The Great White North Triathlon
15C / 59F
Precipitation
Total Time = 5h 35m 50s
Overall Rank = 260/697
Age Group = M40-49
Age Group Rank = 65/142
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:15 AM. Had a half of a banana, protein drink and protein bar. Made sure I had all my things packed. Went and picked up two other athletes.
Event warmup:

After arrival to the race, walked around a bit. Got T1 ready. Very chilly in the morning and it started to rain. Did not pack rain gear. Quite windy as well. We all needed to be in the chute area half hour before the race started. This I did not understand but complied. Did a 5 minute swim warm up and then went to the chute area. Waited there and got a bit chilly. Stretched and tried to keep warm.
Swim
  • 40m 45s
  • 2000 meters
  • 02m 02s / 100 meters
Comments:

Started strong, then settled into a good pace. First buoy was congested and lost a bit of time navigating around the 'campers'. Didn't like having to get out of the water and run around buoy on the beach but didn't feel too dizzy to start the second lap or coming out of the water for T1 so it wasn't that bad.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. Start my watch at the right time.
Transition 1
  • 03m 26s
Comments:

Fumbled a bit with my gear. I thought I laid it out alright but the wind must have blew it over.

Better organized will shave some time here.
Bike
  • 2h 52m 39s
  • 90 kms
  • 31.28 km/hr
Comments:

A PB for the bike! Rained quite steadily for a good portion of the race. Passed a good deal of TT bikes. That was nice! Listened to body and did not drink or eat on a schedule. Took 6 gels and only had 2 of them. Took 3 bottles and barely drank two of them. Felt good, other than the rain, for the entire bike race. Another first was being able to 'relieve myself' on the bike. With the rain, worked quite nicely! :)

Get a TT bike? :)
Transition 2
  • 04m 10s
Comments:

This was a bit of a gong show. My rack was way in the back and was steered in the wrong direction for a bit. Oh well, not a big issue. With the rain and cold bike, I realized when I got off my bike that I could not feel my toes. Running with the bike was not working so I had to walk to my rack. As I do not wear socks on the bike, I wanted to get on my compression socks for the run. Bad idea as I didn't pack a towel for T2 and it took what felt like forever to get them on. Ran out and realized I still had my cycle gloves on a few meters out of T2. Threw them off to the side. Luckily I got them back after the race.

In the morning, did not go to T2 and see where I was going to be. NOT put on compression socks. I'll go with compression sleeves, as I have done in the past. Take off gloves. Follow the order that I usually do.
Run
  • 1h 54m 50s
  • 21 kms
  • 05m 28s  min/km
Comments:

Felt very good to start. I alternated the aid stations. First I would run through and only grab water. Drink some then throw the rest on my head. Kept me cool. Other aid stations, I would walk, take a bit of Gatorade. Skipped the last two aid stations as I felt very strong. The last one that I stopped at I took some flat cola. Ate no solids on the run and only 3 gels at km 6, 18 and another one I can't remember. Finished strong! PB for the run!

Not use compression socks but sleeves. Start off a bit slower. Not sure about that comment as I felt it was an excellent run!
Post race
Warm down:

Ecstatic! PB overall. Shaved off 54:19 from last year's time (didn't train much last year and had a crappy race) and 16:44 from my previous best time. A long way from 4 years ago and my first Half Ironman distance race of 7:20:??.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Rain on the bike slowed all down a bit, I think. Poorly managed T2.

Event comments:

New organizer this year. Was well run in years past but it was awesome this year. Had a Ironman feel to it right from package pick up to the finish! I'd love to do this race every year but may be doing Ironman Coeur d'alene next year. Only a week apart. Highly recommend this race to others! There was a good variety of new and experienced triathletes.

Last updated: 2012-03-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:45 | 2000 meters | 02m 02s / 100meters
Age Group: 72/142
Overall: 320/697
Performance: Good
PB on swim for this race. Got hammered around pretty good for the first 150M or so. Did not mind as I saw this as prep for IMC. Forgot to start the time on my watch at the start. D'oh! Oh well. New swim technique paid off. Thanks Greg!
Suit:
Course: Course was two loops of 1 km each.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:26
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:52:39 | 90 kms | 31.28 km/hr
Age Group: 82/142
Overall: 308/697
Wind: Some
Course: Hubbles lake, through Stony Plain, out to Gennesee plant and back to Stony Plain. A few good rollers and good hill down to the river and back. Do it twice because of the 'there and back'.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:10
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:54:50 | 21 kms | 05m 28s  min/km
Age Group: 57/142
Overall: 230/697
km breakdown: km time HR 1 702 148 included a pee break 2 454 159 3 505 159 4 517 159 5 520 159 6 557 158 7 511 162 8 526 163 9 544 161 10 544 162 11 544 160 12 543 160 13 536 163 14 530 163 15 534 163 16 533 165 17 509 165 18 541 164 19 523 166 20 500 168 21.1 446 177
Course: A bit of a maze but 3rd time doing it so was fine with the layout. Pretty flat course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes