General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tips for hot weather running? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-07-02 1:38 PM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
Subject: Tips for hot weather running?

Now that it's routinely in the high 90's around here (SE Mich) which is not common every year, I find myself struggling through my evening runs.  Unfortunately, my job doesn't afford me the luxury of running in the AM.  Last week, I muddled through a 2 mile run post ride (no problem on the ride with the breeze) when it was about 100 degrees.  I took my pace down some, took electrolyte liquid as I ran and super hydrated after.  I still ended up with a 16 hour headache through the night.  And that was just 2 miles after a 16 mile ride.

Today is speed work.  I hate having to compromise my prescribed pace.  I guess there's not really a choice when you're not acclimated to the temp in which you're training.  I would love to hear some tips from those of you who deal with this type of weather more than just every so often regarding keeping your pace up and avoided heat exhaustion.

2012-07-02 1:49 PM
in reply to: #4290857

User image

Expert
Chicago
Subject: RE: Tips for hot weather running?

Were you taking fluids on your ride?  We don't feel ourselves sweat as much riding, but it's still happening.  Headache sounds like dehydration, which might not have gotten too bad on a 2 mile run, but might have if you were going for over an hour (between ride and run).  As far as "keeping up pace", you're going to lose something in the heat.  Don't try to fight it too much.  Stay hydrated throughout the day.  Consider supplementing with NUUN in your water or something similar that provides some sodium and other electrolytes.  A slushy right before running can help bring your internal temp down a bit and there have been some studies that show that this has been effective to enhance performance (but will not last as you get into longer runs).  If you're running near home or a track and can set out some extra water to dump on your head from time to time, that might help you to cool off too.  Also check out the following, which has a few tips as well as some guidance on what to expect as far as running slower in the heat.

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/Summer-Runs-How-to-Acclimate-to-the-Heat.htm?cmp=291&memberid=104818332&lyrisid=20860477

Good luck!

Edited by Ershk 2012-07-02 1:51 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tips for hot weather running? Rss Feed