General Discussion Race Reports! » Kerr Lake Olympic Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Kerr Lake Olympic Distance Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Henderson, North Carolina
United States
Set-up
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 26m 38s
Overall Rank = 26/68
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 6/7
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5 AM, ate some oatmeal w/ a banana, fresh blueberries, and slivered almonds. It was a big bowl, but usually I can eat it just fine. I had to force myself to finish it off--I think I had some race day jitters... wondering if one month of training (after no tri training since last October) was going to be enough, etc. etc.

In any event, I had loaded up most everything into the car the night before, so I just put on my trisuit, clothes, got a few "psych up" CD's, filled water bottles, and hit the road.

I listened to Pretty Hate Machine on the way down. Loud. I used to listen to this stuff at swim meets back in the day to get all pumped up to kick ass! Hehe. Good stuff, good stuff!

Got a perfect parking spot at the park--the last spot before you had to start going to a different lot way further away. So I was as close as you could possibly get to the race start/finish area! Whoo hoo.
Event warmup:

Just got checked in, set up my transition, and then took the bike out for a quick check. Had to stretch the butt out... kinda feeling a slight pull in the right cheek. Not much I could do at that point. (I think the 8 mile run the day before kinda agrovated it.) Not much of a warm up really.
Swim
  • 21m 26s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 19s / 100 yards
Comments:

DAMN GOGGLES. I had to stop swimming four times to rinse my damn goggles out, in spite of my use of anti-fog drops (damn things don't work very well). And once the lenses were clear, omg, sighting was soooo easy, but then they'd fog up again in no time, and then my navigation would SUCK ASS because I wasn't really sure where I was going. It doesn't help that my contacts have a VERY old perscription so I really am pretty blind. This was very frustrating b/c I feel that I could have had a better/faster swim leg if I had been able to see. Apart from that, the swim was nice. When I got down to the lake, it looked a lot longer than I expected it to look. But once we actually started swimming, the turns came much quicker than I expected. Which was a good thing. I rounded the turns pretty tight which was good as well (once I was that close, I could see the freaking thing so I had no problem navigating...)!
What would you do differently?:

Definitely need to get a "go-to" pair of goggles that I trust and know will NOT fog on a 2.4 mile swim (let alone a 1500 m swim)! Shannon recommended a pair... I'll have to try them out. I should also think about getting an updated perscription for my contact lenses. I'm WAY overdue!
Transition 1
  • 02m 11s
Comments:

This was "okay." I have never practiced transitions, ever. I guess I've never been good enough to care about an extra :30... but I see that if you are a hard-core oly-distance racer, those extra :30 make a huge difference. I thought I had a pretty quick transition while still maintaining a non-panic-frenzy-type mood.

I guess I could just practice a real race transition. It's not really all that applicable to my A race this year (IM) but I certainly could shave a few seconds off here or there... I don't currently get into my shoes on the bike. Hells no--that's disaster waiting to happen. However, I guess if I wanted to have a faster T1, I could learn to do (and practice--a LOT) that.
Bike
  • 1h 11m 30s
  • 24 miles
  • 20.14 mile/hr
Comments:

I didn't really go too "easy" out of T1. (Like, I know for my IM I'll need to let the HR settle etc. etc.) Pretty much 2-3 miles in I decided I was not going to leave anything on the course, so after sucking down an e-Gel, I hit it. I was going to bike hard, and if I suffered on the run because of it, so be it--I wanted to see how far my body can be pushed. And I felt like I was pushing the whole time. I kept trying to catch up with people ahead of me... sometimes it worked, sometimes not. And I got passed a lot too. Hehe. I get the feeling like I was kind of at the back end of the "fast" women, but before the "slower" ones... I didn't pass too many chicks and very few passed me. I think I'm going to have to think through my hydration strategy for IMFL. I really don't like getting out of aero to reach for the bottle. It upsets my groove. Haha--I'm so lame. But really, it was okay for this bike b/c it was so short, and I consiously made an effort to drink, however, I can see myself getting into trouble on a longer race. Alternatively, I guess I just have to break the mental thing in my head that feels like I'm going too easy and losing too much ground if I take the time to sit up and reach for the bottle drink and replace the bottle.

Oh almost forgot--I HATE MY TRI SUIT. It doesn't provide good, uh, protection for the bike. And it's not about thickness--I have a pair of tri shorts that have the thinnest chamios ever, but they somehow are WAY more comfy than this suit was. Then again, I never ride with wet shorts... so that may have been a major factor. In any event, there was major pinching/chafing going on--nothing TOO painful, but enough to be very distracting, and not comfortable at all. Certainly made me very happy the ride was ony 24 miles!

Not his the pothole at mile 20. I hit it dead on going probably about 20 mph. Not fun. Other than that, I'd have just trained more (I really have only been making an effort to get bike miles in for the past 3-4 weeks) so that I could have pushed a faster pace. Also, figure out a more comfy pair of shorts--or maybe I just need more TITS to season up the crotch a bit more...! (Uh, sorry if this is TMI.)
Transition 2
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

Nothing spectacular here. Came in with two or three other people so I had to make sure I didn't run anyone over! Again, I've never practiced transitions, so I just racked my bike, took the helmet off, race belt on, shoes on & tied, a swig of water and some water to rinse off salt, and on I went.

Practice the transition. Learn to do crazy stuff like ride with feet on the shoes, and "jump off moving bike."
Run
  • 50m 41s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

It's funny, I was totally stoked to see how fast my run time was. However, I was dead last in my age group and also behind my overall race rank with this run. I guess there are just a lot of damn fast runners who do triathlons in these parts! The first 1-2 miles off the bike sucked. I haven't done much bricking (I think maybe two), and DAMN, I thought every muscle in my legs (calfs, quads esp.) were going to seize up and make for a VERY painful 10K. However, I started sucking down a second e-Gel. I usually eat half right away, and then nurse the 2nd half. I used this strategy, and it worked great. I took water, at the lake and far-turn-around aid stations (not from the one near the park) on both laps. This worked good too. Anyhoo, after I came back up the gravel path on the 1st lap, the crap was starting to work itself out of my leg muscles, and I was back on track. Now I kind of wish I had worn the Garmin to see how slow I was on the first few miles. On the run, I definitely tried to hunt people down. I'd get someone in my sights and say to myself, "Okay, Mr. 48-year-old-partially-balding-man-in-a-blue-tri-suit, you're mine!" I know it's lame, but it's just a mental game that helps me keep up my pace, and hopefully gain some ground. (Obviously I didn't gain any ground in my AG, as I was dead last for the run--oh well.) Sometimes I get to thinking like I'm Highlander. Remember? When he chopped off heads, he got like a power jolt. I try to pass people to get a power jolt. I hope this doesn't sound dick-ish... I mean I cheer on everyone I pass with a "stay strong" or "hang in there" or whatnot and try to give them that extra push to keep on truckin'. Now this strategy doesn't always work b/c sometimes, esp. when the run is your weakest link, you get passed more than you pass. And those targets just keep getting farther and farther away. When that happens, you just gotta pick a new mental game. Maybe, like, singing back 80's tunes or something! :)

Do more bricks! I could obviously do more run training too, but I'm okay with my running right now... I would still like to work on improving it, but it takes back seat to bike ME.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, got a big 'ole plate of spaghetti and marinara sauce, and walked around to catch up with Edde, John, Jenn, etc. and then walked out to hang w/ Shannon and wait for Christian to come in! Of course I stretched the butt. I'm very thankful that the butt didn't go into spasms on the race course. (I had been a little worried about that prior to the race.)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training. The only equipment I'm going to point fingers at are my stupid goggles. Having clear vision would have made the swim faster, I believe.

Event comments:

This was my first North Carolina race and it didn't disappoint. Set-Up, Inc. puts on a quality race, and I'm excited to do some more. It was great to know people (mostly through BT) at the race as well. I got to meet Mike (HookedOnTri) in person which was cool. The weather was absolutely fantastic (I was very worried we were going to have horrible heat and humidity, but it ended up being fantastically mild (by NC standards). All-in-all it was a great time and schedule-allowing, I'll be back again next year to see if I can better that 2nd to last in AG finish!

Last updated: 2006-05-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:26 | 1640 yards | 01m 19s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/7
Overall: 25/68
Performance: Below average
Suit: DeSoto Tri Suit
Course: Long triangle course.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:11
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:11:30 | 24 miles | 20.14 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/7
Overall: 20/68
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: Great one-loop through the countryside. For an "easy flat" course, there were a lot of rollers. I definitely had to bust ass up several full on hills. The road in many places was a really rough pave which was annoying and there were also a number of potholes (I hit one straight on at mile 20--ugh)! Seemed windy to me (but maybe just because I felt like I was always riding into wind... when really I was just tired... haha). However, it was a beautiful course, and the weather, other than the "wind" was perfect.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 90s
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:20
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:50:41 | 06.21 miles | 08m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/7
Overall: 30/68
Performance: Good
Course: Two lap run course with a spur that goes onto gravel down to the lake and back up to the road. The long leg of the course is on a slight grade... up one way and then a long slight downhill all the way back. A good deal of the long downhill was shaded which was AWESOME.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-06-05 3:16 PM

Extreme Veteran
Cary, NC
Subject: Kerr Lake Olympic Distance Triathlon
Whoo-hooo! 1st North Carolina triathlon in the BOOKS, and it was a damn good time!

Edited by DB8 2006-06-05 3:17 PM

2006-06-05 6:07 PM
in reply to: #443847

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: RE: Kerr Lake Olympic Distance Triathlon
Can I possibly be first to reply...Yes!

Great race! Nice swim...I guess you don't really need to train the swim or the bike for that matter. : ) Great job. As for the goggles, I have a race pair that I use occasionally use in practice. I even got them a dorky case so that they don't get scratched up in my bag. You laugh but at least I can see during the swim. : )

Great race!

Mike
2006-06-05 7:26 PM

Regular
Wilmington, NC
Great race Debbie!  It was good to see you on the bike and the run ... of course, you were always passing me!   Great race, and thanks for staying around to cheer me in!
2006-06-05 7:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Kinston, NC
Heck of a race. I would kill to have anywhere close to your swim pace. And you had to deal with the goggles. I will also say that you must have had a very competitive group because with those times I would think you are finishing higher.

Great race.
2006-06-05 8:17 PM

User image

Master
Colorado

Ok, with those splits and that age group rank ... I don't wanna race in North Carolina!

Great job! That's an awesome time and sounds like a good race.

2006-06-06 7:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mountains of Colorado!
boy how 'bout some lessons on the run .....

2006-06-06 7:21 AM

User image

Expert
North Carolina

Nice times!!! That T2 time needs some work but great performance overall!!!

Edited by BeCivil 2006-06-06 7:21 AM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kerr Lake Olympic Distance Triathlon Rss Feed