General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First group ride - WOAH alot of work ahead! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-06-27 8:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: First group ride - WOAH alot of work ahead!

Kinda venting....

Well went on my first group ride tonight and got my a$$ handed to me!  During a PT session yesterday my doc and I were talking about how I want to get faster on the bike and she suggests this group that rides each Wed night from a LBS.  She said there is an A and B group, so I called the shop this morning to get more info, the guy tells me its a good group of all different riders.  He said the A group is pretty fast and the B group(s) averages around 15-16 mph and usually breaks up into 2-3 groups throughout the ride.  So I feel pretty comfortable about the B group.  I get to the shop and there are some people showing up (total around 20 people)  and I notice that they all look to be pretty seasoned riders and all know each other - then there is me the ONLY one with aero bars and obviously the only tri person.  I decide to stick it out and take off with the group. After about a mile they are taking off over 20 mph up a pretty steady incline - which turns literally into a mountain.  So its me and 1 other person the group dusted and he loses me about 6 miles into the ride halfway up the mountain.  My legs are screaming and stop halfway up the mountain and decide to turn back.  Total ride about 12 miles and I feel more tired then I did on a pretty flat 41 mile ride last weekend.  I have ALOT of work ahead of me, but I found a new route that I am going to ride at least once a week (and make it up that DAMN mountain) in preparation of the Nations Tri this Sept.

2012-06-27 9:09 PM
in reply to: #4283967

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Subject: RE: First group ride - WOAH alot of work ahead!
No mountains in DC (other than the pile of BS at capitol hill).
2012-06-27 9:14 PM

User image

First of all, welcome to group riding.  It's tough at first, but keep trying.  It's the best and fastest way to get stronger.

But the next time you ride with the group (which is hopefully the next time they ride) you might want to ask them if it's a no drop ride and if there are regrouping spots.  Most groups get shredded on the hills...especially during weekday rides where people tend to go harder (compared to longer weekend rides).  But that usually means the group slows down or stops at the top of hills to group back together.  If that's the case, they may have been waiting for you.  So if it is a no drop ride, you always want to make sure you tell someone you're cutting off early so they know not to wait.

Go back on that ride and give it your best shot.

2012-06-27 9:32 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Those kinds of rides can be rough. Since 2004, it has happened more times to me than I can count.

I should add that after getting dropped MANY times, I started to keep up. Of course, I still get dropped on occasion, but when I'm in bike shape I usually don't.

Edited by KSH 2012-06-27 9:32 PM
2012-06-27 10:55 PM

User image

Master
Midlothian, VA

Here's how I view group rides....group start, individual finish!

I rarely keep up with everyone. 

2012-06-27 11:17 PM

User image

Regular
Westfield, IN
First, loose the aerobars. I am happy to drop anyone who uses aerobars on a group ride. They can be hazardous if you use them.

Second, it won't be the last time you get dropped. Keep going and you will improve a lot but there is almost always someone stronger. I haven't been dropped in months but I got my butt handed to me by a couple pros tonight. Definitely a good workout tho

2012-06-27 11:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Wilmington, NC

they were just chafing the wheat on the hills...this is pretty typical of group rides when you come to a hilly section...they usually all sit up and let everyone back on once they get over the top...also keep in mind a 15/16 mph average will have some 20 plus mph riding...my advice to you is stay near the front so your not yo-yoed so much on the back and don't pull...either slide off once the guy pulling clears you or ride in the middle of the pack...they won't mind just don't cause huge gaps when you file back into the pace line...sounds to me like you found a good group to ride with...riding with faster riders will make you faster...good luck

P.S. I ride in group rides all the time with aerobars...as long as your not in them there won't be an issue...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First group ride - WOAH alot of work ahead! Rss Feed