Cellcom Green Bay Marathon
86F / 30C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 57m 53s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Drive up w Steve, leave his house around 11 on Saturday. Taco bell on the way! Get room, go over to expo, hang out at Curley's until Amber and the Daves show up. Back to hotel, hang out by the pool till dinner time and Kelly arrived. Car pool to Victoria's for dinner, had reservations for 10--me, Steve, Amber, Kelly, Dave Adams, Dave Kessen, Dave Markweiss, Jenny Caran and her friend Jen, and Chris--Chuck's son. Back to hotel, to bed around 10-ish.
Event warmup:

Alarm for 5:45 but had a hard time sleeping so got up around 5:30 to eat. 2 Kashi bars w peanut butter, banana and yogurt. WAlk over to start line from the Best Western. Very hot and humid out.
Run
  • 2h 57m 53s
  • 18 miles
  • 09m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt great! Got to mile 18 and they were diverting everyone to busses, said the race shut down, that they had barricaded the finish line and were taking down all the aid stations. Only 8 miles to go! So upset, crying.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing! Nailed the nutrition, felt great! So upset they cancelled the race, but I knew I couldn't go 8 miles without water as they said they were taking down the aid stations.
Post race
Warm down:

Had passed Steve just before the half, knew he was behind me so was waiting for him to get to mile 18. Grabbed a few cups of water and started walking the course backwards to meet him but he didn't show. After an hour figured he had gotten on a bus at an earlier aid station and took the shuttle back to lambeau. Checked the finish line but couldnt find anyone! Out of our 5 rooms, we had managed to keep 1 till 1pm so went back to that room, everyone was waiting except dave Markweiss and Dave Adams who were still on the course. Showered, changed. When they got back we checked out and went to the finish line to get our food and beer...got the last brats but they were already out of beer. Went to bar across the street from the hotel for apps and beer. Drive home, eat dinner at Tailgators then drop Steve off.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Uh, that the race was cancelled!

Event comments:

We do this race every year and the weather is so unpredictable! Last year it was 50s with a monsoon wind and I froze! This year it was so hot they called it! Bummer that everyone either diverted to the half or came back on the shuttles, finish line was open and turns out they kept the aid stations up as well. Would have gone for it had I known. Sucked that all the food and beer was gone at the finish line as well.

Last updated: 2011-10-22 12:00 AM
Running
02:57:53 | 18 miles | 09m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Different course this year. Seemed similar with a few rollers but no big hills. Hot and humid. Took water at every stop (they had them almost every mile d/t heat), took ice whenever they offered it and stuck it down my top from and back and down back of shorts. Shot blox every 2 miles, gel around mile 7or 8 then again 14. Feeling really good and strong.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes