General Discussion Race Reports! » Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Austin, Texas
United States
RunTex
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 58m 59s
Overall Rank = 765/1226
Age Group = F 50-54
Age Group Rank = 9/17
Pre-race routine:

Racked the bike the day before. When I was at the expo people kept talking about the hill after turning off Congress. They made it sound like a steep climb. I was a little concerned since looking at the course map it looked like a hard right turn into the climb. I had not gotten a chance to ride the course, so I drove it. When I came around the corner and saw the hill I had to laugh. That is not a hill! :) I guess it's all relative.

I had a really wonderful time Sunday night with the BT gang at Dennis' house. It was really fun meeting everyone. I'm still waiting to see those pictures of my wine stopper demo. :)

I had done all my pre-race packing earlier in the day so that when I got back from the party, I could relax before going to bed. I actually managed to do it without John noticing and fleeing the room.

We got up early to allow time to find a parking space. Next year I'm staying at the Hyatt or the Embassy Suites across the street. That way I can sleep in a little later. I guess I'm coming back again.

Being early, body marking and set up went quickly. I also liked that I was in an early wave, and wouldn't be sitting around forever after they closed the transition area.
Event warmup:

My walk from the car, and a little bit of stretching was my warm up.
Swim
  • 31m 18s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

It was a deep water start so we were treading water for a while. That doesn't really bother me. It was a little rough at the start. It seemed like everyone went for the same line so there was a fair amount of bumping and grinding until things spread out. I didn't find a good person to draft off of. Everytime I thought I had found a good set of feet the woman would start breast stroking. I didn't push too hard since I had not been in the pool since I got back from Saint Anthony's.

It was rather fun swimming under the bridge and seeing all the people standing on the bridge. I've never swam under a bridge before during a race. Since there was 10 minutes between the previous wave and ours I didnt get to chase down many from that wave. I did find myself getting passed by a number of fast women from later waves.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more between races, but so not into swimming right now!
Transition 1
  • 04m 11s
Comments:

I'm still wearing my "fat wetsuit". Even though it's old (1997) I love it because it comes off so much easier then all my newer ones. I made the change pretty quickly but this was one of these transitions with a long run. People talk about transitions being free speed if done well, but I get killed when it involves a long run.

Find races with short transition runs :)
Bike
  • 1h 13m
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.42 mile/hr
Comments:

This was the first time I've done an Olympic distance race with multiple loops on the bike course. I was a little concerned about keeping track of the laps. The first time one crosses the mat she hasn't done a complete circuit yet. I counted the number of times I climbed the hill by the Capitol to keep track. I knew once I did that 4 times I could turn off.

The first lap wasn't too bad crowding wise. Being in the first women's wave helped somewhat. Though even on the first lap I was getting passed by hammer head guys from later waves. I tried staying out of the guys' way, but at the same time I was passing a lot of people so I had to come left to make my passes.

My cycle conditioning has improved since Saint Anthony's, but I still needed a little something to get me pumped up. When a guy on a hybrid with upright handlebars passed me I'm thinking to myself, "No way I'm letting someone on a hybrid beat me. I don't care if it's a guy who's 10 years younger then me. That is not gonna happen." Sorry if I sound like a bike snob, but I ride too much, and spent too much money on my carbon fiber tri-bike to get blown off by a hybrid. I cranked it up a notch and blew by the guy. I didn't see him again. *evil grin*

By the third and fourth laps the crowding was pretty bad. It was very hard not to draft at times. I won't deliberately sit on a wheel during a race, but as I was making a bunch of passes I didn't have much choice since this guy and I were taking the same line around slower riders. Finally I was able to find a spot where I wasn't right on his wheel. I was glad the officials weren't near by when I made those passes. I'm glad the entire street is closed to cars. It made dealing with the crowding much easier. There's one race I've done a few times that's 2 loops, and it gets really crowded with bikes and cars! (I'm skipping that race this year.)

Another hybrid rider tried going around me, but again I wasn't letting that happen. This one did have aerobars on, but even so..... The hybrids usually would try their pass on the down hill strech on Congress. I guess the extra weight on the descent helps. :)

I was certainly happy to get off the bike course when I did. Too much traffic!

Not much. It was one of my best Olympic bike splits.
Transition 2
  • 02m 20s
Comments:

I had noticed when I was on my third a loop a guy on his fourth got out of his shoes even before crossing the mat for the fourth time. So when I came around for the last time I did the same thing. It was a good spot to put the feet on top of the shoes. The road surface gets a little bumpy once one comes off the main street portion.

My rack was close to the bike entrance so I didn't have as far a run as I had from the swim exit. Still the run exit was at the other end, so still had longer transition then normal.

See T1 note.
Run
  • 1h 08m 7s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Running continues to be a major challenge. I'm still running slowly, and I wanted to make sure I paced myself well in the heat. Considering that the week before I arrived I was wearing tights and a windbreaker while riding, the Texas heat was a factor.

I adopted the same run stratagy as Saint Anthony's. I ran as much as I could, and then walked through the aid stations. I had problems with my shoe laces coming loose. I've been using the old style lace lock thingys instead of the elastic laces. But the loop I made with the extra length came loose so I had to stop and redo it. However when one is running 11 minute miles and not worrying about placing these minor annoyances can be dealt with.

I had worn my BT gear but in some ways I wish I had my TNT singlet on. The energy from the TNT crowd really helps, but unless I was running with a TNT'er I didn't get the full effect. They didn't really notice my TNT hat. Besides it would have been fun to have the Texas TNT'ers see the Westchester/Hudson Valley Chapter name on my back.

Even though it was much hotter then I'm used to the heat didn't bother me that much. I drank a lot, and at each aid station I made sure I dumped some water on my head. The ice cubes in the water was a nice touch. I love my water cold. At one water staion I took the cup of ice and poured it down my bra. That felt great!!!

Trade in my feet and shins for younger ones. :)
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around some, and found other BT folks.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough swim training, and nagging heel problems.

Event comments:

I really enjoyed this race, and Austin is a geat city. This race definately merits a return trip.

It was great meeting everyone.

Last updated: 2006-04-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:18 | 1640 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/17
Overall: 696/1226
Performance: Average
Suit: QR sleeveless
Course: Loop
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:11
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:13:00 | 24.85 miles | 20.42 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/17
Overall: 479/1226
Performance:
Wind: None
Course: 4 loops around downtown and along the river.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:20
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
01:08:07 | 06.21 miles | 10m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/17
Overall: 989/1226
Performance: Below average
Course: Two 5K loops.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-06-05 11:51 PM

User image

Expert
Westchester County NY
Subject: Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic

2006-06-06 7:55 AM
in reply to: #444405

User image

Extreme Veteran
Plymouth MA
Subject: RE: Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic
You did a great job in the Texas heat!!  Your bike time is smokin fast.  -to not letting the hybrids pass.
2006-06-06 9:22 AM

User image

Buttercup

Polly, great job on your tri! But what on earth were you doing in TEXAS of all places?!?!

Damn good job on the cycling. Your 'hybrid' motivation made me chuckle.

2006-06-06 11:17 PM
in reply to: #444636

User image

Expert
Westchester County NY
Renee - 2006-06-06 10:22 AM

Polly, great job on your tri! But what on earth were you doing in TEXAS of all places?!?!

Damn good job on the cycling. Your 'hybrid' motivation made me chuckle.

Since this is a "down year" for me in terms of goals I decided I'd go travel to some place that I've wanted to visit that happened to have a triathon.  So I've been hearing so many nice things about Austin I figured I'd go visit, and add another state to my places of having done a triathlon.

New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Texas.  10 down go 40 to go.  I'd have Missouri if nationals had not gotten rained out.  At this point I'm not planning to revisit there.

2006-06-11 12:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX (West of Houston)

Polly...congrats on the race!  I love your competitiveness...you are a girl after my own heart!  I thoroughly enjoyed your race report.  9/17 is pretty darn good!

I was so nice to meet you!  I was totally enthralled by your race stories and experiences that you shared when we were at Dennis' house.

Here is the link to the pics I took at Dennis'...

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/photos/photo-thumbnails.asp?albumid=2587

Hope to see you next year!

2006-06-11 2:25 PM
in reply to: #445640

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431

New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Texas. 10 down go 40 to go. I'd have Missouri if nationals had not gotten rained out. At this point I'm not planning to revisit there.

Let me know when you're gonna race in MA or NH.  Would love to meet up with you 

Great race!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Rss Feed