Suburu Triathlon Series
14C / 57F
Overcast
Total Time = 43m 37s
Overall Rank = 19/176
Age Group = 19-
Age Group Rank = 4/8
Pre-race routine:

Disclaimer: I am still working on the art of a race report. Don't expect any JeepFleebness out of me.

Saturday night: Stayed up to 10:30 to do philosophy homework. In fact I'm still doing it as I write this. I knew that I had to be able to sleep, so I took 3mg of melatonin at 10:15. It didn't help. I was tossing and turning all night long, woke up about 5 times to got to the bathroom. Oh joy, really sleep deprived now.

Sunday morning: I woke up a 6:00am to eat. I had one Pita Break breakfast pita and some water. Maybe a granola bar too. From there I Checked my bags, then showered to wake myself up. After my shower I checked my bags again, got dressed and loaded the bike/bags. Then I was off to the race site. Upon arrival I dropped off my bags and bike and headed for registration. Got bodymarked then went to look at the water. That water really did look uphill. Back in TA I put "BT" in sharpie on the back of my right calf, incase I ran to Jon (jonow6), Geoff (geoffs), Timmy (TimmyMay, whom I did not see) or other BTers. I put the race # on my brand-spanking-new race number belt, put bike shoes on bike with elastics and proceeded to the swim start.
Event warmup:

As I was headed to the swim start it was annonuced that the water temp. was 69*, up two degrees from thurdsay thankfully. I always thought that since it was a try-a-tri there would be few wetsuits. Not so! I was one of the few crazy enough to have a George Costanza moment. Well there you go. I went well into the lake early to get my panic attack out of my system, a lesson learned from Belwood last year. They ended up delaying the start of the race by 5 minutes though I'm not sure why. From here we got out of the water and moved to swim start.
Swim
  • 11m 17s
  • 375 meters
  • 03m 01s / 100 meters
Comments:

I made the smart decision to start near the back, I learned a lot from Belwood. I held off for a few seconds after the gun (horn) to give a lttle space. From there I started to swim like I do in the pool, but it wasn't going to happen. The lack of visability in the water was really throwing off my mental capacity, and soon thereafter I could feel anouther panic attack coming on. Damn! So I did a sort of half-ass freestyle/breaststroke. Whenever I took on water (which I dod as my head was up the whole time) I did a little backwards sculling before continuing on my way. As soon as I touched bottom I stood up, ripped (not quite) off my swimcaps and goggles and got the hell out of the water!
What would you do differently?:

Multiple things that I would do differently. I would A) buy a wetsuit. that water was soooooooo c-c-c-cold! holy major shrinkage batman! I would also spend more time in open water, this is most definatly my limiter. I can swim, and swim failry well. But put me in a lake, and I'm a doggy-paddling four year old.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

T1 started off alright, I came out of the water running strong and quicky threw on my jesey, cliped on my race number. Then grabed my sunglasses, popped on m helment and ran with the bike. hit the dismount line and this is where the problem happened. I jumped on the bike ok, but when I put my foot down to pedal away (shoes on bike w/elastics) and only caught the toe of the shoe, jamming it into the ground. Damn #2! so I finally got under way and kicked it into High gear.

I would definalty practise my TI more, although I thought I had it.
Bike
  • 20m 29s
  • 10 kms
  • 29.29 km/hr
Comments:

Fast! is the way to describe the ride. My average is shown slower than it actually was because it includes transition, but wow! I pretty much had to stay in the left side of the lane as I was passing a constant stream of people. YeOwZa! But I stayed in the small chainring as there where a few rollers out there. There is one stupid thing that I did however, but I'll include that in T2. I was so caught up in the moment I didn't drink any water, but I took in so much in the swin I didn't worry about it.

I would not to the dumb thing I did.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

D'OH! what did I do to start off T2? I TOOK MY FEET OUT OF MY SHOES TOO EARLY!! Oh my @#$%^& god, I cannot believe that I did that. Right before I rounded what I thought was the last corner, I pulled out. Nope! still a kilometer or so to go! This is the only place I was passed though the whole ride. other that that *minor* slip-up, I slipped on my running shoes, grabbed my visor, turned around my race number and off I went.

Not pull out as soon as I did.
Run
  • 11m 52s
  • 2.5 kms
  • 04m 45s  min/km
Comments:

Well I didn't expect that hill of the top, but I was able to handle it well nevertheless. There was a quite a bit of mud on the trail as it rained the day before. So you had to watch out for the puddles. other than that it was smooth sailing. I think that I only go passed once, but passed a couple of people near the end. I drank a little bit at the first aid station but declined when I passed it again.

I could maybe have gone harder in the last half, but it is really hard to tell.
Post race
Warm down:

I lightly walked off the race, but not without smiling for the camera! I walked over to the fencing where my dad hugged and congratulated me on a terrific time, he seemed to keep reminding me that this was only my second triathlon. "Yes dad I know, I did them". After I went to double check Jon's bib # so I could cheer him on in the finish. But just then, I heard "And from Oakville Ontario...Jonathon Waldie". Oops, I ran over to congratulate the other member of the Oakville tri club and my first time meeting a BTer. That was cool. I hung out with Jono and his dad few a few minutes, as well as some dude named David, I could hear who he was over the PA. We parted ways and I watched the start of the Sprint. Wow that looks like a long way. Lots of nice bikes too, I think I counted at least 6 Cervelo P3C's out there, one with a Zipp 909 disk set! I have come to appreciate the whoosh sound that a disk makes :). During the bike I was looking for #335 coming out of T1 and going into T2. It was Geoff (geoffs) and he says now that he did indeed hear me. I coudn't stay to watch him finish and say hello, but I did see him round the last corner. I also saw someone with the same jersey as me! its a shop jersey so it got me kind of exciteded, I called out "good luck Kamikaze!" That was fun.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Open f---ing water. I really have to get over that.

Event comments:

This was a really awesome race, official reasults are here ---> http://www.sportstats.ca/res2006/milttat.htm

I am definatly doing the sprint next year, with a wetsuit!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-12-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:17 | 375 meters | 03m 01s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/8
Overall: 114/176
Performance: Below average
Suit: none
Course: Horseshoe.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:20:29 | 10 kms | 29.29 km/hr
Overall: 6/176
Performance:
Wind: None
Course: Out and back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:11:52 | 02.5 kms | 04m 45s  min/km
Overall: 23/176
Performance: Good
Course: Trail Loop
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-06-05 9:16 PM

Master
Subject: Milton Try-a-tri
Album to be up soon!

Edited by jknapman 2006-06-05 9:17 PM

2006-06-05 9:42 PM
in reply to: #444281

User image

Expert
Guelph, Ontario
Subject: RE: Milton Try-a-tri

sweet race!  Totally got me excited for my race this weekend.  As far as the open water thing is concerned, you just need to get out there and do it.  I think there are a few races through out the summer.  There is one in Leamington on the 18th of June. 

Great results and nice way to start of the summer

2006-06-06 5:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Barrie, Ontario
Congrats on the great race man. You really did well. It was good to finally meet you in person. Keep up the good work!
2006-06-06 11:04 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-06-06 11:33 AM

Crystal Lake, IL

Thanks for the great report.  Sounds like you had a blast.  Don't sweat the swim - you just like setting up all those people to pass on the bike.  It works for Bear!

2006-06-06 12:15 PM

Sydney Australia
Subject:

2006-06-06 12:31 PM

Master

I'm going to see about doing a 5k and a TT or two before my next tri.

That would be the Lake Belwood Triathlon weekend, I'm racing on one day and volunteering the other. Look for the thread in Triathlon Talk to see my dilemma.

Jon, we can't wait for the next tri, a think a weekly training ride is in order!

Thanks all!

2006-06-06 2:53 PM

Veteran
Hannon, Ontario
Great job!

Not a bad water temp for Kelso this time of year - I bet you could still feel your feet once you hit land!

Keep it up
2006-06-06 8:31 PM

Extreme Veteran
Guelph
Great job! The more you swim open water the better you feel.

I can't stress this enough fellow Ontario BTer's. Get a wetsuit and make sure it gets fitted right. The wrong size wetsuit can really slow you down, but the right one can make you a human freakin torpedo!

Congrats!
2006-06-07 9:25 PM

Master

Pics are up in my album if anyone is interested.

2006-06-08 5:45 AM
in reply to: #444956

Veteran
Barrie, Ontario
That would be great man. As long as im able to keep up

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Milton Try-a-tri Rss Feed