United States
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 32m 49s
Overall Rank = 301/593
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 52/68
Pre-race routine:

Disclaimer - Tri Newbie - My first Tri ever! :)

Got up at 5:30 to get to the transition area early and get a true handle on what was in front of me. I had my usual race day (run) breakfast of Cliff Bar, Red Bull, and Whey/Gatorade mix. Unlike Buffalo Marathon last week, I ate a full 2 hours before the start.

By the time I parked and inflated my bike tires it was a little before 7 am (8 am start). I arrived at the transition area and easily found a spot. As I don't have a routine, I unpacked the necessary goods and rearranged everything about 4 times.
Event warmup:

I actually did very little warm up. Warm up consisted of easy jog to find the line for the port-o-johns. My wave started 36 minutes after the start, so there was a lot of standing around.
Swim
  • 26m 19s
  • 1094 yards
  • 02m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

Where do I begin? The swim is what has been keeping me from getting into Tri's for the past 2 years. My swimming background in the past 36 years consisted of playing in pools with my girls and a couple of games of marco-polo. My swim training started 2 months ago with laps at the local Y at a very slow pace - I am talking getting passed by grandmother's doing the back stroke pace. I rented wetsuit for the race and used it once this past Thursday. That was my first ever OWS and gave me a little bit of confidence.

When it was finally our time to start, the swim was everything I feared it would be. The only way to describe the start was like being in a washing machine. I started in the right, rear of the pack and caught the aftermath of everyone in front of me. Not to mention the fact that I was kicked a couple of times. I compensated by trying to catch the pack for some reason. Unfortunately, I quickly panicked for a bit and couldn't catch my breath about 100 meters into the swim. At that point I didn't know what to do and I flipped over on my back to catch my breath. I ended up doing the backstroke and sidestroke for most of the first leg, and part of the second leg. There was one point on the first leg where I passed a guard and seriously thought about calling it quits as I had no idea how I was going to continue. However, I continued on and was finally able to find a little dog paddle stroke. Somewhere after the first turn I was caught by people from the wave behind me. For some reason, that actually calmed me down. Then about 2/3's of the way into the swim I was able to relax and get my breathing in check. At that point, I actually tried to freestyle. I learned that while relaxed I could do this! I found my stroke and matched a group of about 4 people around me (from wave behind me) with speed for the final leg. The final leg actually felt good, but that ramp never looked so good as when I was done with the swim!
What would you do differently?:

I have a couple of options here:

1) Stick to running
2) Stick to Du's
3) Wear a full life jacket with a motor
4) Learn to swim
Transition 1
  • 03m 10s
Comments:

Transition 1 was all about getting my focus back on the task at hand. I really didn't push for time and actually chatted with a guy beside me for a bit. Finally when I had the wetsuit off and my shoes on, it was on - I was ready to race!

Nothing this time. Next race I will focus on speed during transitions.
Bike
  • 39m 19s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 18.97 mile/hr
Comments:

When I finally was leaving T1, I was frustrated about the swim AND excited about the race, so I let out a scream as I got up to full speed. I quickly hit 25mph and was feeling good about the bike. As I let so many people get a good head start, the fast people and MOP'ers were all a good bit in front of me. This allowed me to do alot of passing and I was only passed by 2 people during the entire bike leg. The first half of the ride was mostly over 20 mph. The final stretch was into the wind and slowed me a bit. However, it probably had more to do with the fact that I had tired legs from the swim and the marathon the week before.

Bike more than once in the past month and not run a marathon the week before the race. Also, clipless pedals and some aerobars might help make my little entry level Trek a little faster.
Transition 2
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

No real problems here other than the fact that most of the other bikes were in and there wasn't much space on the rack for my bike. I had to move 1 bike over 4 inches to make room for my bike. As I wasn't wearing bike shoes, that helped this transition time.

Not sure.
Run
  • 22m 32s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

Yippee - I was finally in my element! I geared down on the final bit of the bike, so it didn't take me long to get into the run. I grabbed some water leaving T2 and I was off. My only goal for the first mile was to find my legs. It didn't take too long as I am used to this one discipline and used to running on tired legs. I had no real idea on pace as I messed up my watch leaving T2. I hit stop instead of 'lap'. When I arrived at mile 1, I assumed I was over a 7 pace, but I wasn't sure how much. I hit lap at that point and settled into a comfortable pace. My goal in the run was to pick out people ahead of me and pass them one by one. This worked, as I was not passed by a single person during the run. Overall, the run was pretty good. It wasn't a 5k PR, but I was ok with my time considering all that I had been through.

Not sure.
Post race
Warm down:

Warm down consisted of a quick walk to port-o-john for a pee.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

By looking at my results, everything is obvious. I need to learn to swim and bike more. Other than that, it is all good.

My place by disciplines tells the story:

Swim time was 26:19.35, Overall place 472
Bike time was 39:19.50, Overall Place 260
Run time was 22:32.05, Overall place 107

With all that being said, I am hooked! I can't wait for my next TRI!

Event comments:

Great and fun race on a nice sprint course.

Last updated: 2006-04-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:19 | 1094 yards | 02m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 63/68
Overall: 472/593
Performance: Bad
Suit: X Terra Sleeveless (wetsuitrental.com)
Course: Course was 3 leg out and around the bay. Current was against us for first leg, sideways for 2nd leg, and with us for third leg.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:10
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:39:19 | 12.43 miles | 18.97 mile/hr
Age Group: 48/68
Overall: 260/593
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: Course was out and around the base. FLAT, with a little wind.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:28
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:22:32 | 03.11 miles | 07m 15s  min/mile
Age Group: 22/68
Overall: 107/593
Performance: Average
Course: Simple loop around the base.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-06-05 10:34 PM

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA
Subject: Breezy Point Triathlon

2006-06-06 12:36 AM
in reply to: #444373

User image

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC
Subject: RE: Breezy Point Triathlon

At that point I didn't know what to do and I flipped over on my back to catch my breath.

Sounds to me like you knew exactly what to do.   Great job on your first, with an OWS to boot!  Good job, triathlete!!!! 

2006-06-06 7:53 AM
in reply to: #444417

User image

Expert
Chesapeake, VA
You did great.  Now that you got this first one completed it will get easiar.
2006-06-06 7:58 AM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Awesome first Tri!!  If you figure out a way to make option 3 for the swim happen, let me know...I need it too.
2006-06-06 11:46 AM

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
Great job with your first tri! The OWS gets better.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Breezy Point Triathlon Rss Feed