General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Post workout nutrition for late night workouts Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-06-27 9:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Post workout nutrition for late night workouts

So, I read somewhere that the later you eat, the more likely the food is going to turn into fat rather than actually going to replenish your carb stores.  Sometimes my schedule doesn't let me workout till real late, like 9ish or 10ish.  Last night, I did an hour long run ending at 10:15pm.  Not wanting to just go to bed without having something to eat, I downed two whole wheat ciabatta rolls and a glass of Muscle Milk.  Didn't want to eat something big but didn't want to not eat anything.

These late runs have been happening more often than not lately, so I'm not wanting to skimp on my post workout nutrition.   When my run would end by 7pm, I wasn't so concerned about eating since it fell in that magic window of carb store replenishment right after workouts and wasn't too late.  But when the workout ends real late like after 10pm, is it better to just forego eating something and wait till breakfast the next day?  

2012-06-27 9:54 PM
in reply to: #4284029

Veteran
Subject: RE: Post workout nutrition for late night workouts
Even if you were doing intervals seems like a lot o f calories for a 1hr workout. I often did my workouts at that time but since I ate abut 1 1/2 hr before I would not need much after if anything at all. I would only eat something if I did intervals, otherwise I did not feel the need. Not sure if this was good either but I was also trying to keep weight down and did not want to sleep on full stomach
2012-06-27 11:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Herriman, Utah
I have the exact same question and was going to post it just now. I'm interested in the responses. I have just been having some whey protein right after.
2012-06-28 6:29 AM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire

From what I have heard and read at multiple nutrition forums, and done myself, is that a good late night snack/meal (if you figure you have x meals and count this as one) is low fat or fat free cottage cheese with dry almonds (as in not honey roasted, salted, etc).  Cottage cheese is a super food, it has casein protein which is slow releasing and can keep your metabolism active for several hours after you eat it.  Also, the stats on FF CC read like this for 1/2 C:  70-100 Cal, 0 Cal from fat, 0 saturated fat, 5g Carb and 14g Protein.  The almonds also have healthy fats that slowly digest and keep your body from going into starvation mode which you are sleeping.

If you're ending your intense workout at 10pm, I would think maybe a light protein shake with milk (which also has casein protein) and then if your stomach can handle the CC and almonds about 20-30 minutes after that.

2012-06-29 9:23 AM

I alwyas eat a little something (think yogurt, handful of nuts) after a late night workout.  Otherwise I end up waking up in the night starving. 
2012-06-29 9:49 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Two bowls of raisin bran or cinnamon life. This gives some carbs, some fluids and a little protein from the milk.

I often finish my training at around 11 pm and I am so hungry after my workouts I could never sleep. Without some calories I would just sit there and think about my stomach.
Someone once told me that you literally could not get fat eating breakfast cereal. I have been trying, unsuccessfully, to prove them wrong for years.

Food eaten late at night is no more likely to turn in to fat than food eaten any other time. Calories in excess of your daily needs are likely to turn in to fat no matter when they are eaten.

2012-06-29 10:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eden Prairie, MN, Minnesota

I go with the magic elixer:  Chocolate Milk.   It has a 4:1 carb to protein ratio, makes my tummy feel full and helps me get to sleep more quickly.

2012-06-29 10:00 AM

User image

Master
Salt Lake City

I have no idea if its the best plan or not, but in that situatuion I find myself having a whey protein shake made with milk. It takes literally 30 seconds to make and seems to give me enough to keep me from getting hungry until breakfast.

2012-06-29 10:02 AM

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ

1) That's a lot of calories right before bed.

2) I would eat as little as possible unless you are losing too much weight or have problems sleeping.

The studies regarding post-workout recovery and nutrition are usually done on elite athletes doing very hard and long workouts. If you don't fall into this group, I would use some caution when trying to match up with what the studies recommend.

You could probably get away with a small snack after your workout and it won't have a negative effect on your recovery. The muscle milk has a good deal of protein and is a good option if you can stomach it. You may not even need anything after your recovery depending on time and intensity. Are you eating anything beforehand? If so, that is also being digested after your workout. You may not want to take anything in if that is the case.

Then again, if you're looking for an excuse to eat ice cream, more power to you. I would never use logic and facts to stand in the way of ice cream!

2012-06-29 10:02 AM
in reply to: #4284229

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
jonD81 - 2012-06-28 4:29 AM

From what I have heard and read at multiple nutrition forums, and done myself, is that a good late night snack/meal (if you figure you have x meals and count this as one) is low fat or fat free cottage cheese with dry almonds (as in not honey roasted, salted, etc).  Cottage cheese is a super food, it has casein protein which is slow releasing and can keep your metabolism active for several hours after you eat it.  Also, the stats on FF CC read like this for 1/2 C:  70-100 Cal, 0 Cal from fat, 0 saturated fat, 5g Carb and 14g Protein.  The almonds also have healthy fats that slowly digest and keep your body from going into starvation mode which you are sleeping.

If you're ending your intense workout at 10pm, I would think maybe a light protein shake with milk (which also has casein protein) and then if your stomach can handle the CC and almonds about 20-30 minutes after that.

Not to hijack the thread, but I absolutely despise the term "super food"  It means nothing, has no actual criteria, and seems like a term hack writers and marketing people throw around when they want to convince you to eat something.

2012-06-29 10:03 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church, VA

just curious if any of you have seen any proof that eating late means the food is more likely to be converted to fat? 

Your body will not store fat if it has a higher priority need (i.e. replenish glycogen stores, fuel necessary functions).  When those needs have been met, then you will store excess energy as fat.

As long as energy in = energy out you will not gain fat, no matter when you eat.  The reason not eating after xx hour at night works is people eat less.

Most of your repair/regeneration systems work best when you sleep, so going to be on an empty stomach means you aren't setting yourself up for optimal recovery.

2012-06-29 10:31 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Focus on getting a good balance of proteins, fats and some carbs. Carbs are by far the easiest for the body to break down (especially simple carbs), so you may want to consider keeping that a bit light right before bed time. Concentrate on getting the majority of the carbs early in the day.
2012-06-29 11:07 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Eat food.  Not too much.  Go to bed.
2012-06-29 11:20 AM
in reply to: #4286592

Extreme Veteran
NE Ohio
Bioteknik - 2012-06-29 11:03 AM

just curious if any of you have seen any proof that eating late means the food is more likely to be converted to fat? 

Your body will not store fat if it has a higher priority need (i.e. replenish glycogen stores, fuel necessary functions).  When those needs have been met, then you will store excess energy as fat.

As long as energy in = energy out you will not gain fat, no matter when you eat.  The reason not eating after xx hour at night works is people eat less.

Most of your repair/regeneration systems work best when you sleep, so going to be on an empty stomach means you aren't setting yourself up for optimal recovery.

good point ^. Depends what type of nutrition program you have, what your weight goals are, what your workout was and if you are working out in the AM, and frankly how your body reacts to certain food. I try no to have late night workouts too much, but i ALWAYS have a snack before bed and it doesn't effect me as i am a frequent eater.

last night i had to do a 1:15 run at 9:00pm. It was 95 degrees. When i got home i was very hungry and thirsty. I had a glass of Accelrade and a muscle milk for recovery. Maybe too much protein, but i like it. I also had an apple, and a piece of toast with nutella and peanut butter on it. I am not trying to keep weight down though and i can sleep just fine when i eat.

2012-06-29 2:23 PM

User image

If I don't get enough back in me after a later night workout, I dream about bacon at which point my growling tummy wakes me up!

I eat some watermelon and a bowl cereal with almond milk.

2012-06-29 2:35 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
After an hour workout I am not sure you really need much. Even on my hardest late night runs (3+ hours) I found a bowl of cereal and a banana to be plenty to settle my stomach and get to sleep.

If you are concerned about your waistline then don't eat unless you are hungry. It is quite possible you would not be hungry after an hour run, unless it is was a tempo run. If you aren't concerned about your waistline I think a glass of milk and a banana would do it.

2012-06-29 2:37 PM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
There has never been any real evidence that I could ever find to support the notion that eating before bed is any different than eating 3-4 hours before bed.  Eat would you would normally eat after that type of workout.  Give yourself an additional half hour after you eat before hitting the sack just to avoid indigestion.
2012-06-29 2:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

When I do my night training, whether it is on the trainer or at the gym,  I have a Strawberry/Banana protein shake and an Advocare Nighttime Recovery supplement. 

2012-06-29 3:40 PM
in reply to: #4286590

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
JZig - 2012-06-29 11:02 AM

Not to hijack the thread, but I absolutely despise the term "super food"  It means nothing, has no actual criteria, and seems like a term hack writers and marketing people throw around when they want to convince you to eat something.

I was just stating that cottage cheese has a lot of benefits especially in terms of slow digesting protein and low calories per serving.  Sorry for offending anyone with my superlatives.

2012-06-29 4:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Salt Lake City
I often train late like that, too.  I eat a light dinner and wait at least an hour after eating before training.  Then after the run (or whatever) I will have a glass of chocolate milk, and if I'm feeling really hungry will have two pieces of toast with butter and cinnamon/sugar.  Yummy. 
2012-06-29 4:39 PM
in reply to: #4287466

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
jonD81 - 2012-06-29 1:40 PM
JZig - 2012-06-29 11:02 AM

I was just stating that cottage cheese has a lot of benefits especially in terms of slow digesting protein and low calories per serving.  Sorry for offending anyone with my superlatives.

I didn't mean anything against you, or the advice you gave.  I happen to agree that Cottage Cheese is really good for you, I just don't like the term.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Post workout nutrition for late night workouts Rss Feed