General Discussion Race Reports! » 6e ROC Friese Poort Triathlon Friesland Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

6e ROC Friese Poort Triathlon Friesland - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Stiens, Friesland
Netherlands
Sportvereniging Friesland
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 13m 46s
Overall Rank = 36/136
Age Group = M20-29
Age Group Rank = 9/16
Pre-race routine:

Race started at noon so nothing special really food-wise. Had a normal breakfast. Took the train to Leeuwarden and biked the 7k to Stiens.
Event warmup:

Aside from the 7km bike ride with headwind I treaded water to get the blood flowing in the water, and took a couple of short strokes.
Swim
  • 11m 42s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 20s / 100 meters
Comments:

Narrow swim so pretty much a bottleneck all the way. I'm getting a lot more comfortable in the water but still not good enough to do freestyle all the way. I did a mixture of normal freestyle, waterpolo freestyle and breaststroke. Therefore no problems with sighting or navigation :p It didn't really feel like racing, just surviving really.
What would you do differently?:

Practice more
Transition 1
  • 02m 18s
Comments:

Swim was moved so that added a 300m run to our T1. Still happy with the time. No wetsuit, but also no tri shoes so running with bike shoes was not the best thing.

Buy tri shoes!
Bike
  • 35m 40s
  • 21.2 kms
  • 35.66 km/hr
Comments:

I went out pretty hard, especially since the first part of the loop was with a tailwind. I passed a lot of people because I was slow in the swim of course. I would just focus on people in front of me and on the turns. The headwind sections were tough but I think that's where I gained the most overall. At a certain point I was locking onto this guy on a full carbon tt bike and disc wheel n everything, I just had to pass him, and at the start of the second lap finally I did. He came back on my tail though as we neared the end of the lap and I could see he was drafting off of me so I swirved to the left to let him know I was having none of that. I think he backed off after that or maybe he was suffering too much. I don't know and I don't care, I was glad that he didn't pass me on the run because I would have given him a piece of my mind (if I would've been able to talk).

I think I could have gone out a little harder even, although I was redlining it pretty bad already. I was suffering on the run anyway so then might as well pull out all the stops.
Transition 2
  • 00m 50s
Comments:

Got out of my shoes a bit too quickly, so had to ride my bike with feet on top of shoes a bit too long, and didnt really do the flying dismount but rather the, stop, get off, and continue running, dismount.

Pay more attention in the first lap to get an idea on where to get my feet out of shoes. Practice dismount. Still, I was happy with 50 seconds.
Run
  • 23m 11s
  • 5.3 kms
  • 04m 22s  min/km
Comments:

I started out quite fast and it felt really bad. I calmed down a bit and I think it took me about a mile or so to get to a comfortable pace, only the pace was not really as fast as I would have wanted it to be. I was able to pick off a few other runners, and was passed by the eventual winner and the guy who finished just in front of me. He was a good goal to hold onto as he passed me with about 2km to go.

Practice more short distance intensive stuff (without getting injured).
Post race
Warm down:

Drank some sports stuff n orange parts. Talked to some of the other competitors and cheered some people I knew that still had to finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training of the swim especially.

Event comments:

It was my first triathlon so I'm happy I placed on the top quarter. I was secretly hoping for top 20 overall but my swim just was not competitive enough. Lots of room for improvement in all areas but probably will focus on the swim and run (and biking).

Last updated: 2012-06-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:42 | 500 meters | 02m 20s / 100meters
Age Group: 10/16
Overall: 65/136
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course: Out and back with a couple of bends in the local water behind the houses. Very narrow and thus always crowded.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:18
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:35:40 | 21.2 kms | 35.66 km/hr
Age Group: 5/16
Overall: 23/136
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong
Course: Two laps around the country side, completely flat. Strong winds which gave about a 43kmh to 31kmh speedswing depending on the direction
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:50
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:11 | 05.3 kms | 04m 22s  min/km
Age Group: 6/16
Overall: 36/136
Performance: Average
Course: Two laps of about 2.65km. Flat and a couple of turns.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-07-01 8:28 AM

User image

Groningen, Netherlands
Subject: 6e ROC Friese Poort Triathlon Friesland
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 6e ROC Friese Poort Triathlon Friesland Rss Feed