General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Sprint This Saturday - First time Nerves Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-07-03 11:54 AM

Veteran
Central Mass
Subject: First Sprint This Saturday - First time Nerves

First race is this Saturday, I have worked pretty hard to prepare. Lost 20 lbs or so. Struggled through running pain, calves always a problem. Bike is ok, recent swims in the wetsuit are a problem, can't breathe. So I think I will swim without the suit.  With all the work I have done, I kinda would like to place in my age group ( 47 ), I can be a bit competitive.  I am having a hard time with the just enjoy your first race idea.  Can anyone chime in on the first race wanting to do well and not just finish.

2012-07-03 12:01 PM
in reply to: #4292773

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: First Sprint This Saturday - First time Nerves
Enjoy the race.  My first Sprint I was extremley nervous but had a great time.  My only advice would be to just TRY to relax and race your race don't get caught up in what/how everyone else is doing around you.  You will be so jacked up that you can push yourself harder than you wanted to.
2012-07-03 12:05 PM

User image

Pro
PESawyer - 2012-07-03 11:54 AM

First race is this Saturday, I have worked pretty hard to prepare. Lost 20 lbs or so. Struggled through running pain, calves always a problem. Bike is ok, recent swims in the wetsuit are a problem, can't breathe. So I think I will swim without the suit.  With all the work I have done, I kinda would like to place in my age group ( 47 ), I can be a bit competitive.  I am having a hard time with the just enjoy your first race idea.  Can anyone chime in on the first race wanting to do well and not just finish.

Sure....I will. 

I think it's a great attitude, I had the same one......now prepare to get your arse handed to you. Laughing

You're likely not going to believe how fast some guys are well into their 50's.

2012-07-03 12:10 PM

User image

Expert
Chicago

Just remember that however hard you've trained to get ready for your first, there will be seasoned racers out there too who have been doing this for years, have put in lots of work and are just as competitive.  I'm not saying you can't or won't make the podium.  Comments like "bike is ok" and "calves always a problem" suggest that you might be setting yourself up for disappointment if its "podium or bust". 

What I think you need to do is find the middle ground to "do well" that lies between placing and just finishing.  What has your pace been on your rides?  Try to go .xx mph faster.  What has your average pace been on training runs?  Try to at least match it (I'd say, try to go :xx/mile faster, but don't discount how that first run might feel in a race situation after swimming and biking).  It looks like you have a few more races planned later in the summer too.  Go all out in the sprint, see what you can do, and then use that as a benchmark for the next one.  Have some purpose that relates to how you've been training, don't worry too much about others, and enjoy it at least a little.

2012-07-03 12:33 PM

Veteran
Central Mass

I appreciate the input, this forum is always a great help.

I have looked at the times from last year and certainly won't be the slowest.  I remember last year there were a lot of nice bikes and experienced looking people.  I did the ride portion only on my mountain bike and other people did the swim and run.  My 20+ year old roadie is a bit better for the ride but not by much.  It doesn't seem like there is much of a need for too much in nutrition for a Sprint, any suggestions.

2012-07-03 12:38 PM

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont
PESawyer - 2012-07-03 12:54 PM

So enjoy the jitters. Those first time jitters only happen once. Get nervous. Wonder how you'll stack up. Then find out. 

If you enjoy competition, then compete. Don't let anyone else define how you find enjoyment out of your first Tri. I'm the same way and had to race hard at my first tri this past weekend. I don't regret it one bit. I suppose I could have gone too hard and payed a price, but it was a sprint and I wasn't too concerned if what I found out was that I went out too hard. There'll always be another race to join, but only one time to see how you measure up in your first tri ever.

Give it all you got. 

2012-07-03 12:51 PM

Connecticut

I trained pretty hard ( at least i think i did) for my first sprint (4 weeks ago).  i wanted to do well and not just finish as well.  almost everyone that races is in decent shape.  i looked over the results from this sprint for the last couple of years and had some target times in mind.  long story short.  i placed 60/169 in my first sprint tri.  i ran the same course for my second sprint tri and placed 28/179 (5/43 in AG 40-49(almost eight minutes faster the second time in the swim alone) only two weeks after i raced the first sprint.  my downfall was my swim in my first sprint race.  i started smack in the middle and went out to hard.  i ended up winded and not able to catch my breath at all.  breast stroke most of the race.  i was "pissed".  i finished but it was an ugly swim 128/169.  i biked and ran pretty well 32/169.  my second sprint (same course) i swam better (not great) and i biked and ran 1 minute faster each than my previous attempt.  bottom line, take your time on the swim.  OWS was not like the pool at all.  i swam in the lake where the race was 3 times before the race and it was not enough to prepare me for the race conditions.  it gets choppy and there are lots of people around bumping .  your addrenaline will be flowing being it is your first race (most likely).  you will be faster the second time you race a sprint.  no worries on the first one.  learn your pace/strengths/weaknesses.  you will probably do better than you think you will. YMMV.

cheers.  have fun and kick A@#.

2012-07-03 12:59 PM

Veteran
Central Mass
Lucky for me the race is in my own town so I have trained on the bike and run course.  Swam in the lake a few times and practiced my transitions.  Just getting the competitive nerves.  I have not done the OWS with other people so my plan is to be to the outside and try not to get to mixed up with everyone.  I will do my best to kick my own , work hard.  Its good to talk about it.
2012-07-03 1:00 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

I penned an article for BT about that first race experience. 

Remember that looks can be deceptive!  Some of those people you think will be fast...aren't...and some who don't look fast will completely dust you. 

Enjoy the day, smile, and thank everyone. 

2012-07-03 2:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Torrance, CA
First race - do the best you can.  Go as hard as you can go.  Realize that you aren't going to beat more seasoned triathletes.  There's no one for you to be realistically competitive against - so compete against yourself.  Since this is your first race - you don't have a baseline to go off of.  So form a base line.  
2012-07-03 2:38 PM

Veteran
Central Mass
I guess its from a lifetime of participating in contact sports and winning was always the main plan and not just doing your best.  I am excited for it and the input from everyone is great to help me put things in perspective.  I thought I was hooked on tri just from the training, we will see how it is after the race. 

2012-07-03 2:45 PM
in reply to: #4293261

User image

Master
Denison Texas

PESawyer - 2012-07-03 2:38 PM I guess its from a lifetime of participating in contact sports and winning was always the main plan and not just doing your best.  I am excited for it and the input from everyone is great to help me put things in perspective.  I thought I was hooked on tri just from the training, we will see how it is after the race. 

There is nothing wrong with wanting to race a race! You have done competitive events before so you probably have some experience in not winning. Maybe you will place, maybe you won't; race your plan and see what happens. FWIW I always try to beat someone even if it is just some unsuspecting rabbit down the course I am focused on-it is a race after all, there is a timing chip strapped to my ankle and everyone will flock around the results as soon as they are posted so I can't help but conclude the results matter at least a little bit.

2012-07-03 2:45 PM
in reply to: #4292812

Veteran
Summerfield, NC
Left Brain - 2012-07-03 12:05 PM
PESawyer - 2012-07-03 11:54 AM

Sure....I will. 

I think it's a great attitude, I had the same one......now prepare to get your arse handed to you. Laughing

You're likely not going to believe how fast some guys are well into their 50's.

x2  You won't believe the speed that some of these guys race at.    Depending on the size of the race and who shows up, you probably will have guys in their 40's placing really high overall (top 10-20) with maybe a top 3 mixed in. 

Look at past results if possible and figure out from your training times what seems to be an aggresive but realistic finishing place.  

2012-07-03 11:13 PM

New user
Northern Alberta
Finished my first sprint two weeks ago and felt the same as you. Nervous!
Did know how fast I was one the swim b/c or was spool swim but on the bike, I took the advice from a poster on BT, and just divided on picking off the next person in front of me I finished 4/40 on the bike.
We won't talk about run although I did the run I had planned.
2012-07-03 11:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
Even after several aces, (all open water ocean swims), I still get nervous. You will be amazed at the confidence you will gain and fears that will subside when you do this. To compete is fine, butbe prepared to be passed a lot and probably you will learn a lot you will do differently next Rae etc Nutrition: keep it simple and don't over think it. Train with what ou will use in race. Work it out . Finally, just enjoy it.
2012-07-03 11:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
In my first race, I had failed to do a brick workout prior. I was stunned how dead my legs were off the bike. Never felt that before. If you've done a brick or two, you will be ready for this. In the swim for my first start, I stood to side and waited 10 seconds or so and let the experienced guys go. Then swim went fine.

2012-07-03 11:54 PM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ

There's nothing wrong with be competitive, but just make sure you race YOUR race...Don't get caught up in trying to stay with the front of the pack. For all we know there could be guys in your AG who have been doing this thing for the 15 years. Give it 100% and you're going to be happy whether you place or not.

Oh yeah, any sudden urges to sign up for your next race immediately after you're finished are completely normal. Wink

2012-07-04 11:21 PM
in reply to: #4292891

User image

Regular
PESawyer - 2012-07-03 12:33 PM

I have looked at the times from last year and certainly won't be the slowest.  I remember last year there were a lot of nice bikes and experienced looking people.  I did the ride portion only on my mountain bike and other people did the swim and run.  My 20+ year old roadie is a bit better for the ride but not by much.  It doesn't seem like there is much of a need for too much in nutrition for a Sprint, any suggestions.

Don't do what I did for my first Sprint and over eat, you'll pay for it. Something light, typically something you'd normally eat before an early workout. Best not to try and experiment with something new the morning of the race. Trust me I have never wanted to vomit so badly in my life that day!!!! Water on the bike is fine and there will be some type of powerade or gatorade during the runs if you feel you need it. Have a blast out there and let us know how it goes!!

2012-07-05 5:30 AM

Just did my first sprint a month ago with the intentions of placing in the top 28 percent...then as the race got closer I adjusted my goal to top 10 percent based on training levels and studying the data from past races. I think by doing brick work-outs and really watching your workout times/results you get a decent gauge of you potential performance. Among the many wild-cards for me was T1 and T2. Put your estimates together and go for it! I think it's great to have a goal of other than just finishing...your "fun" will be the challenge of pushing yourself on race day...ask some family and friends to go and cheer you on...the support on race day is priceless.Keep your nutrition just like you've been using for training...have a Gu or something like that 15 minutes before you get off the bike and fly.Have "fun" in your own way.
2012-07-05 5:59 AM

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania

PESawyer - 2012-07-03 1:33 PM

There is a usually a vast gap between the slowest and the podium (speaking as a dedicated BOP'er). You can certainly make being the top X% a goal, but as others have said, it may not be realistic to place in your first race. 

As has been pointed out, you mentioned several things that would already slow you down. Your training logs are not up to date, but the 10 minute miles you posted in May would not put you anywhere near the podium, and if you haven't down an OWS in a tri, the experience is a little anxiety provoking for most people. Something the more experienced racers have strategized for.

If you make the podium the primary goal, you may end up being very disappointed. If you set predictions for your own times, and a rough estimate of where you would be in the field based on prior years' results, you have a much better chance of beating your predictions and thus enjoying the race. (Well, "enjoy" may be more the experience after the race. DURING the race, you may be suffering, especially if you are pushing yourself in a sprint...)

2012-07-05 1:24 PM

Veteran
Central Mass
It sounds like I have done most of what everyone has said.  After almost every bike ride I run at least a bit.  I have done a handful of OWS, last few have been disturbing in my wetsuit, having a tough time breathing, I didn't before, swimming again tonight both with and without the wetsuit to determine if I am going to use it.  Rode the bike yesterday, nothing crazy, July 4th cookout so I had to get home.  My run, last timed was just under 8min/mile, I know i haven't kept up the log so looking at the times from last year I should be in the top % for my age group if I just do what I have been doing for training.  If not I will blame my bike and tell ( ask ) my wife if I can get a enw one.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Sprint This Saturday - First time Nerves Rss Feed