General Discussion Race Reports! » Silicon Valley International Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Silicon Valley International Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
San Jose, California
United States
USA Productions LLC.
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 56m 34s
Overall Rank = 244/445
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 43/59
Pre-race routine:

not much of a routine... breakfast = vegemite bagel, banana, Cytomax and coffee. drive over, catch the bus to Uvas, set up, Gatorade and GU gel prior to start. get in the water a couple of waves before my start, swim a little. should do a little run and stretch, but it never really works out that way.
Event warmup:

swam a little to warm up - should have warmed up more... really just get used to the water, which was a little warm.
Swim
  • 39m 1s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

nice course. lake water, so a little murky from the traffic, but water was clean and deep. no real problems. this is a nice lake to swim in.
Water was fairly warm, so I definitely felt hot in my wetsuit - so took a couple of scoops of water down the front to cool off. Might need to try a long john suit rather than a full.
What would you do differently?:

This was a slow swim, surprisingly. I think I really need to develop some technique in my swim as I know I can swim faster.
Transition 1
  • 02m 44s
Comments:

Was fairly straightforward. Had to stuff wetsuit and towel into the transition bag for them to take to the finish, so this added a few seconds to the time

not a lot. was ok transition.
Bike
  • 1h 19m 7s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.85 mile/hr
Comments:

rode this well I thought. was first race on my tri-bike which I enjoyed a lot, although didnt get as much time in aero as I might have liked... mainly due to lack of practice and discomfort on the saddle - have to get an Adamo seat I think. Other obvious issue I had was with a gear change on a sharp uphill about 2/3 through the course I somehow caught my chain on the chainring and had to stop to free the chain. lost a minute or two there, then had to get momentum again heading uphill. otherwise thought the bike went well. stayed hydrated and had my endurolytes which helped I think

practice shifting more. get my bike checked out - although it is new it probably needs a post-wear-in tune up.
Transition 2
  • 01m 35s
Comments:

Had to open transition bag and this cost a few seconds. also used regular laces instead of Yankz which also cost a precious few seconds

perhaps lay out the gear the night before... taking the time to do this might have saved 20 seconds... also need to use my Yankz again
Run
  • 54m 7s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

Wasnt too hot - probably reached high 60s. was good for not overheating. waslked a few stretches in the 2nd half, but still managed to keep solid average pace

more training... didnt get enough running in in weeks prior due to IT band tenderness and pains on longer runs... stretching and hydration more during training
Post race
Warm down:

had water, fruit, half a burrito and some muscle milk. hung out a bit then headed home quickly to spend the day with the family.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

wasn't great about training in the weeks prior, mainly due to a lot of work.

Event comments:

Was a great race. My last races with USA Productions were in 2012 and were good events, but the medals and t-shirts were noticeably poor. This year it was great to receive tech-T shirts and custom medals... nice touch. Overall a well organized, fun race on excellent course with a lot of support. They did a good job communicating and accommodating the swim venue change and point-to-point race once Almaden lake wasn't a viable location for the swim. Well done!!

Last updated: 2012-06-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:01 | 1640 yards | 02m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 50/59
Overall: 367/445
Performance: Below average
Suit: orca sonar
Course: course was out and around a peninsula, turning left at buoys, with a return and run up a boat ramp into transition.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:44
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:19:07 | 24.85 miles | 18.85 mile/hr
Age Group: 26/59
Overall: 159/445
Wind: Headwind
Course: was undulating course with 500 feet of climbing and a net downhill of 300 feet from what I was told. good picturesque course. There was one very tight corner at the foot of a downhill about 5 miles that was tricky - but well broadcast beforehand and well attended by CHP and volunteers to warn us. Overall was a northerly headwind that was felt particularly in the second half of the ride.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:35
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:54:07 | 06.21 miles | 08m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 46/59
Overall: 271/445
Course: nice trail run with some slight undulation. shady at the start, but not towards the end when it was hotter.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %0
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-06-29 12:54 AM

User image

New user

Silicon Valley
Subject: Silicon Valley International Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Silicon Valley International Triathlon Rss Feed