General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone have thyroid issues? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-06-26 10:36 PM

Subject: Anyone have thyroid issues?
I just recently went for an annual physical and discovered my thyroid levels are low.  I need to go back in a month to retest and possibly get medication.  I have heard their are some nasty side effects with thyroid meds. = (   But maybe correcting the thyroid could help with my weight???

2012-06-27 12:20 PM
in reply to: #4282158

User image

Regular
Maryland
Subject: RE: Anyone have thyroid issues?

I'm on meds for low thryoid.  I can't say I recall any side effects - good bad or indifferent - from them.

I was hoping they would fire up my metabolism and the weight would melt off like butter, but (sigh) that didn't happen either.

2012-06-27 5:57 PM
in reply to: #4283137

Thanks!  Nice to know you haven't had any side effects.  I was also hoping for the weight to come off easier if I got on meds... oh well. 
2012-06-27 9:23 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Bay
Just started on meds for underactive thyroid, no side effects I have noticed in the 2 weeks I have been on them.
2012-06-27 10:17 PM

User image

Expert
Woodland, California
I've been on levothyroxine for 6 or 7 years.  No noticeable effects, good or bad, except a more regular cycle.  I remember my Dr said it would be easier to keep weight off.... no noticeable effect there either, unfortunately!
2012-06-28 7:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Outside Boston
Also been on meds 6 years. No side effects. No keeping off the weight either.

2012-07-04 8:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Southern Maryland

My mother has been on thyroid meds for over 30 years...still has issues losing weight.  Then again, she has absolutely NO thyroid, not just hypothyroid (surgery for goiter took the whole thing out).  Then again, I have friends who just got started on thyroid meds in the past year.  One lost 10lbs without much effort, and one lost 5 lbs in a month without any effort at all.  I think it's a matter of dosage and your doctor.  

I will say that my one friend said that it's not a matter of the weight loss so much as she has much more energy now to actually do what she wants to do.  She no longer sits on the couch and plays on the computer...she's out with the dog, going to the gym...her energy is up, and her motivation is up.  Supposedly it's amazing what can happen when you have energy...

I plan on heading to an endocrinologist once the baby is born.  I'm thinking I have some issues myself...

2012-07-05 10:44 AM
in reply to: #4285864

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Jahmmy - 2012-06-28 8:59 PM Also been on meds 6 years. No side effects. No keeping off the weight either.

Same here.  I've never had side effects on the medication.  The effects of being off the medication or having the wrong dose are way worse.  I also have a hard time losing weight.

2012-07-07 9:07 AM

User image

New user

Oak Lawn, IL
I acquired Psoriasis when I started on Levothyroxine and had an issue with weight loss (couldn't lose any for 2 years). but the last few months I have changed up my diet to more of a plant passed diet with the occasional junk food maybe once or twice a week and I have convinced my Dr to keep me at 112 mcg at least till my next blood work. Im down 20 pounds since late april and the psoriasis is slowly clearing up.  My personal belief is the meds are good to help keep things in check but to make it really work; you need to step up, put your best foot forward, and fight to get your body functioning the way it was meant to.
2012-07-09 3:21 PM

User image

Regular
I started on levothyraxane about 4 years ago for an underactive thyroid. I have had no side affects from the medicine. I have notice an enegy gain and the ability to lose weight (and keep it off). If there are side effects, they are likely less than leaving your under active thryoid get worse....
2012-08-20 1:44 PM

User image

Regular
Chicago Area
I have hypothyroidism, diagnosed about a year ago through a routine physical exam and blood work.  Until then I never knew I had the condition.  They put me on levothyroxine and have gradually upped the dose over several months.  Now they have it dialed in and haven't changed my dosage in quite some time.  I can't report feeling any different.  Honestly I didn't feel sluggish before I knew I had it, so the meds are not making me feel any different that I can tell.  The only difference I see are meaningless (to me) numbers on my lab reports.  I have no noticeable side-effects from the meds either. 

2012-08-20 1:54 PM
in reply to: #4371611

User image

Sensei
Sin City
I don't have one, does that count?
2012-08-20 2:01 PM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham

I've been hypothyroid for about 13 years now.  My weight goes up and down, depending on where my levels fall in the range.   I'm by no means overweight but of course when I'm on the heavier side of my weight range I'm not happy about it knowing I have been smaller in the past in my pre-thyroid issue days.

Sometimes your level may be "in range" but if you're still feeling sluggish and exhibiting symptoms then you may need to talk to your doc about targeting the middle, high, low end of the range for the different thyroid levels (TSH, free T4 and T3) if you don't notice a huge improvement in how you feel.  I usually don't lose weight when my synthroid levels are upped. I do however notice a small amount of weightloss when I'm on cytomel, which helps elevate the T3 level.  I've noticed the biggest improvement with energy being on cytomel. Some docs will prescribe it and others don't put as much importance on T3 levels and may not even test them.  Make sure you get your T3 tested- it helps give a more accurate picture of what is going on.

I have always thought that the thyroid meds themselves don't help me automatically shed pounds, but it's the increase in energy level that is a huge factor in weightloss.  When my levels are good I have more energy to do A LOT more, hence some weightloss.

One thing to think about- also get your vitamin d levels checked.  I recently found out my level was low and it totally explains why I've been feeling so exhausted and sluggish.  I've been told that hypothyroidism and low vitamin d levels kinda go hand in hand so it's good to have yours checked regularly.

I've never had nasty side effects from the thyroid meds.  If the correct dosage is prescribed and properly monitored you should feel 100% better as far as energy goes!!  Good luck!

2012-08-20 2:02 PM
in reply to: #4371629

User image

Sensei
Sin City

It takes about 6 weeks for the dossage to take effect.  I take Synthroid (levothyroxine) and finally have it dialed in.  (I go in on friday to check my levels to make sure)...  Since is the EXACT same thing the body produces, there are no side effects from the medication itself, just under or over dossage.

When you are under medicated, you feel tired and sluggish and may have a hard time losing weight.  When you are slightly over medicated, you feel tired and sluggish as well -  go figure!  I and I HOPED I would see weight melt away - but nope.

I would say that after 2-3 attempts, they finally got it right and the last 4-5 months I felt myself again (prior to having it removed).  As for dropping LBS, it's still a struggle, but it was before I started the meds as well.  So nothing new.  No magic side effect or magic pill.  Still takes work.

2012-08-20 2:10 PM
in reply to: #4371650

User image

Sensei
Sin City
runnergirl - 2012-08-20 12:01 PM

I've been hypothyroid for about 13 years now.  My weight goes up and down, depending on where my levels fall in the range.   I'm by no means overweight but of course when I'm on the heavier side of my weight range I'm not happy about it knowing I have been smaller in the past in my pre-thyroid issue days.

Sometimes your level may be "in range" but if you're still feeling sluggish and exhibiting symptoms then you may need to talk to your doc about targeting the middle, high, low end of the range for the different thyroid levels (TSH, free T4 and T3) if you don't notice a huge improvement in how you feel.  I usually don't lose weight when my synthroid levels are upped. I do however notice a small amount of weightloss when I'm on cytomel, which helps elevate the T3 level.  I've noticed the biggest improvement with energy being on cytomel. Some docs will prescribe it and others don't put as much importance on T3 levels and may not even test them.  Make sure you get your T3 tested- it helps give a more accurate picture of what is going on.

I have always thought that the thyroid meds themselves don't help me automatically shed pounds, but it's the increase in energy level that is a huge factor in weightloss.  When my levels are good I have more energy to do A LOT more, hence some weightloss.

One thing to think about- also get your vitamin d levels checked.  I recently found out my level was low and it totally explains why I've been feeling so exhausted and sluggish.  I've been told that hypothyroidism and low vitamin d levels kinda go hand in hand so it's good to have yours checked regularly.

I've never had nasty side effects from the thyroid meds.  If the correct dosage is prescribed and properly monitored you should feel 100% better as far as energy goes!!  Good luck!

Most people shouldn't need Cytomel, is my understanding, unless your body has a hard time metabolizing Synthroid/levothyroxine.

I was on it for a short time to "take the edge off" after the surgery and before I could get on Sythroid.  That medication DOES had a day to day effect on how you feel (available T3).

Being severly hypothryoidic (as in NO thyroid activity) can be VERY uncomfortable and down right painful.  I wouldn't wish that on anyone for any long period of time.  The though crossed my mind when they put my in that state pre radiation for a short period, that if I had to be like that for the rest of my life?  I don't know if I could go on.  Just knowing that it would be better soon got me through it.

2012-08-21 8:53 AM
in reply to: #4371673

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
Kido - 2012-08-20 3:10 PM
runnergirl - 2012-08-20 12:01 PM

Most people shouldn't need Cytomel, is my understanding, unless your body has a hard time metabolizing Synthroid/levothyroxine.

I was on it for a short time to "take the edge off" after the surgery and before I could get on Sythroid.  That medication DOES had a day to day effect on how you feel (available T3).

Being severly hypothryoidic (as in NO thyroid activity) can be VERY uncomfortable and down right painful.  I wouldn't wish that on anyone for any long period of time.  The though crossed my mind when they put my in that state pre radiation for a short period, that if I had to be like that for the rest of my life?  I don't know if I could go on.  Just knowing that it would be better soon got me through it.

Of course it varies from person to person, but the combo of cytomel and synthroid work great for me.  I haven't had any negative effects being on the combination of those 2.   You just need to find what works for you.  It can be straight forward or a bit tricky depending on your situation.  Everyone is different.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone have thyroid issues? Rss Feed