World Triathlon Corporation
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 12h 05m 55s
Overall Rank = 601/2309
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 100/242
Pre-race routine:

We drove up from Portland, Oregon on Wed afternoon. A buddy of mine was able to get us hooked up with a house to stay in only a mile from the race start. I got in the water on Thursday and Friday. The very first swim had me a a little nervous but I am really glad that I did it because it allowed me to see that after 5 or ten minutes once your face went numb it wasnt to bad. I got all checked in on Thursday morning as well and since this was my first Ironman I spent quite a bit of time at the expo trying to take it all in. Friday night we went to the Pre Race dinner and I am glad we did. I actually got to go up on stage as part of the Ironman "biggest loser" I had lost 85 pounds over the last 18 months in preparation for my Ironman. Saturday morning I went for a short 3 mile run and a 15 mile bike just to loosen up my legs a little and then got my bike and transition bags all checked in. I had a hard time sleeping Saturday night but think I still ended up getting about 6 hours or so.
Event warmup:

Was up at 4:00 choked down some oatmeal and a banana and then it was off to the start. Did my last minute checks on my bike and transition bags kissed my wife goodbye and got into my wetsuit.
Swim
  • 1h 38m 58s
  • 4224 yards
  • 02m 20s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started myself over to the way right side a few rows back. I think this was a good decision because I really didnt have to bad of contact until the first buoy. I was hoping for a swim somewhere between 1:20-1:30 so I felt like I was on track with my first lap time. When I got back in for the second lap though the wind had started to pick up a fair amount and the water became really choppy. I had never swam in chop like that before and it really through off my stroke. When I rounded the far buoy for the second lap the Sheriffs boat was right there pulling people out of the water. It was right where I was supposed to swim through so I had to take a minute to wait for it to leave which made some more big waves sending me off track. I had made eye contact with a couple of the people in the boat and they were white as ghosts and looked just terrified. I told myself there was not a chance in the world that I was getting in that boat. The rest of my swim went without incident it was just really choppy. Coming out of the water I was disappointed with my time but happy to be out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

I am going to spend this winter swimming a lot and I am also going to take some lessons. I know that the fitness is there I just need to get some sort of real stroke down.
Transition 1
  • 07m 26s
Comments:

My hands were numb and I could not feel my string to get the suit down. Luckily I found a wetsuit stripper right away and they had me out of that thing in no time flat. They should have these people at every race :) I found my bag and headed for the tent but it was super full so I just plopped myself down in the grass. I felt very disorganized through the whole process. I probably should have practiced a transition from a bag at least once before this. I finished getting dressed put on a bike jersey over my kit and my arm warmers and off I went. I had to pee pretty bad and thought there was a porta potty on the far side but there wasnt.

Become more organized this time could have been way faster. Know where the porta potties are and use it before leaving transition.
Bike
  • 6h 12m 59s
  • 112 miles
  • 18.02 mile/hr
Comments:

I think overall I had a good ride considering where I am at fitness wise. My goal was 170-180 for power so I was right in that range. I did back it off a little the second lap just because I started getting nervous about the run. We had a pretty constant head wind the whole way out of town and a nice tail wind coming back in. I didn't need the arm warmers or the bike jersey at all. The arm warmers came off after about 5 miles and I just had to tolerate the jersey because there was no place I could put it. I passed a little over 900 people during the bike which is what happens when you swim as poorly as I did. I still have not been able to get myself to pee while on the bike and I ended up having three stops that took almost 10 minutes of time to empty my bladder.

More long rides and more volume for sure. I got a head cold during my last few weeks of training and it made me miss a couple of rides. Learn to freaking pee ;)
Transition 2
  • 05m 12s
Comments:

I really like the bike catchers it was nice to be done with the bike. My legs were feeling pretty good I was just ready to start running. I changed in the tent this time. Again I felt a little disorganized I almost ran out of transition with my bike jersey still on. Did a pee break got sun screened up and off I went.

move with a little bit more purpose.
Run
  • 4h 01m 20s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

I really enjoyed the run. I was a bit nervous going in and my plan was to take it at about a 9 minute mile pace for the first 20 miles and then if I still felt good pick it up at the end. I ended up feeling great basically the whole run and for the last 6 mile was able to pick it up quite a bit negative splitting my run by about 3 minutes. Every time I saw my wife and the rest of my family I made sure I high fived them and game my wife a kiss. I really tried to take in the whole experience.

I can definately run faster then what I did. I didnt want to end up bonking and walking in the last half of the race so I took it fairly easy on the run. Next time I will push it a lot more for sure.
Post race
Warm down:

I really took in the whole shoot experience. Giving high fives and just being in awe that I really just did it. I found my family shortly after I finished and chatted with them for a while. I then went and ate a little bit of fruit but they really didnt have anything else that I could eat since I am Vegan so I went and sat down in the grass with my family. I went back and showered and then went to mile 24 to cheer for a buddy that was still on course. Once he passed by we went to the finish and cheered for the people in the last hour. That really was an awesome experience to see the last hour of people coming in.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I have realized that my body can definitely handle more training hours then what I put in. I also need to work on dropping the last 15 pounds or so to get me to a real comfortable race weight. All and all I was totally thrilled with my very first Ironman and cant wait to do my next one. I really enjoy these longer distance events.

Event comments:

I really enjoyed the race CdA puts on an amazing event and the volunteers were top notch. I will definitely be back again probably not in 2013 but again for sure.

Last updated: 2012-06-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:38:58 | 4224 yards | 02m 20s / 100yards
Age Group: 235/242
Overall: 1961/2309
Performance: Below average
Lap one: 43:39 Lap two: 55:19
Suit: Full Sleeve TYR
Course: two lap triangular
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 58F / 14C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 07:26
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:12:59 | 112 miles | 18.02 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/242
Overall: 0/2309
Performance: Good
Moving time was 6 hours 4 minutes Average heart rate 151 Max heart rate 170 Average Power 172 first lap 3:05 Second lap 3:08
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: two lap course with 5200 feet of total climbing. The climbs were all long steady climbs.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 05:12
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:01:20 | 26.2 miles | 09m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/242
Overall: 0/2309
Performance: Good
Average heart rate:154
Course: two loop out and back course with 800 feet of total climbing.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-06-28 5:55 PM

User image

Subject: Ironman Coeur d'Alene

2012-06-28 7:23 PM
in reply to: #4285762

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, TX
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene
Great job on your first IM!!! That swim WAS really rough, glad you made it through.
2012-06-28 8:16 PM

User image

Expert
Western WI
Great, great work!  Not just on a fantastic race, but on all the hard work you put in to get there!!!  You're an Ironman, my friend!!  Way to go!!
2012-06-28 10:12 PM

User image

Veteran
WA
Great job!!!!
2012-06-29 9:12 AM

Veteran
nice job on the health, weight loss and race!
2012-06-29 11:01 AM

User image

Master
Awesome race!! Congratulations, Ironman!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Coeur d'Alene Rss Feed