General Discussion Race Reports! » Mountain Tropic Tri - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Mountain Tropic Tri - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Garden City, Utah
United States
BBSC Endurance Sports
70?F / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 38m 48s
Overall Rank = 32/105
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/5
Pre-race routine:

Well, Jim and I decided to camp, thought it would save $ but by the time we traveled there 5:30hr drive, packet pick-up and hit the tents at 10pm, a group of aholes arrived at 11pm with jeep lights blazing on sleeping campground, about 10 people are carousing obnoxiously setting up tents, nightmare, cops finally came but 2am at that point, I got max 2.5hrs sleep, nice. Had coffee in a.m., pancakes, hardboiled egg.
Event warmup:

I was last wave to race so I got in lake after 2nd wave went and swam around, water actually felt kind of cold, I figured about 60 degrees but think was 62. Swam around for a bit trying to stay warm and hopefully to get used to water and not have breathing problems like I've been experiencing lately, ug.
Swim
  • 28h 59m
  • 1640 yards
  • 1h 46m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

Well, like I said I've just been having a hard time with my swim lately, wondering if it's from the plague I had right before Boise 70.3, that knocked me on my ass but I've been fine since, I just don't know how to explain the crappy swims, since I swim frequently, what gives, urrr! I started out in the front of the pack hopeing to catch some feet that knew where they were going, naturally I picked the wrong feet, ugh. I didn't site like I should have and when I looked up we were way over from the buoys, couldn't believe it so a bunch of people got ahead of me, my breating was really bad, usually for some reason I don't have a hard time with the breathing when I'm racing, don't know why but anyway, on this day, it was bad for breathing, actually had to stop for a few sec to catch my breath, felt like such a newb. Once I rounded the buoy for the turn around, I felt a little better and actually started passing a few people but not enough to make up for the bad navigation in the begining, this is what caused me to be 5th OAF and not 4th, when I compare the splits, bummer, I hope that's a lesson learned to me, site the course even when drafing!!!!
What would you do differently?:

Site better for sure!!
Transition 1
  • 01m 58s
Comments:

So, I get to T1 and the girl next to me can't get her suit zipped down, so I tried helping her for at least 30s, I couldn't get it down either, said sorry and she was cool with that. Other than that, think I did ok, found rack easy and got suit off ok, could always go faster but guess I'd need to practice more for that ;)

go faster with getting suit off etc.
Bike
  • 1h 12m 7s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.67 mile/hr
Comments:

Had a good ride, got to use my new awesome LG Superleggara (sp?) aero helmet with visor, so cool looking ha-ha! As a side note when we unloaded the bikes when we got back to town, the disc had a flat!!!! Found a deep nick in it, I was so lucky to finish the race, wow, the tri gods were looking out for me that day!

Get better at hill climbing, not have rodents killing themselves under my tires and mow more people down ;)
Transition 2
  • 02m 18s
Comments:

I really screwed up this T2, stupid mistake, ran 3 or 4 racks past my rack! Was running with bike looking at the posted rack #'s and didn't see mine so ran right past it. I always count racks as a pre race routine but maybe bc this was an away race and lack of sleep I just plain forgot, bummer, so I paid for it with a pathetic T2 time.

Don't rely on looking up #'s on racks to get to bike. Count racks and practice running into them a few times, I know all this, I just wish I did it, ugh!!
Run
  • 53m 28s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

see "course description"

Just try to run more, hoping I can lay down some more miles before Emmett race so I can improve my time.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a chocolate mild and couple bananas and walked to the beach, which by the way is beautiful, the lake is so blue and clear it's like the Caribean, hence the name of the race Mtn Tropic, aptly named. I just floated, dunked my head and stayed in there for around 10min in hopes I could help my legs recover quicker, I'm a big believer in the ice bath, this wasn't that but figured better than nothing, plus it felt sooo good.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Perhaps my 2.5hrs sleep nite before. Really though, I think I performed about as well as I could given my fitness level at this point. My swim is so difficult lately, makes me feel so frustrated, hope it gets better. My biking was good for me and the run was fine, would like to get faster but that will take some more time.

Event comments:

Hmm, so for $110 for an oly I was expecting a little more support. Maybe I'm spoiled from the great support at the Emmett race but there was only a couple volunteers at the aid stations and only one would be out there with water, so not ideal if few people back to back, I like 2 waters to throw/drink on me without slowing down. Also, they ran out of chocolate milk for the Half's,none at all and were dissasembling equiment too, thought that wasn't good form. There wasn't any gels offered on the run either which isn't a problem for me on the run but could be for others especially the Half runners. Also, this may be asking too much but I think the RD should have asked the town to patch up that really bad gravel spot on the curve, needs to happen anyway, make some effort to protect the racers, this should be part of their job. On a positive note, the weather was great for my race, not too warm, (def too warm for the Half 85+),no wind or rain and I had a great massage for free, that was lovely.

Last updated: 2012-06-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
28:59:00 | 1640 yards | 1h 46m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/5
Overall: 28/105
Performance: Below average
Suit: full
Course: rectangle, right into sun
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:58
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:12:07 | 24.85 miles | 20.67 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/5
Overall: 33/105
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: There was just some rollers, only a total of 750' elevation change. I was surprised at a section as you come around the bend that was rough dirt gravel, what's the deal, patch that up!! it was a flat/crash waiting to happen (also, there were too many potholes and crappy patching of the roads). Luckily I traveled course the day before and knew it was there. Oh, also, right in the beginning, I ran over a big rodent thingy, forget what you call them, they have long bodies and dig holes, ran right over the guy, then I'm building up speed again and wham! another commits suicide, what the heck?!! I pray I don't get a flat and continue on. I felt good on the bike, was using Jim's zipp disc on the back and 60 Reynolds(?) up front. As I would plug along up the hill at my usuall slow pace I would fly past everyone that past me on the downhill, such an awesome feeling, love the sound of that disc! I really put the hammer down for me on this race b/c I knew my swim was bad, was hoping to leave some in the tank for the run but I already know my run isn't great this year so just wanted to have some fun.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:18
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:53:28 | 06.21 miles | 08m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/5
Overall: 28/105
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back, flat, just some little inclines. I felt ok, started out fast in the 7's so brought it down and stayed at 8:15 for the first couple miles then I saw it was low 8:30's a lot and I felt ok so went with that. My goal was to stay at 8:40 for at least first half then kick it up after but since I felt good I stayed lower for a while. On the way back there was some inclines again and was harder to stay fast pace I noticed some 8:50's and 9 a few times but would quickly try to go faster and at least stay at 8:40, that strategy worked for the most part and I feel I had a good run for my fitness, was able to kick it the last mile and pace was around 8.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-07-01 1:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Mountain Tropic Tri - Olympic Course

2012-07-03 3:40 PM
in reply to: #4289206

User image

Elite
Boise
Subject: RE: Mountain Tropic Tri - Olympic Course
Kicking butt and taking names. Killer bike split, it has to be the shiny new bike right?
2012-07-03 5:25 PM
in reply to: #4293407

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Mountain Tropic Tri - Olympic Course
Ha-ha, that and the engine brother!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mountain Tropic Tri - Olympic Course Rss Feed