General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Not following plan; still use recovery week? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-07-02 2:39 PM

Regular
Chicago
Subject: Not following plan; still use recovery week?
I'm not using any training plan but have established a 2-swim, 2-bike, 3-run regimen I like and that's allowing me to build up time with each passing week.

I notice all the structured plans dial back the workouts for a week every third or fourth week. Since I've been increasing all my times each week I'm wondering if I should start doing this, too. Anybody else just working out on their own schedule have any opinions on this?

2012-07-02 2:50 PM
in reply to: #4291046

User image

Chicago
Subject: RE: Not following plan; still use recovery week?

I would listen to your body.  If you're still feeling strong and still building with few issues, I think you're fine.

The whole idea of not following a schedule is to get away from the "science" of these programs and just listen to your body and fit what you can into your own calendar.

This is how I train.  No schedule...my heavy weeks are ones that are lighter in other parts of my life, ones when weather permits good workouts, etc.  My light weeks are ones that are busy at work, etc.  Beyond that, I listen to my body and back off if I think I need rest, or keep building if I'm feeling strong.

Eventually I'm sure you'll have to back off a bit...you can't increase your times forever.

2012-07-02 3:09 PM
in reply to: #4291072

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Hopefully someone with education in this area will answer, but I do believe you need to cycle your training.  You might be able to tweak the cycle "based on your body" but this is a pretty commonly accepted practice.   Gains are made during the recovery phase.
2012-07-02 3:20 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
At times you may want to 'plateau' for a week or more.  At times you may want to dial back a little.  But, in general, there is no reason you need a 'rest week' ever 2 or 3 or 4 or whatever.  Some people just find it easier to train that way and like both the physical and mental break that the 'rest week' can provide.  But, if you build gradually, then your body may get most of the recovery it needs in between your workouts without dialing back for a week.
2012-07-02 3:39 PM
in reply to: #4291138

User image

Agree with Johnny...there is no need to take a rest/recovery/easy week unless you actually feel the need to.  Recovery happens anytime you are not training...so even if you train 2 hours everyday, you're still getting about 22 hours of recovery between workouts.

As you get more experience with your training, you can start to anticipate when you will need additional recovery.  So there is nothing wrong with planning a recovery period around that...but I see no reason to take a recovery week/day just because it falls on the calandar as every 2, 3, 4th week. 

2012-07-02 4:41 PM
in reply to: #4291188

Regular
Chicago
That sounds logical. This week's going to be busy between work and the holiday anyway, so I'll probably just give myself permission to slack off a little since I've been increasing for six or seven weeks now. Next week should be back to a regular schedule so I'll continue building then.

2012-07-02 6:59 PM

User image

Master
Grand Prairie

My wife is always less motivated and energized at the time of her month.

So this is her natural rest week.

I normally go along with her "plan".

Personally a "rest week" means that my long run is a bit shorter...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Not following plan; still use recovery week? Rss Feed