YMCA of Greater Houston
83F / 28C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 17m 33s
Overall Rank = 180/550
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 12/31
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:15 (ugh!). Got everything to the car, bikes loaded, etc and drove 45 min's to Pearland, TX.

Ate oatmeal w/ whey protein & raisins and drank OJ on the way.
Event warmup:

Swam 100 m to get the jitters out. Stretched. Ate a Cliff gel Shot.

It rained the day before and my bike rack had some standing water under it. I went ahead and put my towel on the ground - there just wasn't any way around it. The water didn't really affect anything otherwise.
Swim
  • 06m 57s
  • 328 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

This race pulls the Clyde data out of the general population. So, I'm not sure how I fell in each event compared to everyone. I only know how I compared against the Clydes.

I passed 2-3 people and got passed by two.

The transition timing mat was outside the pool area. My actual swim was about 6:30-ish.

It was funny because several people, including me, got behind some people and couldn't pass and just started walking, since each lane had traffic going both ways. I laughed to see a friend walking behind someone and going the same speed they were breastroking.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. 50 m is a lot longer than the 25 m pool swim I'm used to. But, my wife & I mix up our pool swimming with some OWS's which helps build better endurance.
Transition 1
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

Flying mount went good again in this tri! Having shoes already on the bike is the way to go. It makes T1 so easy, just put on sunglasses and helmet and go!

I needed to have a sense of urgency. I was trying to get my heartrate down after the swim and I just slow-jogged around instead of really running.
Bike
  • 36m 8s
  • 11 miles
  • 18.27 mile/hr
Comments:

I really wanted to keep my heart rate down on this bike and leave something for the run, something I have struggled with in the past 2 tri's. I did that and felt good going into the run, but sacrificed some speed to do it.

Got rained on the last 2-3 minutes of the bike.

I loosened my shoes too early. I thought I was about to approach T2, but forgot there was one more little straight-away (with a 180') that was about a mile. I actually accomplished what I wanted to though - I need to train to bike faster and still have something left at the end.
Transition 2
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

I lost 30 seconds here as a lady racked her bike in my spot. They were numbered and she just misread the number. I was 247 and she was 244. I pointed it out to her and she looked at the number and misread it, then I said something again and she looked down a couple of spots and realized the error and moved her bike. Nice lady, but it cost me 30 seconds. It didn't matter with placing, but it cost some time. On the other hand, it allowed me a few moments to catch my breath.

I installed the Yankz laces. It was pretty nice. I don't know that it saved me more than 15 seconds, but it was cool.

My big mistake was running with no socks on. My feet are still hurting me.

Nothing.
Run
  • 31m 31s
  • 3 miles
  • 10m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

The first mile or so of the run was in the rain. This is a little slower than I wanted to go, but I'm not overly upset about it. I felt like I had enough to finish strong the last 1/2 mile. I ran a 10:30 mile 1, 9 mi mile 2, then slowed and even walked 30 sec's in mile 3.

Run with an umbrella - just kidding!
Post race
Warm down:

walked a few minutes and drank water.

Event comments:

I liked the emphasis on the military and veterans. It was a nice touch with July 4th around the corner. Overall, it was a good race! The volunteers did great! There was a lot of them and they were very enthusiastic.

Last updated: 2012-04-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:57 | 328 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 14/31
Overall: 14/550
Performance: Average
Suit: No
Course: 50 m pool swim
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:11
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:36:08 | 11 miles | 18.27 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/31
Overall: 0/550
Wind: Some
Course: This is a weird course. It had 4 180' turns in it. There were quite a few straight-ways but it was broken up to be less of a tri course (long and straight and more of a road bike course (w/ twists and turns). I came up on a main street and thought the cops were letting traffic cross our path. I came to almost a complete stop and yelled to the cop, asking if I could go. He assured me it was OK, but it wasn't clear coming up the intersection. It looked like he was waving a car across the way. I only lost 4-5 seconds, but it was irritating to have to get back up to speed. I got a laugh because a 12 y/o and I kept passing each other about 3-4 times.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:44
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:31:31 | 03 miles | 10m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/31
Overall: 0/550
Course: Started the run on a soaked cinder track through a neighborhood. The cinder track was slightly muddy. It wasn't terrible, but not quite as nice as you'd like. But it was only about a 1/2 mile. Then we ran the rest through local neighborhoods on asphalt roads.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes