Optum Health Performance
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 17m 13s
Overall Rank = 44/320
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 1/21
Pre-race routine:

Transition closed at 7:15 We woke up at 4:15, I made myself two eggs, toast and had a cup of coffee. After eating I took a Bathroom break and then changed into my race clothes. The car was all packed the night before so we grabbed our things and were out the door by 5:10. We hit the parking lot as there were probably 10 parking spots left in nearest lot. Got in at perfect time - a little before the largest group showed up at 6:30
Event warmup:

We went immediately to transition and set up our areas. We went and got our chips and went back and chatted until transition closed. We hit the satellites one more time and then went to listen to the Race meeting. After the Elites went out we went into the water and swam around 150 yards. We got out of the water, stretched and watched the elites leave on the bike leg. We went back out into the water to stay cool until our waves went off
Swim
  • 13m 45s
  • 800 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

overall rank is gender rank
Dolphin dove a few times until it felt like I could swim and then started with a smooth easy stroke - never felt like I was thrashing. With one short exception I sighted really well. The wave was pretty calm and never had much interference - I tried to draft for a while but I kept overtaking people. Felt strong the entire swim
What would you do differently?:

Nothing - I was using this as a learning experience for my Oly so I was trying to stay within myself and I did that well. I had a really good feel for the water today.
Transition 1
  • 02m 46s
Comments:

It was T1 - it was a long way from the water to the transition area. found my bike right away and felt like I moved through my stuff with minimal problems - The timing chip was big and made getting the suit off difficult. moving with the bike down the long transition area felt a little awkward but I passed several guys that didn't have shoes on and were moving gingerly on the asphalt. Mounting wasn't great but I didn't get passed.

just keep working on my system. Goal will be to jump on the bike next year.
Bike
  • 36m 58s
  • 13 miles
  • 21.10 mile/hr
Comments:

Trying to find a comfortable pace on the bike today, again approaching this as a learning experience for the Oly - I think I could make this work on a longer course. I found myself going at too low a cadence a couple times but depending on the hill I either pounded on it or dropped a couple gears

This ride really met my goals - legs felt good the entire time and I was able to run off the bike without difficulty.
Transition 2
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

Good T2 - not great - wasn't moving too quickly but I didn't feel like I was making mistakes.

I forgot to take my second gel
Run
  • 22m 24s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

Very warm run - rather than push the pace at the start and flame out I decided to settle into my rhythm and just go with it. While I can't say it was fun exactly, it was nice talking to some of the elites (as they passed me) and getting cheers from the homeowners along the way.
Post race
Warm down:

It was so warm there wasn't much need for a warm down - took it easy and had a swim before getting some food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My own race strategy

Event comments:

The course is very fast - the lake is nice - All very safe and well organised. Definitely would recommend this race to anyone looking for a fun Tri - I enjoyed the course and the the other competitors were great. It was a lot less mentally challenging than Buffalo due to the course being much less crowded. Post race - lots of happy people and shady areas to relax. Food was only OK although I had heard great things about the breakfast burritos I can't say I enjoyed them - pretty gooey and not much flavor. We were saved by Kevin O'Connor's hot dogs.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-01-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:45 | 800 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/21
Overall: 40/320
Performance: Good
Suit: Profile design Bionic 2
Course: The lake bottom at Lake George is a very gradual slope - you could easily stand a hundred yards from shore - I had tried to swim 20 yards from shore but it was just too shallow.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:46
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:36:58 | 13 miles | 21.10 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/21
Overall: 29/320
22.1 20.9 20.5
Wind: Little
Course: This close is very flat with only slight rollers. Most of the road has good shoulders and decent pavement. lots of cracks that had been recently filled.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 84
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:22
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:22:24 | 03 miles | 07m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/21
Overall: 32/320
7:25 7:27 7:34
Course: Course is primarily an out and back starting on a paved park trail and continuing on a country road around the lake. Intermittent shade - but a lot of sun. On the return you switch to a different paved trail which avoids cramped run lanes but you need to cut across the people just starting their run.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes