World Triathlon Corporation
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 15h 12m 5s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Well, where to start. I've waited for a few days to write this for a couple reasons. Mostly because I left the day after the race to spend a week camping but also I wanted to let the day kind of settle in on me before I put things into words.
This was my first IM since 2008 and just getting here was an adventure. Two weeks before IM Canada in 2009 I tore the labrum in my hip so last year was my first back racing since then. I was happy just to be able to get to the start line.
I really like doing this race for a multitude of reasons, not the least of which is getting to sleep in my own bed! Never sleep very well before an IM and this race was no different. Woke at 0230 and was never really able to get back to sleep. Got up at 0400, had coffee and 2 waffles and 2 boiled eggs, and a glass of milk for breakfast. Got my son out of bed and headed for transition. Got body marked, parked my bags, aired up the tires, then just chilled out for a bit. Found Lisa at about 0615 and got lots of hugs and a kiss from my main cheerleader then headed for the beach.
Event warmup:

Nothing too exciting. Like others, I wasn't too thrilled with not being able to warm up but I managed to swim a few strokes in shallow water then just sat in the water for a bit to get acclimated. Found Martin Scates, Troy Nelson, and Conrad Band, all great local triathletes, and chatted for a bit then stepped back about 20 feet from the water and waited for the cannon to go bang.
Swim
  • 1h 13m 25s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started just about as far to the right as I could in an attempt to stay out of the crowds. It actually worked! The cannon went off and I just walked into the water, letting the fastest guys take off ahead of me. As soon as I was deep enough I took off swimming and actually had pretty clear water for the first 400-500 yards. There was occasional jostling but really nothing compared to other IM swims I've had. I naturally drift slightly to the left when I'm swimming so in starting way right I didn't have so do hardly any sighting until nearly at the first turn buoy. By the time I got there, I was still about 25 yards wide of it and sailed around without any trouble. The second turn buoy I was a little closer and had a little more crowd but not too bad. Hit the halfway point at 35 minutes and was feeling really good. That lasted about 100 yards into the second loop when the waves started to get pretty crazy. The wind chop got pretty serious on the second loop and for some reason I was in a bigger crowd than the first loop. The first turn buoy wasn't bad but things started to get pretty bound up on the second one. From there on in it was more of a struggle to find open water than any other time in the swim. Pretty weird since it usually opens up more then. The wind chop was good coming back into the beach though as you could kind of surf the waves and gain some time. Hit the beach, looked at my watch, and was really happy. Just a few seconds off my IM PR but that was a salt water swim in mirror smooth water at IM Florida so I'll claim this as my best IM swim ever.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 08m 30s
Comments:

Jogged up the beach and found a wetsuit stripper. Laid down, suit shucked, and started to get up when the guy next to me decided to swing his arms around like a crazy man and nailed me right in the side of the head! No harm really but I was a bit mystified by whatever it was he figured he was doing. Ran to my bag and headed into the tent. Found a chair right away and got my feet dried off, shoes on, helmet on, old sock arm warmers on, and out the door. Was pretty slow in here for some reason and not sure why but no big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Speed up a bit.
Bike
  • 6h 26m 25s
  • 112 miles
  • 17.39 mile/hr
Comments:

I knew this was going to be a long ride for me, based on the training rides I'd done on the course. I'm not a good climber so the long hills on this new course are really a challenge for me. There was a lot of talk when the course change was announced that this course would be faster given that it was less technical. Before the race my opinion was the only people who thought that were those who hadn't ridden it and race day seemed to back that up. As mentioned by others, the bike splits were significantly slower overall than on the previous course.
I started out feeling pretty good but trying to stay mellow and keep my HR under control. I must have sucked down a lot more lake water than I thought though as I had to pee no more than 4 or 5 miles into the bike. At the risk of TMI, it's a good thing I can pee on the bike because I had to go 7 times in the first 35 miles! Not the best scenario. Got out to Higgen's Point and back into town and started feeling good and warmed up, even though it was still a bit on the chilly side and spitting a few drops of rain. The first long climb I just stayed mellow and then pushed a little on the following downhill. Ate my second Uncrustable on the flats after the first climb, kept drinking Coke that I'd brought with me and the stuff from the aid stations, and taking 2 Endurolytes every 45-60 minutes. Endured the climbs out to the turn-around and started to push a little more on the way back into town. Got to the halfway point somewhere around 2:58 or so and was feeling pretty good. Stopped briefly at SN to pick up another bottle of coke and more Uncrustables. Back through town where I was again amazed at the crowds! The crowd at IMCDA is always great but this was the biggest crowd I think I've ever seen here. Just before the first long climb on the second loop my skewer came loose for some weird reason. Took me probably 5 or more minutes to get the wheel aligned and everything tightened up good again. Spent a little extra time making sure everything was right as I didn't want it coming loose again at 40+ MPH on a downhill. I had planned on the second loop being slower than the first, just because I'm not a climber and the hills take a lot out of me. The head winds out to the turn-around were getting a little stiffer but then the wind died about the time I hit the turn-around and so no help on the way back into town. Got rid of the disposable arm warmers at the last aid station before the turn and started enjoying the sushine. The last long climb at about mile 103 really hurts and I tried to just take it easy and spin up but at 218 lbs there's really no taking it easy on the hills! Got back to T2 and was happy to get off the bike feeling relatively good.

Not much other than not have mechanical issues.
Transition 2
  • 07m 30s
Comments:

This was a really slow T2 for me. The last IM I did this in 2:50. I did have to put on compression socks so that took extra time. I also ate an Uncrustable and got slathered with sunscreen so it all added up to a very slow T2.

Speed up.
Run
  • 7h 16m 15s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 16m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, here is where the wheels fell off. Actually, looking at my Garmin a week later, the first 4 miles I was exactly where I wanted to be and I was feeling good. About a 10:30 pace and felt like I could go a long way like this. Unfortunately about mile 4 my left IT band decided to seize up. I'd felt it just a little on the bike but it really wasn't an issue then. But it really started hurting with a vengence and I had to start walking. I tried to run every mile or so but couldn't get 10 steps without pretty severe pain so I made up my mind that I would just finish out the race by walking. Now, when you've trained your body to run and suddenly you tell it to walk 20+ miles, it's not going to be happy with you! This really hurt! Much worse than running would have I'm sure. The upside was that I got to enjoy the aid stations a lot more and chat with a few people doing the race since I wasn't concentrating on running. Got back into town and saw my family and friends which was awesome! Since I wasn't going to set any records I took the time to stop and say hi and high five lots of folks. I can't say enough how great it was to see my kids out there and to get big smiles and hugs from my grandkids! Spent a couple minutes with Lisa, telling her sorry, but it was going to be a long wait for me to get back into town to the finish. She's such a huge support though. She just encouraged me, more hugs and a kiss, and off for the second loop. Still tried to run every so often but no go. So, just tried to walk as fast as possible, which by the way, was still painful! About mile 22 some friends from work came by on bikes and rode alongside for awhile which helped take my mind off my legs. Then at mile 24 my brother and another friend found me and they walked back into town with me until I turned on to Sherman Ave. Saw lots of friends and family on the way down Sherman so stopped and got more hugs and high fives. Tried to run some more but still couldn't until I came to the finish chute. Then by some miracle I could slowly run the length of the chute, getting high fives from that awesome crowd and finding Lisa near the end and getting a finish kiss. Heard Mike Reilly call my name as a 4 time IM finisher and was done!

Not have my IT band seize up.
Post race
Warm down:

Got caught by a co-worker which was nice and slowly walked over to get my finish picture taken. Met up with family and visited for a minute then Lisa and I slowly made our way to the med tent to just sit down for a bit and visit with my co-workers. Stayed there for about 15 minutes, got some pictures taken, then slowly made my way back out to see my kids and grandkids.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Getting old!

Event comments:

Obviously I didn't have the race I wanted due to the knee issue. However, in retrospect, I got to enjoy this one as much or more than any other since I was able to take the time to visit with family and friends during the run. Seeing my kids and grandkids and getting big smiles and hugs from my grandkids was absolutely priceless. I'm still reliving those moments more than a week later and getting misty eyed just thinking about them. So, even though I finished roughly 2 1/2 hours later than I'd planned, it was still an awesome day and I have no complaints.
I know I'm biased but IMCDA is just a fantastic race. The town embraces the event wholeheartedly and the atmosphere is electric. Great volunteers too, without whom we could never race. I love this race and will continue to volunteer in the med tent over the next 5 years. I swore off doing another IM race after this one and still am pretty convinced this was my last one. That may change in the next year or two, especially if my son or brother decide to do one and I can race with them. We'll see. For now, sprints, Olys, and an occasional 1/2 IM will do just fine thank you!

Last updated: 2012-06-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:13:25 | 4224 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra ProX3
Course: Two loop rectangle
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 57F / 14C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 08:30
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
06:26:25 | 112 miles | 17.39 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Two loop course with long, sustained climbs.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 07:30
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
07:16:15 | 26.2 miles | 16m 39s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: 2 loop course with 4 good hill climbs.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-07-03 12:39 PM

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID
Subject: Ironman Coeur d'Alene

2012-07-03 1:55 PM
in reply to: #4292906

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene
Nice RR. Sorry about the IT issues. For a guy who says that he "can't" climb I would say otherwise. Your bike time seems really good to me given the nature of the course. Having ridden the SG IM course and this one in the same year, I think the CDA is tougher because of the constant rollers......others may disagree. Congrats on finishing....sure seems like you have great family and friends....cool to hear about their support.
2012-07-04 12:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

Great RR, Stan!  Your swim was awesome. My brother-in-law, nephew and a friend were out there on kayaks and saw some incredible stuff - don't know how you managed that time in those conditions... outstanding!!!

You say your not a climber on the bike, but I know from the Cd'A oly last year, you make up the time some where... that was a terrific time on that course.

Sorry the knee didn't cooperate for the run, but it's great you were able to enjoy the day and the support from friends and family... I saw bright green "Stan" shirts downtown - assumed that was your crew.

Congrats Ironman!

2012-07-04 5:59 AM

User image

New user
Salisbury

Thanks for everything Stan tour and all, Congrats man you were smoking it till the marathon, Great swim and bike for our age group! Get that IT band healed and you will be good as new. I was thinking about a different IM in 2014 but loved Coeur D Alene so much I want to return!

Next time I buy you lunch before the bike tour, and if you ever make your way to The Old North State look me up.

2012-07-05 3:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, WA

Great job big bro! You're an inspiration to me and I appreciate it! Glad I got to watch the swim start this year and it was fun to walk the last few miles with you.

I'm sure glad your in such good shape........it'll make packing my elk out of the mountains in September, that much easier for you.....hehe Tongue out

John

2012-07-10 2:53 PM

User image

Regular
Las Vegas
Great job. Thanks for getting the bike course tour organized, that was very helpful for me and my bro-in-law. Your efforts are greatly appreciated!

2012-07-10 3:53 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Great Job out there.  Lovely race report and way to make a day that had gone south a memorable experience.  I always say the view from the BOP is pretty good   Congrats on another IM finish!!
2012-07-12 4:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, TX

Stan, great to meet you before the race (thanks again for the tour!) and to see you out on the course a couple times!  Sorry about your IT band acting up, but glad you made it in for another IM finish!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Coeur d'Alene Rss Feed