General Discussion Race Reports! » Phily Tri - Philadelphia Insurance Triathlon - Olympic Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Phily Tri - Philadelphia Insurance Triathlon - Olympic - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
United States
Phily Tri
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 32m 46s
Overall Rank = 282/1542
Age Group = Clydes
Age Group Rank = 4/63
Pre-race routine:

raceday weight: 232 -> i am out of control!!
Event warmup:

was in the first wave @7a, but the made us cross the line at 6:35 so we just waited on the boat ramp. reaxed. stretched.
Swim
  • 29m 32s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 48s / 100 yards
Comments:

Schuykill was like bathwater. no wetsuit. ran into some good sized pieces of wood/debris this year, but had very little contact. i don't think i swam the straightest route in the world....kept veering right.
My swimming stinks, mostly due to neglect, so i just tried to not use to much gas.
What would you do differently?:

train
Transition 1
  • 02m 13s
Comments:

Good T1. 3rd A/G

Our bikes were racked at the swim entrance so we had a really long walk with the bike to get out of transition. for this reason i left my shoes on the bike and ran barefoot. this made my transition pretty fast but i did have some trouble mounting as my rubber bands broke and the shoes were flopping everywhere. i haven't done that in a while.

better shoe attachement
Bike
  • 1h 08m 16s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.84 mile/hr
Comments:

First lap was strong and being in the first wave was absolutely great...no crowds. Passed transition for the first lap in about 33 min and change.

Second lap was more eventful. Lots of crowds. On the first hill after transition I made the left turn and started going up the hill where the racers on the other side are flying down. I heard someone yell something and out of the corner of my eye saw an ejected water bottle screaming at me from the other side at 45mph like a guided missle. Had no time to do anything and hit it dead on with both wheels like a speed bump. Was amazed i didn't flatten a tire, damage a wheel, or go down. All was good, until...

I foolishly dropped my chain on the second Lemmon Hill climb. Not normally a big deal. but, I could not get that thing back on for the life of me. Guess I was flustered. Being on the steep pitch didn't help. Took me a solid 90 seconds. It happened in front of a photographer so i am probably in the background of alot of peoples pictures :).

Other than that, the ride was great. Felt like I managed the hills well by going a little harder than usual. 12/23 was certainly the right call.
2nd lap got very crowded.

Nutrition: One bottle water with 2 gu roctanes mixed. another reg bottle. Picked up another on the 2nd lap. it was hot.

Avg pwr 290w, nPower 320w.
Gear: P2, 808 front, Hed rear w/ cover. Conti 4000s w/ latex. Aerolid.

Not drop my chain. that stunk.
Transition 2
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

3rd a/g.
Keeping transitions under 4 min on this course especially with where my bike was racked is pretty solid. kept it simple. Happy here.

dropped my computer which i had to go back for. other than that, pretty solid.
Run
  • 48m 59s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Didn't have a watch with me so i just went by feel. Took it fairly easy at the beginning knowing i could easily overheat on the back half when it got into the sun. Just chugged along. Saw the leader and 2nd place guy coming at me before i reached the final turnaround. Leader was too far gone, but i thought i could catch the 2nd guy - and he gave me some encouragement to do so! - but even though i was able to pick up my pace, i guess he did too. Came in in 3rd.

maybe push a little harder in the beginning, but that is a risky game in the heat for me. i have walked the last half of this course before.
Post race
Warm down:

I was done by 9:30, so what else is there to do but eat some lunch. Had to wait for a good 90 min for transition to open. Still prefer the early wave, though.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

crappy swim, dropped chain.

Event comments:

I got home and checked the results and was SHOCKED and bummed that i received a 2 min drafting penalty. I have no idea when that happened. Can't recall anything i did that could have been construed as drafting. Never saw a moto with officials on it. I guess it happened on the 2nd lap when it was crowded and it must have been by a stationary official (?). Bums me out because I hate drafters. It's all good, though, as those officials have a tough job on a very crowded, tight, course....but "I am not a criminal!!!".

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-05-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:32 | 1640 yards | 01m 48s / 100yards
Age Group: 28/63
Overall: 671/1542
Performance: Average
Suit: none
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:13
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:08:16 | 24.85 miles | 21.84 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/63
Overall: 156/1542
Performance:
Avg pwr 290w, nPower 320w.
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Bad Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:43
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:48:59 | 06.21 miles | 07m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/63
Overall: 364/1542
Performance: Good
Course: flat. out and back out and back
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-07-02 9:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Havertown, PA
Subject: Phily Tri - Philadelphia Insurance Triathlon - Olympic
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Phily Tri - Philadelphia Insurance Triathlon - Olympic Rss Feed