Playtri
88F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 27m 9s
Overall Rank = 54/143
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 9/15
Pre-race routine:

Arrived at the race 10 minutes after transitioned open. I picked a spot at end of the rack, inside the aisle, two rows from the bike exit; tire-down toward the bike exit.
Event warmup:

I missed the swim warm up. I walked a few laps along the trail between the lake and transition. I started to stretch 20 minutes before the race started.
Swim
  • 15m 27s
  • 700 meters
  • 02m 13s / 100 meters
Comments:

The first turn was in about 2.5 feet of water. My hands were touching the bottom as I completed my stroke. As I turned, I had to stand up and run as convenience. I managed to swim the first ~350 meters freestyle before having to stop for a moment to catch my breath. I swam backstroke for ~ 25 yards. After catching my breath, I was able to swim the rest of the course freestyle, slowing down on occasion to focus on my breathing. Overall, the swim was better than my first race.
What would you do differently?:

Spend more time focusing on my breathing and stroke in order to endure the longer swims in the future. I need not focus on speed at this time.
Transition 1
  • 01m 39s
Comments:

The run from the swim exit to transition was harsh on the bottom of my feet. The trail has small pebbles. I removed my cap and goggles as I ran to my spot. I dropped them and picked up my helmet and glasses. I stepped into my cleats, foregoing the socks. I ran to the mount line and hopped on my bike. I didn't have any problems getting on the bike.

Shake and wipe the small pebble from my foot before stepping into the cleats. This caused me some pain initially as I was riding my bike.
Bike
  • 42m 19s
  • 13 miles
  • 18.43 mile/hr
Comments:

The first loop was challenging as my hamstrings and gluts were tight. It took about 2 miles for them to loosen up. Gear shifting was great both up and down hill. Average speed going uphill was 12 mph. Average speed going down hill was 28 mph. Max speed was 24 mph.

Nothing at this time. Practice on getting faster and sprinting uphill.
Transition 2
  • 01m 2s
Comments:

Again, I slipped into my shoes barefoot as I took off my helmet. As I bent down to finish slipping into my shoes, I picked up my race belt and hat. Bike was racked in the opposite direction from when I exited transition from T1.

Wear socks of find a lubricant to reduce friction. I had a few blisters after the run.
Run
  • 26m 40s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

Just before the 1 mile mark I began to cramp. Had to stop a few times during the run to let the pain subside. Without the cramps, my run would have been better I think. I bought new shoes two weeks ago, Asic Gel Cumulus. The run was more comfortable than the shoes I wore during my last race, which were intended for off-road courses.

Better nutrition to prevent cramps
Post race
Warm down:

Banana, water, powerade, granola bar. I stretched for 15 minutes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My best segment was the bike, with swim and run coming in second and third respectively. I need to focus on my nutrition and the effort I put into my ride. I worked hard to get up the hill without losing momentum. I think I may have worked harder than I was physically able to, resulting in cramps during the run.

Event comments:

More volunteers would be helpful for the event. I was not too fond of the turn around within the first 50 meters of the course. It definitely kills the momentum. For my second race, it was a good benchmark. I volunteered for the Playtri Festival in June, so I got a discount on my race entry. If it was not for the discount, I do not think the event was a good value. For a beginner, this course provides a good challenge and highlights areas for improvements.

Last updated: 2012-06-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:27 | 700 meters | 02m 13s / 100meters
Age Group: 12/15
Overall: 70/143
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri shorts and shirt
Course: Course was somewhat rectangular, marked by three orange buoys for turns and a yellow for spotting. Swim start was in about 5 feet of water. The first turn was in about 2.5 feet of water.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:39
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:42:19 | 13 miles | 18.43 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/15
Overall: 39/143
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Two loops 6.5 miles each loop. I was not too fond of the u-turn at the start of the ride. The turn was tight. The course was flat for a majority of the ride with a slight grade. There was one "big" hill.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:02
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:40 | 03.11 miles | 08m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/15
Overall: 73/143
Performance: Average
Course: Course was an out-and-back. Flat for 90% of the race. There was a slight grade, but nothing noticeable. No shade. Drink stations every mile.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No