General Discussion Race Reports! » Marquee Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Marquee Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tempe, Arizona
United States
Red Rock Co.
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 04m 16s
Overall Rank = 166/222
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 14/16
Pre-race routine:

I signed up for this race a couple weeks after what I had hoped was going to be my first Olympic Triathlon, the SuperSeal in Coronado Island that I had trained hard for the past 3 months. However, San Diego was hit with the worst storm of the year and the race was reduced to only a 5K. I ended up not even going and was completely dissappointed. I stopped training for a couple weeks after that and found the Marquee Olympic Tri in mid April. With 3-4 weeks of little to no training (2 weeks taper prior to race and 2 weeks doing nothing after race), I got back into it and tried to gain back some of the fitness for the two next two weeks before the Marquee Oly.
Swim
  • 35m 18s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 09s / 100 yards
Comments:

I felt good throughout but had some trouble staying in a straight line since I was only breathing to my left. I stopped for about 30 seconds about 200m out to clear out the nasty lake water building up in my goggles.
What would you do differently?:

More time in the pool
Transition 1
  • 03m 29s
Bike
  • 1h 16m 56s
  • 25 miles
  • 19.50 mile/hr
Comments:

I was really happy with my bike time, but I knew I was pushing so hard. I felt very motivated and had high adrenaline while I would pass up people with faster bikes or looked more fit. The whole course had some type of headwind in every direction we were riding it that made it tough. I ended up taking a gel 20 minutes in and an hour in and dranked a lot of water to help dilude the gels. I regret doing this since I have never practiced taking gels during my training. I broke the cardinal rule to never try anything new on race day and I paid the price on the run.

more time in the saddle, doing more intervals and hill work.
Transition 2
  • 03m 28s
Run
  • 1h 05m 3s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 10m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

I really suffered during the run, I didn't cramp during the swim and bike, but pushing on the bike so hard, I paid for it on the run. I started cramping in my right quad a quarter mile in and stopped at the aid station to stretch and massage it while taking in oranges and gatorade. I would be able to run fine for a mile and start having really bad leg cramps in both my quads. I've never felt this much pain on the run and kept pushing through with constantly squatting to stretch out the quads and taking in gatorade and gels and waters at the aid stations. It was very encouraging to me whenever someone would ask how i was doing or saying that i could do it and keep going. I ended up running side by side with someone who helped me finish the last half mile of the run, he was totally awesome! Thank you!

Keep running more, shoot for at minimum 4x a week for runs.
Post race
Warm down:

Got some fluids in and had their free breakfast/lunch they offered after the race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Poor training leading up to this impromptu race.

Event comments:

Overall, I'm glad I entered even though I was not as prepared physically and mentally as I was preparing for my SuperSeal race which was in March 18th.

Last updated: 2012-06-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:18 | 1640 yards | 02m 09s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/16
Overall: 206/222
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra Vortex 3
Course: Rectangular course
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average