United States
Grandman Triathlon
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 08m 10s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 8/9
Pre-race routine:

Ate instant oatmeal and a bagel. Had to park a little over a mile away. Friend and I took our bags and rode our bikes down to the race to set up transition.
Event warmup:

Swam about 100 yds.
Swim
  • 17m 55s
  • 587 yards
  • 03m 03s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was the first year they've tried the swim start like this. I've never done this race before, so I have nothing to compare it to. Swim course was fun, I enjoyed it.
What would you do differently?:

Train for this race by water jogging in the pool.
Transition 1
  • 03m 38s
Comments:

It was a little bit of a run from the swim area to transition...not bad. I don't really get in much of a hurry, I sit down, put my socks on, etc. But I saw one girl sitting down going through her bag in transition stop to put lipstick on. (Maybe it had SPF in it?) After seeing my race photos, I wish I had done that too! LOL
Bike
  • 1h 05m 49s
  • 18 miles
  • 16.41 mile/hr
Comments:

Had sooo much fun riding that course. The other racers were so friendly, and so were the volunteers and law enforcement helping with traffic.

Get some engine work done on my bike!
Transition 2
  • 01m 59s
Run
  • 38m 51s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 12m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Very pleasant run. As usual, I just kind of jogged along and enjoyed myself. Toward the end, met a guy running along about the same pace and we chatted for the last mile. Most of the course was shady with a nice breeze coming off the water.

I guess I should start trying to run faster and stop visiting with everyone. I have so much fun though.
Post race
Warm down:

When I crossed the finish line (which was lined with spectators cheering us on), a volunteer put a water bottle in my hand that said "Grandman Finisher" and it was full of water. I was so thankful! Walked around and sipped on that.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

ME!

Event comments:

This is a don't-miss event. Lots of wonderful and friendly volunteers and spectators, very well organized, plenty of cold water, powerade, beer, pizza, sandwiches, fruit and cookies afterward. The course was fun, and the atmosphere was great. Great pre-race instruction, and the race directors sent out steady emails to participants to keep them up to date on things. Weather turned out beautiful that day also. I can't wait til next year!

Last updated: 2012-07-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:55 | 587 yards | 03m 03s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/9
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Course was supposed to be 600 yds, but they changed it because it was so shallow. It was probably around 800 yds, and the start was time trial on the beach. You run into the water until it's deep enough to swim. I was doing OK, plodding along as usual, as I passed some guy just treading water near the 2nd buoy. He evidently saw someone he knew on the other side of me and swam across me perpendicularly. Strange, but it only cause a minor hitch in my stroke. First time anyone has ever swam over me like that. Swim time includes the run through the water til your 600 yrds actually start, the wade back in after the 600 yrds are over, and the run across the beach before you get to the timing mat. I thought I did OK (for me) because I was fresh coming out of the water and ready to go.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:38
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:05:49 | 18 miles | 16.41 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/9
Overall: 9/
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Very hilly! Loved it!
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:59
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:38:51 | 03.1 miles | 12m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/9
Overall: 9/
Course: Fairly flat around a goose pond. Lots of goose poop!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes