General Discussion Race Reports! » Mooseman Triathlon Festival - International Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Mooseman Triathlon Festival - International Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Bristol, New Hampshire
United States
50sF / 0C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 17m 59s
Overall Rank = 22/569
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 5/60
Pre-race routine:

I did everything against my own racing philosophy. I didn't do a prep workout which helps me stay sharp and ready for the race. I was supposed to drive up to NH the day before the race and stay at a friend’s house but things got complicated so i decided to drive up there on the race AM. Probably not a smart idea as I wake up at 3:30am with just a few hrs of sleep. The weather was awful and it was rainy ALL the way (2 hrs drive) this didn’t help as I never got pumped up to race under those conditions.
Event warmup:

NONE >>> 2nd big mistake. I did jump in the water and swim a few 100 yds but I didn't stretch at all and didn’t run my routine 10 min with speed pick ups to get muscles warm and ready. i also forget to take my salt tablet and gu before te race (great job Jorge!)
Swim
  • 22m 57s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 24s / 100 yards
Comments:

I never got into my swimming rhythm I felt constricted with the wetsuit and I couldn't draft at all. I also forgot to hit my HT monitor lap buttom 2 tims to start the timer. half way through I took a pick to my time to see if i needed to pick up the pace and i realized my mistake! (jeezzz)
I was having issue keeping my navigation straight and I felt I was swimming but my arms were not pulling enough water to propel me forward. WEIRD. On the last 400-500 yds I tried to stick with a couple of guys and I began to push harder and harder. All of the sudden CRAMP! yup crampred my left calf and hurt like a bitch!
What would you do differently?:

uummm still thinking
Transition 1
  • 01m 18s
Comments:

it was chilly so i took a bit more time than usual
Bike
  • 1h 15m 59s
  • 27.34 miles
  • 21.59 mile/hr
Comments:

WTF!!! As soon as I started biking HR was through the roof (180+) and my legs felt heavy and without energy. My left calf was still in pain from the swimming cramp and I was having some issue keeping cadence. I try to stand up and stretch it and work a bit but it was painful.it was rainy ALL the time. This made handling a bit iffy at some portions but nothing too bad. I was keeping an eye on my power meter and I was NOT pushing big watts to be that tired. All of the sudden power tap stop working due to rain so I had no cadence, speed or watts anymore. I had to ride blinded with HR. In my mind i was fighting hard to speed up and gain some time but I obviously didn't. According to my plan by now I was supposed to be fighting with the top 10 places. I came out of the water like top 20 but I was not gaining time on anyone and in fact some guys passed me... very frustrating. I tend to drink 24 oz of sports drink per hour plus gel but I lost my gel on a downhill and I barely finished one bottle at the end of the ride. I knew I was just executing poorly due to my frustration and the run was going to be hard. (I began the run in a deficit nutrition wise)

stll thinking about this
Transition 2
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

I am surpsied I did this T somehow fast. my feet wear numb from the cold while riding so I wasn't able to put on my sneackers as fast as usual.
Run
  • 36m 42s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 05m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

I knew I was in trouble when I began running, I felt legs heavy and I was thirsty already (NOT A GOOD SIGN). I began taking salt tables like candy to avoid more cramping (left calf was still bitching at me) and began drinking as much as possible. At around mile one in the 1st water station I drank like 3 Gatorade cups. I began to feel a bit better and legs began to loosen up. I figure I was ready to fight one more time and catch some guys to at least rescue a top 15 place overall. But NOOOO! Since I drank too much water at once, now all of the sudden I was having a fucking side stitch and it was hurting like a mother f---er! *sigh* I thought “wtf is going on today?” My run is MY leg and I should be catching people. 2 guys passed me and that was it, that began to break me and I began losing it. I figure I should quit, stop, walk, and bag the race all together. I was still running and saw my split for my second mile and it was like 6:20 (when it was suppose to be like 5:30). I came VERY close to stop but then this voice stuck in my head telling me: “if I quit now, it will become easier to quit in the future” is that what I want? I was having a bad day but for some reason I kept going and began to focus on each step. I focused on my running form, I began to count my steps to make sure I was running 90 cadence, I flat my back look up straight and relax my shoulders. I knew my legs were having issues so I used my arms to lead up the way (TIP FOR YOU GUYS: Arms ALWAYS set up the pace, not the legs, If the arms move with rhythm legs will follow and pace will improve ;)) by mile 3 my split drop back to 5:55 so I began to regain confidence. I never lost sight of 5 guys in front of me I just felt I was not going to be able to catch them. We came down to the turn around an legs began to feel a lot better, so I decided to give it another go. A couple of guys slowed down to drink at the aid station and I passed those two! (Another tip: never waste time drinking on the last 20-25 min before the end. Your stomach won’t have enough time to absorb it and it will only slow you down) I now was running relax, side stitch was gone and cramping was in check. I could see the other 3 guys and I could se another 2 at the distance. I began to pick up the pace and mile 4 was at 5:30. Passed another 2 guys and kept going, I got close to another one and passed it, split my watch at mile 5 and pace was now 5:20! I made a deal to endure the pain and just to run as fast a possible. I passed another 2 guys and saw the final turn to the finish line. This one guy was ahead of me so I sprint my life out and passed him with, with like 100 yds to go I saw another guy and ran as fat as I could I didn’t pass him but I finished 2 seconds behind him. I checked my pace for the last 1.1 mile and it was 5:55, ;) yup that’s 5:13 per mile.

I guess nothing... I survived it and it is all that matters
Post race
Event comments:

It was a hard race indeed. I got over confident; I didn’t approach it seriously enough and ended up paying for it. (I deserved a bad race) My body was also still fatigue from FL 70.3 not to race but yes to post a fast time. I also made some stupid mistakes but live and learn, you can’t ever be so relax that you lose focus of the ultimate goal.
I got smack back to reality and it is a good thing. Achieving good results is just the result of hard worn and constant race preparation. But we have to be consistent ALL the time in order to avoid having a bad day. Finally it is impossible to have good races all the time, and we’ll always have good days and bad days. Yes a good race are awesome and makes us feel cool and regain motivation, but bad races are great because it enables us to continue learning, keep us real and honest and most important to keep us hungry and to continue pursuing our dreams and strive for THAT perfect race :
THANK YOU BTers for supporting me :)

Last updated: 2006-05-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:57 | 1640 yards | 01m 24s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/60
Overall: 46/569
Performance: Below average
Suit: yes
Course: nice
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:18
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:15:59 | 27.34 miles | 21.59 mile/hr
Overall: 32/569
Performance:
Wind:
Course: wet and hilly but not as bad for such a BAD split time
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: ?
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:06
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:36:42 | 06.21 miles | 05m 55s  min/mile
Overall: 8/569
Performance:
Course: a few hills
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-06-06 8:03 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Subject: Mooseman Triathlon Festival - International Distance

2006-06-06 8:17 AM
in reply to: #444521

User image

Extreme Veteran
Somerville
Subject: RE: Mooseman Triathlon Festival - International Distance

Wow Jorge, what an amazing race report. I am sorry you had a bad race, but your fortitude and commitment are awe inspiring. I am glad to see that you elite athletes are still a little human!! HA!

I will always remember this report when I race.

When will you start doing the Walden swims this year?

2006-06-06 8:22 AM

User image

Master
Colorado

I liked the run leg part of this report. It's always good to keep putting on foot in front of the other, even if we don't want to. I'm really glad you didn't bag the race; that says something really awesome about you.

Can't wait to see how you approach the next one...

2006-06-06 8:26 AM

User image

Master
Bronze member
THANK YOU for doing this race report...I see in this report a true athlete- who was humbled by & learned froma bad day- of course YOUR bad day is a race SOME of us can only dream about !! LOL- The kick at the end ..to me says it all- you knew you were "off', you were frustrated, you knew you weren't going to meet your goals- but gave it your all at the end.
I know you will analyze every piece of your training & racing- and use it to get- better, faster, stronger..GO JORGE...!!!!
2006-06-06 8:34 AM

User image

Pro
MA

From your report, I can see some negatives and positives. 

-ve:  you raced in bad weather conditions
you had not enough rest after the FL 1/2
you made mistakes
it was a bad day in general

+ve:  even with your "poor" performance, you were still at the top of your AG 
You got over the cramps and ran with negative splits
You didn't quit
You didn't have the urge to go to the bathroom during your run   

Great job, Jorge! 

2006-06-06 8:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Plymouth MA

Jorge...it was nice to meet you this weekend!

Sorry you had a bad race. ..definitely a learning experience for you.   You are still incredibly fast in those tough conditions!!

Those are good tips about your arms leading you, and also not drinking toward the end of the run...thanks.

2006-06-06 9:22 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

I know you are disappointed with the race Jorge.  But I also KNOW that you will come back and get it done another day.  The reason I know this is becazuse of this attitude:

“if I quit now, it will become easier to quit in the future” is that what I want?

Obviously, your answer was a resounding NO!!!  You could easily have packed it in when you realized things were not going as you had planned, but instead you refocused and turned in a pretty very impressive run.  The results say you were 8min or 12 places away from your goal.  But you are closer than you think.

2006-06-06 9:45 AM

User image

Elite
New City, New York
Great determination and even in your "despair" you are able to share some great tips w/ the BT community. Plenty of good came out of this experience for you and us. Thanks Jorge!

Edited by rollinbones 2006-06-06 9:46 AM
2006-06-06 10:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
CT
Thank you for being an inspiration. Even on a bad day you find a way to encourage the rest of us to keep on training and trying to improve ourselves. You point out mistakes that you made and teach us all that no matter what quitting is not an option most of us would like to live with.

Thanks for the race report.! even though you didn't want to
2006-06-06 12:17 PM

Expert
Jorge...these are the races that make you stronger and faster. It's easy to go fast on the days you feel great but to overcome those lows that can happen on race day is invaluable.

Keep up the training and you will put together that race you have been looking for.

Mark
2006-06-06 1:44 PM

User image

Expert
Manchester, NH
Hey Jorge,Truly inspirational. Way to hang tough on a "bad" day! You are one crazy fast dude. Thanks for the RR.

2006-06-06 8:11 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
That was an amazing race in tough conditions.  And you just qualified for WORLDS a couple weeks ago.  I have no concept of how anyone can possibly run that fast. 
2006-06-06 9:20 PM

Champion

I think you still had a fantastic race and you certainly are one of my inspirations.  Every time in my own 1/2 marathon when I thought about walking, I said to myself "Jorge would never walk here...he would just keep running" so that's what I did.  It was a tough day for racing, with the cold temperature and the rain, and lots of us do better in the warmer weather.  At least you learn things about your body and what you can do under bad conditions.  The goal is still not to give up and when things are going bad, you readjust and make the best of it.

Thanks for hanging around on Sunday too.  Seeing you cheering me on at the end of the first bike loop and at the start of the run made me feel a lot better.  You're a great motivator for everyone here and it's a pleasure to watch you race!

2006-06-06 9:30 PM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
You are awesome and inspiring and determined. Thanks for a fantastic race report. You are ALWAYS giving to us BTers, and it is so cool that you are still giving even when you have a bad day.
2006-06-06 9:35 PM

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah

Thanks, Jorge!  You are an inspiration to us all.  Too many athletes at your level, having a bad day would do exactly what you were tempted to do, that is throw in the towel.  Your determination in finishing the race, learning from it, and being willing to share your downfalls with those of us here in BT land speaks volumes about you!  And those volumes are filled with greatness.

You're story reminded me of a poem called "The Race" -- which I could recite but I'll spare you that, but the last line of the poem goes something like this

"Lifes battles don't always go to the stronger or faster man, but sooner or late the man who wins, is the man who thinks he can!" 

My observation, you think you can, and you do!   Great job.  Your next race will be better, I can guarantee it!

Edited by UTTriman 2006-06-06 9:36 PM
2006-06-06 10:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Roseville, California

Way to persevere through tough conditions! And one heck of a blazing run! That would be the run of a lifetime for most of us mere mortals.  I'm sure the toughest part was the mental challenge to turn things around on the run. Once the idea of quitting creeps into your head, it's hard to shake it--but you did, and with style.

I'd just chalk this up to a very good learning experience. I'm sure your pro card is just around the corner.

Congrats!

2006-06-07 8:18 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

Thank you everyone for the awesome responses! It is hard to remain upset, pessimistic or down with the fantastic support
I am back to normal and training with just one thing in my mind: to improve, get better and faster! I am yet to redefine my season goals but I think I’ll focus a bit more on the 70.3 Championship while I continue to develop speed for the Oly distance/pro card.

On a side note after analyzing thoroughly my bike leg I think I now what was the biggest factors affecting my speed and causing the “death legs” feeling: since I race with a power tap I bought a plastic disc cover for my back wheel and aero Hed wheel in front for races. (I used this combo at FL) the problem is that the disc if not fitted correct on the rim it rubs it with the chain on my smallest gear (39/23) For FL this wasn’t a problem cause the course was a pretty flat but for Mooseman which is a hilly course it affected as I didn’t have my easiest gear for climbing.

On top of that before I drove to the race I took my wheels off to place my bike in the car as it was raining and I didn’t want to rack my back on the trunk. BUT (another important here for you guys to remember) since I did it on a hurry I didn’t shift the gearing all the way to the biggest gear on the back (11). Why is this important? Well if you don’t do this when you place your back wheel on again you might risk to be placing the chain in the wrong gear (which I did) and since you have your bike tune to shift in a particular range previously set this can affect your gearing. For me THAT happened and it was my 2nd mistake! 

Having the 39/23 combo useless my next smallest gear combination for climbing was 39/21 but due to my 2nd mistake the chain wasn’t engaging and it was jumping so I lost my 2 easiest gear for climbing. Adding to that the fact I had no cadence, speed and power since the power tap wasn’t working I pretty much hammered every hill climbing out of the saddle at low cadence (which I NEVER do) while trying to push hard enough to avg 23 mph, and that ended up toasting my legs within 10-15 miles of the ride. THAT’S WHY I felt my legs so bad. Of course I still was carrying fatigue over from FL but not that much to feel my legs the way… Oh well good stuff for learning!

2006-06-07 2:45 PM

User image

Expert
wrightsville beach, North Carolina

ditto isis54.   Thank you jorge for the tips and concise race report.

The weather also was a large factor in many racers day, so give yourself a little break.

2006-06-07 5:48 PM

User image

Master
La Crosse
“if I quit now, it will become easier to quit in the future” is that what I want?

Yeah, that's what it's all about.

This was an awesome race report. It's like watching "Hoosiers" or, god forbid, "Rudy". A nail-biter; a come-from behind underdog story.

Loved it. You rock.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mooseman Triathlon Festival - International Distance Rss Feed