Lake Mills Triathlon
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 14m 41s
Overall Rank = 99/669
Age Group = Male 20-24
Age Group Rank = 8/26
Pre-race routine:

We spent the night at Hebron Campground. Excellent campground. Nobody was there are it was really quiet. It got cold during the night, but we brought with enough clothes to stay a little warm. We got up at 5:15, dressed, ate a Clif Bar and banana and headed out. We left a little later than I would have liked and, as a result, arrived later. Everthing turned out okay though.
Event warmup:

Swimming in the swimming area to the buoy rope and back. Maybe 10 times or so. The air was really cold and it was hard to stay warm. My arms and legs were shivering really badly and I thought I was going to have problems with cramps during the swim. No problems though.
Swim
  • 11h 15m
  • 402 meters
  • 2h 47m 46s / 100 meters
Comments:

The lake was pretty calm. I definetely need to work on OWSs. Im not very confident in them, nor in my swimming ability, but I can work on that. At the start of my wave, I let most of the people start swimming while I hung back and picked a spot to swim. I eventually found a good place to swim and started out. The first 150m or so, I was pretty worked up and trying to calm myself down. Once I made it out to the first buoy and turned, it was open enough to where I could just keep my head down and swim. I only spotted once every 20 strokes or so after the first buoy.
What would you do differently?:

Work on my OWSs. I think I just need more time out there. Work on sighting also.
Transition 1
  • 01m 45s
Comments:

I thought my T1 time was a little high, but the clock doenst lie right? I guess it just went by that quick. Everything went pretty smoothly in the transition area, although I had a little trouble finding my bike.

Arrive earlier to get a better spot in the transition area.
Bike
  • 40m 5s
  • 15 miles
  • 22.45 mile/hr
Comments:

In my AG, I was the third one in, time-wise. My HR was pretty high the whole time, but I wasnt suffering, sucking air or anything like that. There is a hill right away on the start of the ride. Once we got out on the roads a little bit, me and this other guy in my AG kept passing each other. Eventually, he dropped back and drafted most of the rest of the way. There was a lot of that going on. I saw some decent size groups all drafting each other. People were all over the road too. At one point, I ended up drafting some guy for about 100 feet because I couldnt pass. But as soon as it was open, I got around him. I was passing people left and right. It was a blast! It felt like some of those people werent even moving. Along the way another guy started to draft off of me and the other guy. They ended up coming in just before me, but I was able to dismount before them and get into the transition area before them.

I was a little afraid off dying on the run since this was one of the faster ride that I had with a run after. Ive never ran after a ride like this. And because of that, I held back a tiny bit. I need to train more with sprint rides like this so I know my limits.
Transition 2
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

The area before the transition area was downhill, and I didnt want to risk taking off my shoes while speeding up or braking with one hand. I hoped off my bike while it was moving, ran to my area, fumbled with racking the bike a it, took my shoes off, sat down to put my socks and shoes on, took my helmet off and took off.

Take shoes off while moving and ride with feet on top. Stand while putting socks and shoes on. Not forget my number belt.
Run
  • 19m 58s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

The run course was excellent. I loved it. I started to get a sideache at mi 1.5, but was able to keep it from progressing. The trail was only maybe 3-4 feet wide, so at times it was a little hard to pass people. I passed a ton of people on teh run also. My legs felt awesome and looking back I maybe couldve went a little faster. They started working fully after a .5 mi or so and after that it was easy runnin'!

Do more bricks with fast bike rides. Push myself a little more.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much. I stretched for maybe a minute, drank my Recoverite drink, ate park of my burrito and 1/2 banana. Amy took some "after" pics of me and after that we walked around and talked with some people.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Definetely the swim. I really need to improve on that. There is also room to improve on my transitions.

Event comments:

Very well put together race. The race director(s) really knew what they were doing. There could have been some people on the bike watching for drafting and stuff, but whatever. Everyone had a good time and it was an excellent race. Im definetely going to make this one a yearly race.

Last updated: 2006-06-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
11:15:00 | 402 meters | 2h 47m 46s / 100meters
Age Group: 16/26
Overall: 0/669
Performance: Average
Avg HR: 144, Max HR: 153
Suit: Tri shorts and tri top.
Course: Counter-clockwise loops with two big yellow buoys.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:45
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:40:05 | 15 miles | 22.45 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/26
Performance:
Avg HR: 154; Max HR: 161; Avg Speed: 22.4; Max Speed: 31.7; Avg Cadence: 97; Max Cadence: 116
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back on my country roads. Some roads needed some work, but not potholes or anything like that. Rolling hills with one hill that I got out of the saddle for. Pretty fast course though.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 97
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:40
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:19:58 | 03.11 miles | 06m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/26
Performance: Good
Avg HR: 161; Max HR: 169.
Course: Out and back on packed pebble trail. Very nice, quick and easy running.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-06-05 7:44 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Lake Mills Triathlon

2006-06-05 8:01 PM
in reply to: #444160

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL
Subject: RE: Lake Mills Triathlon

For your first Tri, the bike and run pace are impressive.  Way to get through the OWS.  Usually rough (mentally) the first time out.

CONGRATS!!

2006-06-07 12:55 PM
in reply to: #444160

User image

Milwaukee, WI
Subject: RE: Lake Mills Triathlon

Damn man, i didn't realize you were younger than me.  HA!  Nice job, you certainly worked for it!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Mills Triathlon Rss Feed