Team Mossman
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 11m 23s
Overall Rank = 80/124
Age Group = 40-45
Age Group Rank = 22/29
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 2:00am and organized my stuff for the race. I ended up leaving my house around 2:45. You forget how many whack jobs are out stumbling around that early in the morning. I made it up to CT super early and slept in my car for about a half hour before they opened evrything up to get my race packet. Had some gatorade and bagel with peanut butter while making the drive.
Event warmup:

Swam a little bit out ot the first bouy. The water was calm and felt great. The start was not as hot as it had been but I knew the run was going to be brutal.
Swim
  • 27m 18s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 17s / 100 yards
Comments:

This course was definitely short. Since the race had only 124 people we all went off together. I started a little to the right and made it to the first bouy fine it was a little crowded at the turn nothing major. I was able to draft off someone the all the way to the first turn around. this made the swim that much easier. I felt great getting out of the water. When I looked at my watch I was shocked at the time.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 01m 37s
Comments:

Short run up the beach. The wetsuit came off easily and got ready to go.

Nothing
Bike
  • 3h 24m 6s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.46 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike my downfall every race. I started the race thinking of this as a training ride and not getting worked up whenever I got passed. At the pre race briefing they told us the first 16 miles were uphill and there was 3300 feet of climbing. Perfect pratice for my IM. I kept a good pace for me, during the ride I was able to spin up all the hills and did not have to get out of the saddle. I knew the run was going to be hot and did not want to suffer any more than I had to. The course was nice and riding through the reservoir provided some nice scenery. There is nothing like this near me to ride on so it was a welcome change.

As always ride more. I kept the pace I need to keep to be able to ride 112 mile in August.
Transition 2
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

I forgot to lay out socks to change into so I had to rummage through my backpack.

Lay out socks for the run.
Run
  • 2h 16m 33s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

As soon as you got off the bike you could feel the heat. I had brought a fuel belt but the water was hot. I put on my garmin and made a pit stop in the bathroom to pee. About three miles in my garmin shut off and is not working. Did I say it was hot. The aid stations were well stoked and I took gatorade and ice water at each one. They had these little plastic tubes filled with ice water which were good to run with and poor on your head. Had a gu every 45 minutes. I was soaked by mile 3 from pouring water on my head. My shoes were sloshing the whole time. The run course wasn't so bad but combined with heat it was tough.

I thought I paced myself given the conditons. The second loop was more difficult.
Post race
Warm down:

They gave you a towel soaked in ice at the finish. I took an ice cold shower near the beach and changed into dry clothes. Looking to get a masage but none were available. I was hungry but couldn't eat anything if that makes sense. Packed up and drove home and met my family at the beach.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat!!

Event comments:

For a first time race and only 124 people it was well run. I was concerned that they wouldn't have anybody on the bike course. I was wrong, a bunch of volunteers and police to guide you along the way. The run stations were well stiocked also. This was a very good race and would reccomend it to anyone looking for a challenging bike course. This was agood tune up for me as I prepare for my IM.

Last updated: 2012-06-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:18 | 2112 yards | 01m 17s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/29
Overall: 46/124
Performance: Good
Suit: XTerra Fullsuit
Course: Rectangle swimming out to the first bouy nad you make a left keeping the bouys on your right and turn around and come back.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:37
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:24:06 | 56 miles | 16.46 mile/hr
Overall: 100/124
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: Rolling hills through CT. About 3300 feet of total climbing. You ride about 16vmiles to a reservoir and do two loops in the reservoir and head back to the start.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:51
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:16:33 | 13.1 miles | 10m 25s  min/mile
Overall: 70/124
Performance: Average
Course: two loops through a residential area and the park. Not much shade a few small climbs nothing major.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-07-02 7:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Mighty Moss Half Iron Triathlon

2012-07-02 9:23 AM
in reply to: #4289976

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Mighty Moss Half Iron Triathlon

Glad you liked it, i was the guy that was at the turn around at the fire house yelling lap 2 turn.

Nice job on the race, it is a tough but fair bike course and the swim was short like you said.

Just wish the towns had some of the roads in better shape, especially Norwalk where i live, they really lack a decent plan on improving the conditions and have been that way for a couple years.

Did you get a GPS file on the bike, i would be curious to see what everyone got for distance and elevation.

Congrats again on toughing out a really really hot day!!!

2012-07-02 11:23 AM
in reply to: #4289976

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Mighty Moss Half Iron Triathlon
Distance:55.67 mi
Time:2:59:11
Avg Speed:18.6 mph
Elevation Gain:3,294 ft
Calories:1,892 C

This is from Mossman website that some posted a link. Thanks for your help yesterday. It also shows an elevation graph.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mighty Moss Half Iron Triathlon Rss Feed