and back.
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-06-05 1:28 PM

Veteran
San Mateo, California
Subject: Sequoia Century

2006-06-05 3:15 PM
in reply to: #443711

User image

Master
San Mateo, CA
Subject: RE: Sequoia Century
That first climb was really something else.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sequoia Century Rss Feed