General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim questions - breathing Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-06-27 7:31 PM

Subject: Swim questions - breathing
I can get by in the pool and open water with either bilateral breathing or more frequent as needed. I've read that you should be exhaling and never holding your breath, and of course you take a calm breath say every third stroke for bilateral. My question is whether swim workouts build on your lung capacity, meaning if i continue to work on it I will get to the point where the same workout becomes easier. Right now i feel winded after each set, and spend much longer taking a break than the workout calls for.

Im taking lessons, stroke analysis, and it's going well but i was curious on this topic and wont get a chance to discuss with swim coach for a few weeks.

Thanks.

2012-06-27 7:50 PM
in reply to: #4283882

User image

Veteran
Fayetteville, AR
Subject: RE: Swim questions - breathing
yes, over time, the same workout will become easier...but at that point (and depending on where you are in your training plan), you want to increase your workout (i.e., make it harder, so that you don't feel like your workouts are easy).  Of course, you are going to have some sets in a workout that are easier than others, but to make the gains in the pool, you don't want it to be ALL easy.  keep pushing yourself!
2012-06-27 7:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
When I started swimming for tri, I would do 10 laps with all breathing on the right side.  As I got more endurance and increased aerobic capacity due to more strenuous exercise, I added 10 laps of left side breathing and 10 laps of bilateral breathing.  The bilateral breathing did take the wind out of me at first.  Now, it's all I due, bilateral breathing.  My typical swim workout now is 70 laps, all bilateral breathing.  Took me about 3 years to get to that.  Not that that may be what you're looking for in terms of length of workout.  Long story short, yes, your lungs get better at handling the bilateral breathing.  But it does take time.  I've never had a coach.  
2012-06-28 1:45 PM

User image

Ann Arbor

I suggest you stop trying to bilateral breathe. 

Just breathe on your left one direction, and on your right the other. Or just pick a side and stick with it. You'll get more air, and a better workout. 

2012-06-28 5:12 PM
in reply to: #4285254

User image

Veteran
Salt Lake City
xrodolfox - 2012-06-28 12:45 PM

Just breathe on your left one direction, and on your right the other. Or just pick a side and stick with it. You'll get more air, and a better workout. 

^^This.  Bilateral breathing doesn't necessarily mean right, left, right, left, etc.  Breathe as often as you need to, and if that's every right or every left that's ok, just switch sides every once in a while.  The point is being able to breathe on either side in case there's crashing waves or glaring sunshine on one side.

2012-06-28 8:06 PM
in reply to: #4285254

User image

Extreme Veteran
Strong Beach, CA
xrodolfox - 2012-06-28 1:45 PM

Agreed.   IMO bilateral breathing is highly overrated.  Sure it might come in handy on occasion, but in general just sticking to your natural side is far more effective.

2012-06-28 9:16 PM
in reply to: #4285869

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, USA
jackson61802 - 2012-06-28 8:06 PM

Agreed.   IMO bilateral breathing is highly overrated.  Sure it might come in handy on occasion, but in general just sticking to your natural side is far more effective.

Yes.

Not only is it over-rated, 99% of distance swimmers (well, 99% of the fast ones) don't do it while racing or while swimming fast in training. You can confirm this for yourself if you look at distance swim racing videos on youtube (there are 1000s of them).

Learn to breath on both sides--yes. Switch off from right to left or vice versa--yes.

But when you're swimming fast, you need to breath often--so that's every right arm stroke (or every left arm stroke).

2012-06-28 10:17 PM

User image

Master
Grand Prairie

Actually in one of the last triathlete magazine they suggest breaht left, right,left,break,right,left,right,break, etc...

Meaning youget even more air than right, break,right or left,break,left...

It seems to me as their is way to much movement though

2012-06-29 7:30 AM
in reply to: #4285987

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, USA
timf79 - 2012-06-28 10:17 PM

Actually in one of the last triathlete magazine they suggest breathe left, right,left,break,right,left,right,break, etc...

Something to remember about any swim advice you get from magazines, from BT, from ST, wherever: check for yourself to confirm it is correct (or not). It's easy enough to do via the powers of video on the internet.

Do elite or just plain fast distance (this is important, sprinters do quite different things) swimmers or fast-in-the-water triathletes do it? If yes, then you might be on to something. If no, well, you might need a new 'swim advisor' ...

2012-06-29 7:51 AM

User image

Veteran

Noonievut - 2012-06-27 8:31 PM I can get by in the pool and open water with either bilateral breathing or more frequent as needed. I've read that you should be exhaling and never holding your breath, and of course you take a calm breath say every third stroke for bilateral. My question is whether swim workouts build on your lung capacity, meaning if i continue to work on it I will get to the point where the same workout becomes easier. Right now i feel winded after each set, and spend much longer taking a break than the workout calls for. Im taking lessons, stroke analysis, and it's going well but i was curious on this topic and wont get a chance to discuss with swim coach for a few weeks. Thanks.

Yes, over time your swim workout should get easier.  Here is why: Your muscles that are being used during a swim workout will actually develop more capillary beds in them (greater blood supply=more energy).  Your lung capacity will not change (you have what you were born with), but you might not be using it to the fullest right away and the more you use them, the healthier they become, etc.  Your body is very lazy and will adapt to anything you put it through.  Just like an alcoholic develops a tolerance for alcohol, your body will adapt to swimming so that it becomes easier. 

2012-06-30 8:57 AM

User image

I consistently trained bilateral breathing in a pool, taking a breath every third stroke.  As I mentioned in another post, I really struggled catching my breath for the first couple hundred yards doing it that way.  Thanks to comments from forum readers and a helpful poolside coach I changed two things that have really helped.  1) I have gone from bilateral breathing every three strokes, to breathing four or five times on the right, and then four or rive times on the left.  This allows me to get more air so I don't feel like I'm drowning at the beginning of a swim or at the end--times when I tend to be pushing a little harder.  In the middle of a swim, once I am warmed up, relaxed, and going at an even pace, I sometimes slip into a three stroke bilateral breathing style--kind of like a steady cruise control.  But I find that I am actually faster taking a breath every stroke on one side or the other.  2) Making sure to exhale naturally when my face is in the water so that I don't have to exhale at all when I come up for a breath.  This allows me to take in more air.  What I found was that while I was indeed exhaling under water, I wasn't exhaling enough, so that when I turned my head for air, I had to take a further short exhale before inhaling. The other point about a good exhale under water is that you rid the body of CO2 which builds up in the blood if you don't properly exhale it from the body.  The result of this built up CO2 is the feeling of suffocation, exacerbated by the elevated heart rate of swimming fast.

Breathing one one side at a time, alternating sides every so often, and taking special note to naturally exhale under water did wonders for my swimming.

2012-06-30 10:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

Back in the day I was in a pool for at least 20+ hours a week.  From my experience the suggestions above about NOT needing to bilateral breathe all the time is spot on.  You should learn to breathe on both sides so you are comfotable with it but on any given day or any given set, do what feels best.

When you get to an OWS breathe on the side that gives you the best spotting position.  I would always prefer to be able to see the markers on any breath in rhythm.

2012-06-30 8:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
You know your lungs best.  Breathe whenever you need to.  Not how somebody else tells you to breathe.
2012-07-01 6:45 AM
in reply to: #4286216

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
DarkSpeedWorks - 2012-06-29 8:30 AM
timf79 - 2012-06-28 10:17 PM

Actually in one of the last triathlete magazine they suggest breathe left, right,left,break,right,left,right,break, etc...

Something to remember about any swim advice you get from magazines, from BT, from ST, wherever: check for yourself to confirm it is correct (or not). It's easy enough to do via the powers of video on the internet.

Do elite or just plain fast distance (this is important, sprinters do quite different things) swimmers or fast-in-the-water triathletes do it? If yes, then you might be on to something. If no, well, you might need a new 'swim advisor' ...

x2. I also agree with the advice above about not worrying about breathing every 3rd stroke. The value of bilateral breathing isn't in being able to breathe in a specific pattern, it's the ability to breathe on either side as required by the situation, and because getting good at it usually results in a more balanced stroke that allows you to swim straighter with less sighting and fewer course adjustments in open water.
2013-05-27 11:16 AM
in reply to: lifejustice

User image

All of this is great advice. These forums are a great source, especially the older threads where there are so many sources. I have been struggling with breathing while swimming - it worked fine until I really started thinking about it at which point I would get out of breath. "Just breathe when you need to" - music to my ears.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim questions - breathing Rss Feed