United States
Tucson Triathlon Series
88F / 31C
Total Time = 1h 15m 29s
Overall Rank = 75/312
Age Group = F35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/26
Pre-race routine:

Greek yogurt with chia seeds and strawberries after racking the bike at 5:15. Chocolate cherry Clif shot before the race. I was wishing that I had brought a little more to eat. My start time was 7:16:15.
Event warmup:

200 yard warmup.
Swim
  • 14m 26s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

Nice swim. They cool the pool during the summer. I neither passed nor was passed on the swim, so it was seeded very well.
Transition 1
  • 01m 58s
Comments:

The distance to transition is a little longer in the summer because of where people leave the pool for the serpentine. Almost put the helmet on backwards :/
Bike
  • 35m 24s
  • 11.5 miles
  • 19.49 mile/hr
Comments:

There was some very welcome cloud cover during this stretch. I probably spent 2/3 of the ride in the aero bars, which is a huge improvement for me. I didn't use them on Euclid or on some downhill portions where I started going fast and got nervous. I feel like I slow way down to turn, but that's what I am comfortable with right now. I wanted to pass someone toward the end, but there was another rider in the mix, and I couldn't find a way to do it, which was frustrating. I didn't feel like I was riding hard, per se, but I was breathing heavily.
What would you do differently?:

Learn to take turns faster. Keep riding and getting more comfortable on the bike, especially in the aero bars.
Transition 2
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

Not much to say.
Run
  • 22m 42s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt slow starting and ran by feel. Checking the splits after, I think I started out too fast, or maybe the heat got to me. I ran with a handheld bottle of cold water, and poured the course water on my body. It was nice and cold. There was some cloud cover during the run, and the heat didn't bother me as much as last year. I started feeling really bad after mile 2 and pushed through to the end, but might have been able to push a little harder.
What would you do differently?:

Play with the Garmin multisport settings and get different data fields to show up during the run. I don't practice a lot of bricks, so I don't have a good sense of what my post bike run pace should be and feel like. Suck it up... I discovered a little blister when I was done. I should put something on my feet beforehand, at least for this summer race.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked for a bit. A big water slide was brought to the course, and I took advantage. I also enjoyed the cold watermelon :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Confidence and skill handling the bike. Getting to bed earlier would probably help.

Event comments:

Another hot one, but not as bad as it could have been. My age group was really competitive today. My time this year would have gotten me first in my age group last year. All in all, I am happy (I was expecting a 1:17), but I know there is room to improve.

Last updated: 2012-05-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:26 | 820 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/26
Overall: 101/312
Performance: Good
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/194704005 I forgot to switch the Garmin pool settings to 50 meters :/
Suit:
Course: 50 meter serpentine.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:58
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:35:24 | 11.5 miles | 19.49 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/26
Overall: 105/312
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/194704010
Wind: Little
Course: 3 x 4 mile square around the university. There are a lot of cracks on the Euclid section of the course.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:01
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:22:42 | 03 miles | 07m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/26
Overall: 53/312
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/194704023
Course: Relatively flat paved course through the University.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes