General Discussion Race Reports! » Mountaineer Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Mountaineer Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Morgantown, West Virginia
United States
HFP Racing
76F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 37m 4s
Overall Rank = 8/66
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 2/8
Pre-race routine:

WOW-So lets start with Thursday pre-race. They CHANGED the bike course. It was shortened AGAIN, 4 days out! Which means more loops. Saturday the website posted the run course would be shortened due to extreme weather predicted (86/78 46% humidity) quit the lying-you didnt secure enough volunteers. So the CHANGED run is a 1.5 mile out an back loop. Also at registration saw swim start was set back another 5 minutes from website.
So I did my normal routine of getting ready-breakfast, gear, and drive to transition. They somehow assign a row (lettered) and it's a free for all in the row. PS row H was empty for some reason-nice planning. Announcements are being made via speakers and they announce that due to safety-when making your return loop on the bike--YOU WILL NEED TO UNCLIP, DISMOUNT, AND RUN THROUGH TRANSITION, THEN REMOUNT!!! How stupid. Another CHANGE
Event warmup:

Body marked my leg that's it--ps saw them pull down someones calf sleeve to mark them, then pulled it back up-WTF
Bike check-using a 8c bracelet to mark my bike that matches my wrist.
such a crappy bike number I know there won't be any officials on the course, they wont be able to read bike number.
Wondering why so many NON-athletes are in transition.
No helmet number
Run number was a goofy square that didnt match running belt (1/2 clip and 1/2 safetty pin)
Start was delayed for womens and sprint and early for OLY. I know b/c all I heard was 60 seconds OLY start! funny b/c yesterday it had been moved back! rush to water.
Swim
  • 31m 29s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

Were swimming laps in a river-STUPID. This race used to be out an back. It should be point to point. Why we were so close to shore I also don't understand.
What would you do differently?:

Not do this race. Change the swim back, bike back, and quit making CHANGES within days of the race and I'll reconsider.
Transition 1
  • 00m 49s
Comments:

Kept to my rule of sub1:00
I don't have my second time through transition 1, after 1st bike loop.
Didn't like the long run from water to T1.

Not do this race. Change the swim back, bike back, and quit making CHANGES within days of the race and I'll reconsider.
Bike
  • 1h 20m 40s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.48 mile/hr
Comments:

As if there isn't enough wrong with this race. Apparently my bike time was lost. According to the results I did it in 40:25. I have total time on my watch. I suspect when I came INTO TRANSITION after first loop there was a problem with my second loop and entering T2. I also don't have a T2. Thanks watch.

Transition 2
  • 00m 44s
Comments:

Stuck with my rule #1

Run
  • 43m 22s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

Starts to get pretty crowded on the trail. cramping was alleviated by electrolytes tab quartered and eaten solid-weird.

Post race
Warm down:

Medal as I crossed finish
Helped myself to bowls of watermelon, cookies, water, fruit punch from jugs (thught the race was sponsored by infint-guess not). Saw results on screen saw I placed 2nd in A/G and was handed a plaque. No checking to confirm. Scouts honor apparently, sadly no awards ceremony. I know alot of people do this as their first race. Sad that this is their first experience to triathlon.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

swimming upstream twice
hills on the bike twice
cramping on the run

Event comments:

Do NOT do this race.
Seeing as it is one of the only races in morgantown (SSS WVU hospitals/BOPARC/Habitat race) I understand if you must.
Dont expect a fast swim
Train on HILLS with EASY gearing
Be ready for mile repeats as the run
Be ready for crowded transition with no officials.
I hope they give it up and someone else decides to manage it.
It has gotten SMALLER every year. River loops, bike loops, and now run loops.
If they change the swim back, bike back, and quit making CHANGES within days of the race and I'll reconsider.
Sad so sad, my allegiance to this race has died.
THANK YOU to all volunteers and congrats to all competitors. Also THANK YOU to all the police, good seeing you guys again.

Last updated: 2012-07-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:29 | 1640 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/8
Overall: 0/66
Performance: Average
Suit: Orca S3
Course: Jump -NOT DIVE-from dock 2X2 (Downstream, upstream, downstream, upstream) 2 LOOPS counter clockwise AGAINST the shoreline. Long again this year. help yourself out the water via dock floating in 4.5 feet of water. Don't worry the lifeguards are watching you.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:49
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:20:40 | 24.85 miles | 18.48 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/8
Wind: Little
Course: STUPID 2 loops with 4 catV hill climbs. your doing b/w 7-10mph or 45-55mph. reduce the weight of your bike-bring 2 gears. turnaround was in a gravel parking lot. Police this year were at it. no officials at womens/sprint turnaround.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:44
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:43:22 | 06.21 miles | 06m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/8
Course: FLAT-out and back out and back. Along the hottest section of the course. One aid station-DID GREAT. water and infinit provided. You'd think all the mile markers would be the same seeing as it was only a multiple loop course depending on your distnace-NOPE! Looks like someone put out the signs as if the course wasnt shortened b/c there were markers everywhere! Finish is down a hill adjacent to the turnaround (confusing) then across ampitheatre then uphill then downhill to underpass. SAD SO SAD
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 1

{postbutton}
2012-07-03 10:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Mountaineer Triathlon - Olympic Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mountaineer Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed