General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lake Zurich or Wauconda Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-06-27 4:26 PM

User image

Subject: Lake Zurich or Wauconda Triathlon

Who is planning on racing either Lake Zurich on 7/8 or Wauconda on 7/22?  I am planning on signing up for one of the two races, not sure which yet.  Any thoughts or opinions on either race?  For reference I just finished the Pleasant Prairie Oly last weekend.

2012-06-27 7:22 PM
in reply to: #4283673

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Subject: RE: Lake Zurich or Wauconda Triathlon
cvette4 - 2012-06-27 4:26 PM

Who is planning on racing either Lake Zurich on 7/8 or Wauconda on 7/22?  I am planning on signing up for one of the two races, not sure which yet.  Any thoughts or opinions on either race?  For reference I just finished the Pleasant Prairie Oly last weekend.

I've done PP in the past.   Lake Zurich if you can imagine is even murkier than Lake Andrea!    I did Lake Zurich in 2010 and I think I caught some sort of flesh eating disease.      The water was too warm for a wetsuit.    Bike Course a bit tougher than PP  the run much more pleasant, but ya pain there too.    so guess what....        

I'm going to race Lake Zurich this year AGAIN!  Laughing    what does this say about me?  dunno. 

I've also raced in Bang's lake.   I think after that one I had to go on antibiotics.    SO pick your poison.   or even better   do both?    

2012-06-27 10:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Irvine, California
I'm doing the Lake Zurich.  Never been there, and no idea what to expect.  Can't imagine the water is much worse than the green stuff we' swim in in Arizona (Tempe Town Lake & Canyon Lake), but who knows.  I saw the maps, but doesn't look like there's too much elevation changes unless I'm reading it wrong?  
2012-06-27 11:29 PM

Glen Ellyn, IL
I'm doing Lake Zurich-- did it LY for the first time.  Well run race with a relatively small group.  Water was over 78 LY.  There was a bad stretch on the bike where they had laid rubber mats in some places. Hopefully no construction this year.  Run is twice around the lake.  Race director is very focused on running a good race.  Never done Wauconda.
2012-06-28 7:06 AM

User image

New user

Lake Zurich
I did both of them last year.  LZ was very well organized and the courses were pretty flat.  The lake was warm and there was a lot of seaweed throughout the entire swim which was a little surprising.  With Bangs lake they have you swim across the lake therefore they bus you from the transition are to the other side of the lake to begin the race.  I didn't like that so much.  The run was hilly but challenging.  Hope it helps.  You really can't go wrong with either one.
2012-06-28 8:37 AM

User image

Chicago

I've done the sprint in Wauconda I think 4 times now.

It's a nice little race - I always like the swim because you're essentially going straight across a certain part of the lake, which makes sighting easier.  Just one buoy you have to veer left at.

This is the first year they've done an Olympic though - the swim will be set up a little different.  I've never had an issue with the water quality or anything like that.  I'm do think near the shore lines there is weeds, but out in the middle during the majority of the swim it's just a lake like any other.

Bike & run course are fairly uneventful, but I've always felt safe and they're well-staffed and overall it has been a good experience doing this race.  I'm doing the olympic this year.

2012-06-28 9:51 AM

Master
Northern IL

Never seen or done Lake Zurich, so can't comment there. Did Wauconda  few years ago and thought it was decent. Point to point swim is fine. Takes 5 min to bus there (might not be that). I liked that because when you reach the end you get out instead of having to go back. The Oly will have you go farther out and angle back.

They cut off a little of the old sprint bike course so that the Oly will be 2 loops of exactly the same thing. No big deal. Nothing special. A number of small hills everywhere. Can only sit in and hammer away for a minute or two before needing a gear shift.

Both runs will have a bunch of hills. Nothing big, but they will be short and could be steep. Don't kill yourself on them. Should be fun.

I might do the sprint, but will depend on how I feel then. It'll be sandwiched between two other races I want to do more.

Edited by brigby1 2012-06-28 9:55 AM
2012-06-29 1:09 PM

User image

I signed up for the Lake Zurich tri... there seems to be quite the contingent of BT'ers doing this race, so might as well join them.

I like the idea that the LZ course is fairly flat because this big guy can't climb.  I am in the M35-39 category, maybe will get to see some of you around the course.

2012-06-29 7:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling
I am signed up for Wauconda. Will be my first olympic. Prep for my him in september.
2012-06-29 10:18 PM

User image

Expert
Chicago
I'm in for LZ.
2012-06-30 10:51 PM

User image

Evanston
Signed up for LZ and I think I am about to sign up for Wauconda.  So I'll have 3 race weeks in a row when I throw in Racine the 15th!  I am happy I found out about Wauconda because I have not been able to train much lately and I wanted to put a good race together at LZ but I will be racing off of my IM Texas base and a few weeks post Texas but hopefully I'll be back to training Monday so I get back in the swim of things!

2012-07-02 8:32 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois

I might do Waconda.  I always wanted to do LZ but I do not think I will be ready for it.  if I tried I think it would take me about 5 hours to do it.  no joke.  Since Waconda has a sprint option I might do that.

LZ in general I been told is a great course.  If I do not have to pick up my gf I will probably volunteer for it. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lake Zurich or Wauconda Triathlon Rss Feed